Pedal for scotland sportive 2011

linnibob
linnibob Posts: 17
edited September 2011 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
evening all

I have signed up to do my very first sportive this sept and just wanted some advice from those that did it last year....

In my last 8 weeks of training and live about 8 miles from Glasgow so planning to ride some of the route during the training but not sure what to expect.

I class myself as a very novice rider.

Is the ride very hilly don't want to lack out on the hill training if there a few

Just looking for some advice from those who have done it before :)

L

Comments

• BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    If it's the shorter route (50mls or so) you'll be fine. It's pretty flat to be honest.
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    agree with above................do the 50 miler.

Lovely course and not hilly. Great atmosphere and you get plenty of stops. Finishes this year at Murrayfield I think.

100 miler is a different story but aim for it next year.
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • linnibob
    Well this is the issue i have signed up for the 100 mile doing it for charity for my niece who was stillborn in April so i have the motivation and i have it im my legs to do the milage i just didnt know what to expect really.

I mean dont get me wrong i can cycle so not a complete beginner doing around 45 - 50 miles at the weekends and then commuting into work, but my legs just seem to give up on the hills :(

If need be ill just get off and walk :)

L
  • AndyD2574
    AndyD2574 Posts: 1,034
    linnibob wrote:
    Well this is the issue i have signed up for the 100 mile doing it for charity for my niece who was stillborn in April so i have the motivation and i have it im my legs to do the milage i just didnt know what to expect really.

I mean dont get me wrong i can cycle so not a complete beginner doing around 45 - 50 miles at the weekends and then commuting into work, but my legs just seem to give up on the hills :(

If need be ill just get off and walk :)

L

If you are doing 50 miles then you will do teh 100 miler as long as you pace yourself. If teh course is as it was last year there are no really really steep hills but lots of kicks and drags. Sounds like you have teh motive and reason to ride it mate so all the best.
    Hope you raise loads of cash! :D
    Specialized S Works Venge
    Argon18 E114
    Specialized Langster Single Speed
    Scott Spark Expert 29'er
    GT Avalanche
    http://www.glasgowgreencycleclub.co.uk
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    As Andy said, there are no big climbs. It's Glasgow to Edinburgh, so you're in the flat-ish ground between the Highlands and the Southern Uplands. It's remarkably flat for a sportive.

There's a couple of long climbs, such as out of the Clyde valley at the start and along the Irvine valley from Galston, but they are very gradual.

There's the odd sharp rise, such as the 10 %er just before you reach the Strathaven-Muirkirk road, but they're very short.

Good advice for your first sportive, and especially if it's your first time doing the distance, is to take it easy for the first half and then, if your legs still feel fresh, pick up the pace.

Taking it easy is harder than it sounds. Enthusiasm and excitement can carry you away.

Good luck, and I hope the weather's fine - 'cause I'm doing it too!
  • linnibob
    Brilliant guys thanks very much. I am hoping the weather is good as a 100 miles in the rain over the moors is not appealing lol

Really looking forward to and def have a great reason to do it so got all the motivation i need.

Your absoultly right i tend to get carried away with myself and go with the crowd but i will need to control that and start of steady.

Cant wait now never done an event like this before so hopefully i dont end up upsetting someone as im going to slow up a hill lol but seeing as ill be right at the back there is probably no danger of that :)

Also heard a few people say that there are a lot of hardcore cyclists that can be a bit snooty doing the sportive course hopefully i dont bump into them lol

Thanks for the advice bring on the 11th :)
  • Snoppy
    Snoppy Posts: 37
    You will enjoy it! Should be a great event :)
    Also heard a few people say that there are a lot of hardcore cyclists that can be a bit snooty doing the sportive course hopefully i dont bump into them lol

Arseholes
  • nhoj
    There were all sorts doing the sportive last year. I think someone said there were about 900 folk.

