Carbon creaking... is this normal

MancMissile
MancMissile Posts: 68
edited September 2014 in Road beginners
I've just purchased my first road bike, it's a full carbon Focus Cayo 105 Ltd.

I've noticed when riding I can hear a creaking noise from the frame / forks... Is this normal for carbon bikes?

Thanks
Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0

Comments

• Carlm90
    Carlm90 Posts: 92
    Does this happen all the time and with what riding style?
    I'm cycling 300 miles to Amsterdam on 15th -18th September to raise £1,200 for SCOPE. If you would like to sponsor me, please visit my blog http://www.carl2amsterdam.com
  • No not all the time but when I grip the bike hard and put power down or put pressure on the bars.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Try a smear of grease between stem and bars
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Are you using pedals which are already used, or did they come new on the bike?
  • No they are brand new pedals I've fitted to a brand new bike.

The sound seems like its coming from the forks or where the frame meets the forks.

Is it normal to hear some sort of noise from carbon bikes?
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    perfectly normal,

I have been riding a carbon MTB for a couple of years, and have a carbon road bike,

At first i though the frame must be spiltand was quite worried but was told its fine... They do make a lot of noise under pressure, lots of creaks and cracks sounds.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    :shock: My Boardman doesn't make a sound, even with my fat @rse sat on it!

I'd get it checked!
  • buder
    buder Posts: 154
    I would have to say its not normal sorry.

from what you briefly describe it may be your headset needs a slight tweak. I would try re-doing the headset pre-load and nipping the stem bolts up to recommended torque again.
  • Did you put the front wheel on yourself? Or did you take it off to get the bike home from the shop etc? Could be that the front QR is too tight.....took me ages to find this out when i got mine.....sounded for ages like the BB, but it was the front wheel
  • Well I did take the wheel off to transport but this was after I had already ridden it. It was already setup apart from the bars which needed fitting to the stem.

Buder - I'm pretty new to all this... could you explain what you mean by "I would try re-doing the headset pre-load and nipping the stem bolts up to recommended torque again."

Thanks
  • roadracedave
    roadracedave Posts: 107
    As OllyRidesFirst said, I would check the QR's. My bike was making a creaking sound for ages that I couldn't work out what it was. It sounded very much like the BB or headset, but after stripping and servicing both, it wasn't until I took the wheel out and put it back in, ensuring that the QR was tight, that it stopped.

Unless there is movement in the headset, i.e. the headset top cap moves when rocking bike forward and back with the front brake on, then the headset is likely to be correctly loaded.
  • Carlm90
    Carlm90 Posts: 92
    My carbon forks make some noise to when you put pressure on them slightly. You get worried but it's perfectly normal. Sort of like someone flicked the carbon fork right?
    I'm cycling 300 miles to Amsterdam on 15th -18th September to raise £1,200 for SCOPE. If you would like to sponsor me, please visit my blog http://www.carl2amsterdam.com
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    Normal? me thinks not! remove the seat post, apply assembly paste and reinsert to recommended torque values. remove the headset, and check its sufficiently grease. Remove all bolts and grease threads. remove chainset and remove and regrease the BB. Some possible sources there. Carbon frames can amplify the sound and it can sound like its from a different part of the frame too.
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    I had creaking, albeit my bike is part alu/carbon. Ended up being the headset.
    As others have stated i'd advise loosening off the headset/stem bolts re-greasing and torquing up again. If it persists try checking the pedals/BB area as it may be coming from there, i have been fooled by that before as well.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Anyone who says that a carbon bike creaking is normal is just deluded.
    The Tour of Britain is around soon enough... go catch a stage and listen to the pro bikes at work...thats all.
  • gilesjuk
    gilesjuk Posts: 340
    My creak around the front of the bike turned out to be the stem. Tried greasing it but still no go. Ended up replacing it and the bike is silent now.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    It's not uncommon but it is a sign that you should adjust something. The difficult part is finding the bolt that's causing it (remarkable how often it's your pedals, saddle rails or quick releases).
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Not normal. I've never had a creak from a carbon bike or fork but i have had a creak from the bar/stem area. Slacken it all off, drop the forks and tighten it up again.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    If you want to try to sort the headset out, here is a step by step walk through.

Unscrew the bolts on the stop, and the top cap on the top of the stem. Lossen them enough so everything moves around freely. Tighten up just the top cap enough until you feel no movement in the forks, spacers or stem when holding front brake and rocking bike back and forth, then align the stem and tighten those bolts up.

That may fix it.
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    As others have said look at headset and spacers, mine did this and since a dab of grease have not had a peep from it. Shouldn't happen I know but it's a simple fix.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Not everything that creaks is carbon.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I have a Focus Cayo (ultegra), got it this year. A friend of mine got one 2 years ago.

Mine creaked a little at the front end. I (re) tightened the headset (after loosing the stem nuts) and it went away. The same was with my friends.

I'd try that.
  • RowCycle wrote:
    I have a Focus Cayo (ultegra), got it this year. A friend of mine got one 2 years ago.

Mine creaked a little at the front end. I (re) tightened the headset (after loosing the stem nuts) and it went away. The same was with my friends.

I'd try that.

cheers mate will try that tonight
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    Are you using Look Keo pedals? They can creak like an old boat sometimes.
  • Tomatpots
    Tomatpots Posts: 11
    Hi

I have a similar problem with my Ribble Gran Fondu. After about 300 miles it started creaking . Tried everything and eventually found that the creaking went when I "borrowed" my friends front wheel!!
    Could this be the bearings?
    As the bike is only 5 months old should Ribble replace/fix the ITM Aero2.4 wheels that came with the bike.

Any advice appreciated
  • merak
    merak Posts: 323
    Sometimes a wheel creaks in the forks. Clean the forks dropouts with soapy water and make sure the QR is Goldilocks tight. Closing the QR shouldn't need Mr Universe.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Tomatpots wrote:
    Hi

I have a similar problem with my Ribble Gran Fondu. After about 300 miles it started creaking . Tried everything and eventually found that the creaking went when I "borrowed" my friends front wheel!!
    Could this be the bearings?
    As the bike is only 5 months old should Ribble replace/fix the ITM Aero2.4 wheels that came with the bike.

Any advice appreciated

I'd see if the wheel creaks in your friends bike as well.

In my experience, wheel bearings rattle rather than creak. Incidentally, my Gran Fondo started rattling recently (and I did initially think it was the wheels - Campag) - it appears to just have been the headset working a bit loose. I've tightened it up and the rattle seems to have disappeared but I was surprised it happened in the first place.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I bought a 2011 Focus Cayo 2 weeks ago. I have put around 250 miles on it and it has a creaking sound coming from the headset area. I contacted Wiggle who asked for it to be left into my LBS for the headset to be checked. They are going to refund me the cost. I have left it in and I will be collecting the bike tomorrow. I'll post what they found and if it has cured the creak. My mate also has a 2011 Cayo " I bought mine on his recommendation" and his is now creaking around the same area!!
  • jig
    jig Posts: 134
    I have had two cayos now (2006 and the 2011 model). The 2011 expert model came with a creek and the headset was at fault.

It then had another creek coming from the bottom bracket (so I thought) a couple of weeks ago after I cleaned it. A quick off and regrease of the pedals solved that one, so as thegreatdivide said, if you have keo pedels its worth giving those a quick clean up.

Excellent bikes though (once you have sorted ya creek!) :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jig wrote:
    I have had two cayos now (2006 and the 2011 model). The 2011 expert model came with a creek and the headset was at fault.

Your Cayo came with a creek? Bargain! How long is it? Is it navigable? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......