Route to Box Hill

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
Not sure if this is the right section but as I'll be heading there to train...

What's the best route from south London, Clapham, to Box Hill? After an ordeal on the A3 recently, I'm keen to avoid any roads which are too busy.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Saw a similar thread last week. Have a plot on Google maps but use the walking option on get directions.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    many different ways. use your imagination!

i would head out towards Sutton then across to epsom then leatherhead. Then the climb up to headley is pretty tasty and over the top of Box Hill descend and turn round and go the opposite way.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    jocksyboy wrote:
    i would head out towards Sutton then across to epsom then leatherhead. Then the climb up to headley is pretty tasty and over the top of Box Hill descend and turn round and go the opposite way.

+1 for that, it's the way i often go...

or you could go sutton-epsom-langley vale-walton on the hill-headley-little switzerland-box hill
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I prefer to go through Sutton, down Brighton Road, through Banstead and Tadworth and up the longer gentle side of Box Hill, then go down the Zig Zag road and back up as you see fit.

like here

A nice ride is as above but at the bottom of Zig Zag Road go on to Dorking and take the Coldharbour Lane through Coldharbour village to the top then back again.
  • airbusboy
    airbusboy Posts: 231
    Hey,

I live in clapham. I find the best way for me (the only real way i've been).... Is head out of clapham towards wimbledon, kingston, hampton court esher cobham then effingham station, ranmore common, then up the Zig Zag... then descend home via Epsom. (Look at the kingston wheelers website (not a member) but they have maps of there routes which inc bo hill).

Rgds

Edited to add Ps. it's a good routing to link into leith Hill and deeper into surrey. it's about a 60-70mi (ish) spin for just box hill and then 90mi to inc leith etc. If you end up shagged from too much training the train from redhill goes direct to clapham junc... and you can get there from the top of box hill down to bletchworth, through reigate (also has a station) and then to redhill.
    'Ride hard for those who can't.....'
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Thanks for the info. Now to see if I can get up it on a double.
  • Chris McG
    Chris McG Posts: 189
    I can, you'll be fine. Its only like 15% maximum on the corners...
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."