If it's the same route, here it is, with a profile of the hills:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=119063
  • linnibob, going by the official list in the Sun (which I believe is allegedly a "newspaper" :lol: ), there were 574 taking part in the sportive with 548 completing the course (I suppose there may have been others who didn't fit a timing chip). Finishing times varied from 4 hr 35min 29s to 9:47:39. The vast majority finished in the 6 to 7 1/2 hour range. So with your lack of experience, I think yu should be quite safe as far as bumping into any snobs! They probably won't even hang around long enough at the end for you to see them either! :lol:

To be fair though, I didn't encounter anyone like that although the Edinburgh Road Club guys were doing it as a serious training run (though from talking to some of them during the ride I don't think it was a universally popular idea to take it quite so seriously as they were expected to. :roll: )

In short, don't be concerned by how others do it, just do it your way. Last year was my first sportive and I only occasionally do a ride of 100 miles or more (just did my first of this calendar year last week) and I expect to be entering this year too. Overall, it was a well-organised event, only marred by the buses and bikes from Edinburgh arriving late and leaving us scrabbling to get chips fitted and last preparations made before rushing to the start ahead of the challenge ride group. It was frustrating as I was on the first bus and we were ready to leave Edinburgh (as were our bikes) in plenty time but were held back by whoever was in charge of the buses.

A word of advice: Make sure you have your own tools and spare tube(s)/pump etc. I stopped to help a fellow rider whose friend had gone ahead, leaving him without tools to fix his puncture, and nobody before me had stopped to help, despite this being an officially requested thing to do. There is mechanical backup (as well as medical assistance but it's obviously quicker if you're competent enough to do your own minor repairs.Just be sure to offer help others if you can or maybe Karma will come back to bite you in the future! :wink: Oh, and make sure you have the control centre number programmed into your phone in case you need that assistance.

Most importantly, enjoy it, There a short, sharp climb of over 20% (at Tinto, 59 miles I think) which everyone around me walked up. I made it myself with people calling me brave. "Stupid" I said! :lol: The feed stations are well stocked with gels and drink tablets as well as fruit and chocolate and energy-giving bars. And the last station had free sandwiches which were gratefully received. You won't need to spend any money on nutrition till the end of the ride, it's all-inclusive.

Have fun! 8)

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
    Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
    Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
    Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)
  • nhoj
    Overall, it was a well-organised event, only marred by the buses and bikes from Edinburgh arriving late and leaving us scrabbling to get chips fitted and last preparations made before rushing to the start ahead of the challenge ride group. It was frustrating as I was on the first bus and we were ready to leave Edinburgh (as were our bikes) in plenty time but were held back by whoever was in charge of the buses.
    Ah, that explains the delay at the start. I was among the last to set off and I wondered why our group was being held back for 15-20 mins. Well, it wasn't very warm standing still in shorts and t-shirt at 7:30!

I don't much like that small starting window. Officially, I seem to remember, you had to leave before 7:30, otherwise they'd send you on the shorter route. I can understand that some riders will take longer and so want to start earlier, but can't they let people set off at, say, 10 and still do the long route?
  • nhoj wrote:
    Ah, that explains the delay at the start. I was among the last to set off and I wondered why our group was being held back for 15-20 mins. Well, it wasn't very warm standing still in shorts and t-shirt at 7:30!

... but can't they let people set off at, say, 10 and still do the long route?

It seems communications weren't too great at either end as far as that's concerned then! There was a vague announcement about the delay due to the Edinburgh entrants arriving late but it wasn't made clear why. It was frustrating for those of us on bus 1 in particular as the driver had actually started to pull out from the kerb before his colleague waved him to wait. Nobody ever told us why and I don't think even the driver was told!

There should have been no need to go in a convoy as surely they chose driver who knew the way to Glasgow! :lol: Fingers crossed they get it right this year and maybe the queue for the "natural break facilities" won't be so frantic for those of us coming through. :D I was so late away that there were only a handful of us on the road at first and a lack of marshals even by then meant I was glad of my Garmin to reassure myself and another rider we were still on course! :shock:

As for the start window, I can see your point but I suppose the idea is to get as many people through the course as soon as possible 1) before traffic gets heavier and 2) so the marshals nearer the start of the route can tidy up and knock off once the last rider is through. Also, it means the support van(s) and ambulance have less of the route to cover as the day goes on. Just my thoughts, right or wrong.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
  • On the subject of the course, has anyone been able to download this year's route via Google Earth as the PfS website claims is possible? I don't really use "Earth" much as it's a resource hog on the PC but I want to put the route in my Garmin and I'm not certain if it's precisely the same other than the change of finish (Victoria Park versus Murrayfield) and indeed what the precise route into Murrayfield will be.

