456 Summer Season- Time for a change

2»

Comments

• dc71
    dc71 Posts: 170
    Angry Bird wrote:
    all I need to sort out now is a seat post, some tubes and a chainguide.

If you don't need a dropper post, this is a bargain:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35807
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    So, big news.

It's finished. May change a few things over time, got a few bars to experiment with, not sure yet, need to shorten the rear brake hose but discovered I've run out of brake fluid so can't be bothered.

Took it out for a ride earlier, impressions are that it's not as heavy as I'd expected, in terms of weight I've not got scales but seems to be only slightly heavier than my brothers cube acid, weighs a shed load more than the orange though. When riding it climbed respectably considering the gearing and weight and geometry, manages singletrack well enough. Obviously it's not as good as the XC bike but still I didn't feel like the bike struggled too much, no doubt I'd be quicker on the XC bike but that's not what this is for.

On the descents it was inspiring, really ate up everything I could throw at it, chucked it down some stuff I've not dared to do on the orange before simply because it would probably break the bike, launched off a few reasonably sized drops varying between about 4-5,1/2 ft with no problems. Most imporantly finished the descents feeling amazing with a massive grin, in fact I think I was smiling most of the ride home too.

6106379169_9fa6629668_z.jpg

Only problem is I'm lacking space in the shed now...

6106381833_dac65945f1_z.jpg
  • Looking good there, shed dont look very secure :? :?
  • angry_bird
    toastedone wrote:
    Looking good there, shed dont look very secure :? :?

Cheers, haha they're insured :lol:

The shed is behind 2 high locked and bolted gates, the windows are about 2 inches away from the wall, it's right outside the kitchen window, underneath 2 bedroom windows, with 2 locks on the shed itself, normally my bikes are left locked together, only now it's getting trickier now with more of them. Probably should cut a hole out of the floor too because it's on a concrete base with an anchor point underneath it that isn't being used at the moment.

Could be more secure but meh, it's done the job up unitl now *touches wood*
  • When are you going on holiday?

I keep mine in my garage in my garden, my garden is spot lit on movement sensors and my garage is sensor alarmed.

Is it your first 456?
  • angry_bird
    toastedone wrote:
    When are you going on holiday?

I keep mine in my garage in my garden, my garden is spot lit on movement sensors and my garage is sensor alarmed.

Is it your first 456?

Tomorrow :lol: Would you like my address too?

Nice, wish I had a garage, I would keep it inside if I could but I can't, best option I have. To be fair they're not there all the time, when I'm at uni they live in my room down there, although my shed's a lot more secure than my new flat :lol:

Yup first 456, after about an hour and half of riding I'm loving it, very tempted to take it with me to the lakes for the week now. Will decide between it and the orange in the morning.
  • I love my 456, my best buy by far
  • angry_bird
    I'm very impressed with it, and have been with the few others I've riddne. I have to admit I'm quite tempted by the idea of either a standard 456 or carbon 456 in the future as an all round trail bike sort of thing.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks nice! :D
    I'm running domain 318s on my patriot, really capable fork for the price, really liking them, they could just be a bit lighter...

And yeah, my 456 is great for general trail/xc duties :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    edited October 2011
    Time for a spec me thinks.

Frame: 456 Summer Season 18" Red

Forks: RockShox Domain RC U-Turn 115-160mm
    Headset: FSA Pig DH Pro

Wheels: Hope Pro 2 Evo- gold, Mavic EX721
    Tyres: Maxxis Highrollers (2.5/2.35 42A Supertacky front, 2.35 60A rear)

Cranks: SLX 36t with bashguard and Superstar Plasma guide- gold
    Rear Mech: Shimano Saint
    Shifter: SLX
    Cassette: XT (possibly to be replaced with ultegra, we'll see how this bike gets used :wink: )
    Chain: XT

Brakes: Avid Elivir R 185mm

Saddle: SDG Bel Air
    Seatpost: Superstar Simple (when it arrives)
    Seatpost clamp: Hope 30.0mm gold
    Stem: Superstar Razor
    Bars: It doesn't have any at the moment... I borrowed them for the Orange
    Grips: Superstar Red Lock on with Gold Lock Rings
  • Looking good. Very similar build to mine, bit higher spec but will do the same job.
    Should be HUGE fun on the DH trails, great freeride bike as well.
    Only thing I would say is that if your planning on doing downhill on it take the spacers out from under the stem to get the bars nice & low, mine started out high until I found out that was the reason that I kept loosing the front in turns.
    I have the choice of selling either my Trance or Summer Season now & for me there is no competition, the Trance is going.
    Enjoy :)
  • angry_bird
    RockmonkeySC Cheers

Wow. Took it to Cannock for the day today.

Morning I did FtD and the Monkey, it coped ok with it, obviously it isn't really built for that sort of stuff, and did take a while to drag around. Not that it was bad but I just noticed how much more work I had to put in compared to the XC bike, but yet again it climbed suprisingly well.

It came through on the descents though but did seem a little overkill and I think I'd have enjoyed it more on the orange, the tighter twistier stuff really highlighted how slack it was and it felt like a bit of a barge at times.

