Talking in your sleep?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
anyone do it?

My mrs reckons im doing it most nights an reckons that im talking to someone an even pausing waiting for responses to whatever im saying

i'm waiting for the day i'm a having a hot dream an call out a girls name!

do you think im possessed?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've certainly been known to talk in my sleep - but the weirdest experience is having sleep conversations with my wife.

I can get into this bizarre sort of fugue state where I'm awake and alert and having the conversation, but at the same time aware that I'm still sort of dreaming ao I can perfectly rationaly argue that we need to cancel our holidays because the albatross from the Rescuers is unable to carry both us and our luggage due to weight restrictions. And then remember it all in the morning.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    blimey!

im not that bad but i can have quite rational conversations according to her an i will respond with proper answers if she asks me something

i don't really remember it in the morning, but i remember something happening but i dont knwo what, if that makes sense..?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    SimonAH wrote:
    I can get into this bizarre sort of fugue state where I'm awake and alert and having the conversation, but at the same time aware that I'm still sort of dreaming ao I can perfectly rationaly argue that we need to cancel our holidays because the albatross from the Rescuers is unable to carry both us and our luggage due to weight restrictions. And then remember it all in the morning.

Wow. I want a go on what you're having!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I mumble in my sleep but that's about it. Jake has full on arguements with everyone in his dreams, but it's usually the first sign that a few days later he will start to get flashbacks and start punching and kicking out in his sleep :(
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    SimonAH
    I've done something similar. Say my alarm has gone off, but I'm drifitng back to sleep. If someone says something to me, I'll mix it in with any dream I might be having at the time, and as you say, start saying "no, I can't come down for breakfast, the airship's still on fire, but we'll be okay once we're past the volcano" Normally I'll wake up half way through saying it and think "WTactualF am I takling about?!"

Apparently I burst out laughing in my sleep the other week. Covering my mouth like I was trying to stifle it, but I was giggling away like a schoolgirl.

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • NGale
    bails87 wrote:
    SimonAH
    I've done something similar. Say my alarm has gone off, but I'm drifitng back to sleep. If someone says something to me, I'll mix it in with any dream I might be having at the time, and as you say, start saying "no, I can't come down for breakfast, the airship's still on fire, but we'll be okay once we're past the volcano" Normally I'll wake up half way through saying it and think "WTactualF am I takling about?!"

Apparently I burst out laughing in my sleep the other week. Covering my mouth like I was trying to stifle it, but I was giggling away like a schoolgirl.

ahhh now laughing in my sleep I do do. On unit camp with cadets a few weeks back, I woke up the other staff in the cabin at 3 in the morning laughing. :shock:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    My wife sometimes sleep talks:

Most disturbing example was when whe commanded "down boy, down". I got up and made a cup of tea....

I sleep far too heavily for sleep talking - hopefully I am safe from shouting out some ex-girlfriends name.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    davis wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Wow. I want a go on what you're having!

My ex-wife was like this. I've realised she's asleep and had a great conversation about the Giant Carrot. :lol::lol:

She was getting REALLY angry and I was almost wetting myself with laughter which just made her worse. She'll have absolutely no idea about it the next morning, but WILL know something happened as soon as she would see me grinning :D

Mind you... I did kind of get her back: I had this one dream where she was asleep in the middle of the road and there was this HUGE lorry bearing down on her. I'm frantically trying to get her to wake up: shaking her, shouting at her, and nothing is happening! Eventually she rolls over out the way and the lorry goes past.

Except.... the whole shaking and shouting thing? Well, I was actually doing that TO her. She was fast asleep until she was woken by me SCREAMING at her to WAKE UP!!!!! GET UP!!!! NOWWWWW!!!!!!! While violently shaking her side to side by her shoulders. She's now wide awake thinking we're about to die / get murdered / robbed and is screaming herself now: WHAT!! WHAAAAT!!! Heart pounding, blood rushing, looking everywhere for trouble.

Me? zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Next morning - I got such a bloody earful.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    My Mrs is awful for sleep talking etc. She'll suddenly sit bolt upright panicking about something being on the bed - scares the crap out of me and she never remembers in the morning. She also likes to get up, sit on the edge of the bed and have nonsensical conversations with imaginary people. These can be conducted in English, German or Turkish. :shock:
  • SimonAH
    How about sleep sex? I quite regularly wake up 'on the job' :oops:

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I remember this doing the rounds last year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mAAOaoswXw

Worth looking for the rest of the vids.

edit: Just found the blog. http://sleeptalkinman.blogspot.com/ Needs sound,
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Apparently I do all random sorts when i'm asleep such as:

1. Sometimes I make cycling actions with my legs, which quite annoys the wife.

2. I have been known to sit bolt up right and extend my arms like a stage winner on the Tour de France.

3. Grab the pillow from under my wifes head and use it myself.

I'm not quite sure how we actually manage to sleep in the same bed, if I were her I think i'd be after seperate beds, if not rooms!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    SimonAH wrote:

As in Mrs Simon has noticed some unconscious stiffness and decided to jump on? Or you've sleepwalked your way into the neighbours house and are 'parting the seals'*.

*Copyright KB 2011.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EKE_38BPM

• SimonAH
    I will be having a dream involving being in bed with a woman, dream will progress through foreplay to making the beast with two backs - at which point the movement of the full tilt boogie is sufficient to wake me up. :D

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    bails87 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

As in Mrs Simon has noticed some unconscious stiffness and decided to jump on? Or you've sleepwalked your way into the neighbours house and are 'parting the seals'*.

*Copyright KB 2011.

you owe me a new keyboard, laptop,screen and desk. Also an apology to the poor girl that was walking past at the time.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • EKE_38BPM
    I've been listening to Sleep Talkin' Man and chuckling to myself for ages rather than working.