I don't know if it's me and my lack of "Earth" experience or if the link isn't actually on the PfS site. I can only get the Google maps course to open up on screen but with no option to view it in "Earth".

Any ideas?

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
  • WTF
    WTF Posts: 52
    Couldn`t get any map to work on that site in explorer or firefox and I had to use firefox to fill out application form.
    Hope they organise the sportive better.
  • I got the map to pop up in Firefox and Opera but neither would give me an "Earth" option. I'm guessing the info is still related to last year's event and they haven't realised.

Still to get my entry in so I can't comment on the issue you had.

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    They have updated the routes to show how they get to the new finish. But I don't see a download option either.

Like the new finish point mind you. Will be much easier to get picked up from that side of Edinburgh for me.
  • nhoj
    As for the start window, I can see your point but I suppose the idea is to get as many people through the course as soon as possible 1) before traffic gets heavier and 2) so the marshals nearer the start of the route can tidy up and knock off once the last rider is through. Also, it means the support van(s) and ambulance have less of the route to cover as the day goes on. Just my thoughts, right or wrong.
    I think you're right. I'm just moaning about having to get up so early on a Sunday.

But it's worth it of course!
  • nhoj
    Did anyone else get an e-mail saying there's still time to register? I registered shortly after last year's event. Now I'm wondering if I really am registered.
  • suzyb
    nhoj wrote:
    Did anyone else get an e-mail saying there's still time to register? I registered shortly after last year's event. Now I'm wondering if I really am registered.
    I've had several emails and leaflets about registering despite registering several months ago.

I don't think you really hear anything about being registered until you get your pack with your number sent to you.
  • I signed up for the Sportive a few weeks ago and STILL haven't received my entry details - the organisers aren't answering the phone / emails. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
    Not best pleased...
  • I signed up for the Sportive a few weeks ago and STILL haven't received my entry details - the organisers aren't answering the phone / emails. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
    Not best pleased...

I only got my number etc on Friday so i think alot of people will still be receiving their packs today and tomorrow.
  • suzyb
    I got mine on Saturday so they are sending them out.
  • I got my entry pack for the 50 miler this morning.
  • nhoj
    Yep, got my pack this morning too, but they're still asking me if I want to sign up!
  • nhoj
    The route profile looks a wee bit off.

The envelope with the timing tag says the tag and ties don't need to be returned, but the leaflet says there's a £10 fine if you don't.

There's no mention that the Douglas feedstation isn't timed.

That's two years now the poor folk of "Gelspin" have been slighted. :)
  • WTF
    I recieved my pack today and also an answer to email as well.

Packs being sent daily was the answer.

HTH

Sportive is now only 94 miles ,do I recieve a partial refund ? :D
  • WTF
    nhoj wrote:
    The envelope with the timing tag says the tag and ties don't need to be returned, but the leaflet says there's a £10 fine if you don't.

They do not need returned but the charge refers to obtaining another one if you lose yours before the start.
  • nhoj
    Cool, thanks for that.
  • Got mine through this morning for the sportive route. Looking forward and hoping for a dry day
    Kuota Kharma 2011

Pinarello FP1
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    We're doing the 50 mile route.
    S-l-o-w-l-y. Riding with hubby, brother and sister-in-law and two enthusiastic children. Packs have arrived, we're worried about the weather, but even if it's a hurricance, we're going.

But I would be grateful for any advice about parking. We can't get to Glasgow by public transport in time, and we can't afford to stay in Glasgow overnight. Hubby and I did Pedal for Scotland a few years ago, and we arrived early and parked just across from Glasgow Green in some wasteland (with dozens of others). It's just dawned on us that with the 100 milers starting before us, parking will be restricted.

Any suggestions?
  • hiya i got my pack through on Saturday so they will likely be here this week at some point i would imagine

Hope it arrives soon looking forward to it although not the apparent weather we are due to get !!!