Then in the afternoon I headed up to Stile Cop. It came alive there, really went well, it's a bike that just loves you to chuck it down a hill with your arse hanging out, it just felt so natural and clicked straight away. Can't wait to get it back up there, sadly I'm heading back down to uni in a couple of days... better get the riding in while I can.
  • angry_bird
    New bars are finally on, Gusset Slade 760mm. Feels very nice now.

Anyways I'm bored so here's some more pictures
    6354138361_db392a0d29_z.jpg
    6354129433_c1c75b4248_z.jpg
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    That is lovely! personaly if i was to build a ss i would go for mint sauce green, with some lime green and gold bits, but red is good too :lol:
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • angry_bird
    Lewis A wrote:
    That is lovely! personaly if i was to build a ss i would go for mint sauce green, with some lime green and gold bits, but red is good too :lol:

Cheers, I have a thing for red bikes though, they're faster.

Anyway here's a photo of it looking messy at Cwmcarn

387193_10150443490297651_504117650_8841528_409975181_n.jpg
    Thrilled with the way it handled the DH, hit the red a fair few times and a couple of runs down the black, it ate it all up. The middle section between the tunnel and the road was a bit interesting, and did take a bit of work with it being a HT. It suprised a couple of the other guys on the uplift though by the way it handled stuff and the fact that I didn't rattle my teeth out and my legs didn't fall off chasing them down :lol:
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    edited December 2011
    Wow, that is slacker than a very slack, slack thing! Must be a beast on the DH track. Nice rig.

I can't wait to take the Spicy to Stile Cop on monday for the first time. I've taken the hardtail in october but haven't been able to get back since :(
  • If I see you at CC, i'm stealing that rear mech :wink::lol:

Hows the Domain?
  • angry_bird
    Shame I won't be back for a while then, bloody uni :roll:

The domains are impressive, in fact they've performed better than I'd expected them. For most of the time I'm just able to forget about them, let them do their job and concentrate on the riding which I like, didn't have to worry about what was going on up front because they took everything in their stride and didn't leave me wanting more from them.
  • angry_bird
    New photos

The chainguide was f****** useless with the bash, so ditched it and went for a full top guide. Of course this meant I needed new chainring bolts so some nice gold ones seemed appropriate :lol:

7527595600_89772593c0_z.jpg

7527591526_821485ffcd_z.jpg

I really love that bike.
  • angry_bird
    Right then, as summer is on the way it only seems right that I start planning for next winter. Which is where the 456 is coming in, currently the frame is in the shed doing sod all.

The plan is to build it as a rigid single speed summer season winter bike. I was thinking 69er maybe, but I've got a pair of 26 inch wheels, and to be honest, I may as well use them.

8634883656_b26d8fdca7_z.jpg

Plan is:
    Summer season frame, rigid steel fork, need to get a pair at some point, was thinking of going carbon but I'm not sure how well balanced the bike would be. Deore 525 hubs, Mavic XM117 rims, got these in the shed and deore disc brakes, need to buy these.

Also need to source a set of cranks, then it's a case of getting some singlespeeding kit from superstar, chain, a new stem, saddle and that should be it really. Not really got a budget but shouldn't cost me too much, already got a seatpost, clamp, bars, grips, pedals, tyres etc. lying around.

The only other issue is where to keep it as I'm quickly running out of space...
  • angry_bird
    Update time:

Got a predicament. On-one are giving me a set of 170mm RS Lyrik RCs for the El Guapo, yeah I know, giving me them :shock:

This leaves me with the Domains spare, I have a couple of spare wheelsets lying around, one XC and one DH. Options are:

a) Sell the domains and stick to the SS rigid plans.

b) Whack the domains back into the 456, put the DH wheels back on it, transfer the drivetrain across and buy a new 10 speed one on the El Guapo? Will cost a little more though but I'll get the old 456 back and the EG too.

Part of me wants to have the 456 back as it was, I really loved it, was a special bike for me. At the same time I'm really fancying a single speed for winter simplicity and uni commuting with the idea to start doing a bit of bikepacking with it at some point albeit not in the near future so maybe not a consideration.

Guess I could singlespeed it with the domains as a compromise...
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Free forks!!!! :shock: And not cheapy shit either!!!

I'd build it up with the domains and use it as it was, although then I guess its very similar to the el guapo...

Either way you're ending up with a free set of works, you're winning whichever way you look at it!
  • angry_bird
    Yeah, that's my worry, it'll be too similar and won't get used…

As for the forks, yep, can't wait, dropping about 6-700g off the weight :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Reading this makes me want my old 456ss with domains back again. So much fun
  • angry_bird
    Reading this makes me want my old 456ss with domains back again. So much fun

Yeah. They're great bikes, stupid, but great fun.

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that I don't have the need for a big hardtail again and as I've already got my "more beers less gears" headset top cap I'm pretty much set on going down the singlespeed route. Domains will go to the classifieds.

It'll make a good bike for me to have down at uni with me, especially as most of the riding down here resembles the Somme from October through to April, and get more use this way. Hopefully get on building it over the next month.