Some examples of what he says:
    "I'll tell you what's wrong with this country: Our proximity to France!"
    "It's a fruit basket. Bloody useless. It rots after a few days, and everything it holds gets all gooey. Looks pretty, though. My fruit basket."
    "Argh! You love my boat! It's the best splashy splashy time anyone can have. I'll slit your throat for a gold coin. Argh! Argh, argh. Splishy splashy time."

His sub-concious is clearly insane and needs to be sectioned.

• NGale
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I've been listening to Sleep Talkin' Man and chuckling to myself for ages rather than working.

Some examples of what he says:
    "I'll tell you what's wrong with this country: Our proximity to France!"
    "It's a fruit basket. Bloody useless. It rots after a few days, and everything it holds gets all gooey. Looks pretty, though. My fruit basket."
    "Argh! You love my boat! It's the best splashy splashy time anyone can have. I'll slit your throat for a gold coin. Argh! Argh, argh. Splishy splashy time."

His sub-concious is clearly insane and needs to be sectioned.

Heck he's right about the first point though :wink::lol:
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Many years ago when I was married, my sleeptalking mention of 'Sarah' cost me several weeks of sexual abstinence, and for years after she would be brought up in rows 'well, let Sarah do your f*cking ironing then you b*stard' sort of thing.

I did not, and never did, know or have contact with anyone called Sarah, but of course the more I protested my innocence the less I was believed. I have no recollection of what the dream was about either. The non-existant Sarah may even have been one of the factors in our eventual divorce. To be fair, though, the main reason was her affair with my best mate.

I still miss him.

But, hey, what a mate!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bails87 wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

*Copyright KB 2011.

you owe me a new keyboard, laptop,screen and desk. Also an apology to the poor girl that was walking past at the time.

SimonAH that could be classed as rape in Sweden. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    SimonAH wrote:
    I've certainly been known to talk in my sleep - but the weirdest experience is having sleep conversations with my wife.

Any chance of getting £50 worth of whatever you smoked after dinner that night?
  • Twisterboy
    Twisterboy Posts: 311
    Yep I do, mine has mostly been me as a James Bond type of spy according to the wife.

David
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    My Mrs is awful for sleep talking etc. She'll suddenly sit bolt upright panicking about something being on the bed - scares the crap out of me and she never remembers in the morning. She also likes to get up, sit on the edge of the bed and have nonsensical conversations with imaginary people. These can be conducted in English, German or Turkish. :shock:

Semi-serious for a second - does she speak these languages? The reason i ask is that an ex-g/f of mine used to sleep-walk and sleep-talk and have perfectly rational conversations with some invisible person... except in different languages, including French, Italian, German and something we thought was Gaelic by the intonation (after recording and transcribing it, some of it made sense, some was not translatable). Yet she didn't knowingly speak any of these languages with the exception of a smattering of French, certainly not enough to hold a conversation. Also the content of the conversation was rarely about modern day, but about some historical event and appeared contemporary with that event... weird or what?
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Don't talk but do walk. Have woken up to find that, at some point in the night, I've got up and turned on every single light in the house. Have also come to on the stairs, with all my bed linen under my arm.

It's even worse when I'm abroad. It can't be long before I lock myself out of some hotel room.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've never talked in my sleep although my current partner used to... Not anymore though. I can consiously wake myself up from dreams though. I am in the middle of a nightmare and realise I am in a dream and physically pull one of my eyelids open.... It usually takes a bit of time to actually wake up and I can usually see the room through the eye I am pulling open and the dream in my mind superimposed over each other but eventually the dream/nightmare disappears....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    mudcow007 wrote:
    anyone do it?

My mrs reckons im doing it most nights an reckons that im talking to someone an even pausing waiting for responses to whatever im saying

i'm waiting for the day i'm a having a hot dream an call out a girls name!

do you think im possessed?

Wait until she records you and uses it as evidence :wink::lol:
  • KeimanP
    KeimanP Posts: 46
    DesWeller wrote:
    It can't be long before I lock myself out of some hotel room.

My Sister is bad for sleep walking and talking and so is my Dad.

When my parents were on holiday a few years ago my Dad went on one of his walks in the hotel, the thing is he sleeps naked and ended up walking out of the bedroom door onto the hotel landing. At which point the bright lights brought him round and he realised what was happening just as the 'click' of the door closing happened.

My mum unfortunately for him is a sound sleeper, and no banging on the door would wake her!, He considered the going out of the fire exit and climbing accross two balconys knowing the patio door was open in their room but decided against it thinking being caught stark naked on the side of a hotel, or worse falling and being found naked were not something he wanted to do. His decision was to boldly walk into reception to ask to be let back into his room... it only got worse as the late transfer coach arrived as he was stood at the desk.

In the morning he was laid in bed smilling at my mum as she woke up with a 'Whats happened' expression on her face and was mortified by the nights events!
    Specialized Allez Sport 2010
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    My ex would get out of bed and find a pair of scissors or knife, get back into bed, and start muttering to herself while she cut her hair.

It was freaky as hell waking up to that.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I get quite bad on holidays too.

I once remember coming around with a lilo under my arm screaming to my missus that the lilo had died (it had gone down). I was scared of these dead lilos and the weird thing is, I kind of came around knowing what I'd just been saying and doing. It's like coming out of hypnotism or something!?

Anyway, this guy always makes me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EixXIuwVn7g

Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I sleep walk occasionally and on one occasion walked into a girls bedroom (in a shared house), sat down on the bed, had a conversation with her and then walked back to my room.

all of which was done naked and to this day I've never had the balls to ask if the light was on!