TDF 2011 Cleanest GT rides in years?

2»

Comments

• dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    ^^^
    But isn't it possible to maintain the micro dosing so that your blood values remain constant, thus fooling the passport. The only change would be if you stopped the dosing completely and certain blood values changed.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    dougzz wrote:
    ^^^
    But isn't it possible to maintain the micro dosing so that your blood values remain constant, thus fooling the passport. The only change would be if you stopped the dosing completely and certain blood values changed.

Kohl said exactly this and that as his values were so good he got a better contract out of it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    sherer wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    ^^^

Kohl said exactly this and that as his values were so good he got a better contract out of it.

And then they busted him. So he's not quite the genius he thinks he is.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Best tour Ive ever watched

(i didnt see 89)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    iainf72 wrote:
    To me, the most eyebrow raising performance of the Tour was Tommy V. If you're going to question anyone, I think he should be the first port of call. Evans seemed to have luck on his side this time, which helped.

Yes, I think that Evans was lucky -- Contador had a Giro/crashes in his legs and a bunch of GC guys crashed out, etc.

But don't you think that tactically the Schleck brothers were pathetic. Andy can't think his way out of a bag.

Evans was very good -- solid and smart. The clowns from Lux may have given this tour away.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I don't think any of the contenders who crashed out would have beaten Evans on that form. I would've liked to have seen what Wiggo could have done but with the timetrial that Evans put in I don't think he would have had a chance. If Contador hadn't done the Giro then he may have won but he shouldn't have been riding anyway.

Does Evans join Sastre as probably the only clean riders to win the Tour in the past 20 years?

In terms of people raising eyebrows as much as I like his style of racing I'd have to mention Thomas De Gendt.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    thegibdog wrote:
    I don't think any of the contenders who crashed out would have beaten Evans on that form. I would've liked to have seen what Wiggo could have done but with the timetrial that Evans put in I don't think he would have had a chance. If Contador hadn't done the Giro then he may have won but he shouldn't have been riding anyway.

Does Evans join Sastre as probably the only clean riders to win the Tour in the past 20 years?

In terms of people raising eyebrows as much as I like his style of racing I'd have to mention Thomas De Gendt.

What did he do in the tour? I didnt see much of him until alpe d'huez and the time trial the following day although i didnt see much of most stages until near the end. Maybe he saved his energy for the end of the three weeks?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I think we should stop fooling ourselves thinking cycling is clean.

Isn't Evans 34? Didn't a BMC soigneur get arrested for having doping substances just before the Tour? :)

Regarding Contador, I reckon if he hadn't lost 1.30 secs and injured his knee he would have deffinately been up in the podium. Then again, he shouldn't have been riding because of the "solomillo" anyway!

Tommy Voeckler climbing with the best as a 32 year old! And his best domestique outclimbing the best!

I still enjoyed though, although there were a lot of boring moments there were less than other years.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Evans only other TDF ascent of Alpe D;huez was also 2 mins 30 off Landis and Kloeden, who did high 38 minutes. This year he was around 42 minutes again. I think he was clean in 2006 and in 2011, hence no silly times up Alpe D;huez
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Evans only other TDF ascent of Alpe D;huez was also 2 mins 30 off Landis and Kloeden, who did high 38 minutes. This year he was around 42 minutes again. I think he was clean in 2006 and in 2011, hence no silly times up Alpe D;huez
    And 2008 also in about 42mins to Sastre's 39:31

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpe_d%27Huez#Ascent_times
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    If it has been the cleanest tour in ages, should we be giving some credit to the UCI & Mc Quaid?

People on here are quick to knock them at every opportunity so if the sport is going in the right direction why not applaud them?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I feel Evans deserves the benefit of the doubt. His career is all steady progress and the like of Pantani, Armstong..they;d put several minutes into him in the 2011 TDF, he'd be 7 minutes behind the 2005 Armstrong if we compare the trend in ascent times in the mlountains this TDF..the times prove it. Basso is also riding very well and very clean..that's why he's behind. ...maybe even a Herrera or Lemond, Fignon could have held Evans if we put the generations together..
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I do wonder what Contador would have done without the crashes. he lost at least a minute on crashes, 30 seconds in the TTT and then rode most of the tour on one knee :shock:

Let's hope Evans is clean and Sastre too. In the end we will never know but I think Evans was a truely worthy winner of the tour
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Hmmmmmmm, Sastre sub 40mins...maybe he had a tailwind.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Does anyone know anyway of finding out the time it took the autobus to climb the Alp? Where do you find individual riders (not winners) times for the climb?
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Does anyone know anyway of finding out the time it took the autobus to climb the Alp? Where do you find individual riders (not winners) times for the climb?

Dunno. According to l'equipe they were all timed but i dont know where to find the actual times.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    thegibdog wrote:

What did he do in the tour? I didnt see much of him until alpe d'huez and the time trial the following day although i didnt see much of most stages until near the end. Maybe he saved his energy for the end of the three weeks?
    Yeah, maybe.