456 Summer Season- Time for a change

angry_bird
angry_bird Posts: 3,786
edited June 2013 in Your mountain bikes
So I decided after much thought that I'd buy a summer season instead of a regular 456 frame. It's going to be for some DH and fooling about on, stuff the other bike really won't be much use for. Building it big, and heavy, but weight isn't really a concern if I'm honest.

Anyway here's a few pics of the frame.

5958695640_1a9f0475fa.jpg
5958678770_635bfeef83.jpg
5958682460_a8b9a0a5aa.jpg

The plan is over the next few weeks to get. Colour-wise I'll be going mostly black I think.

RS Domains or Lyriks up front.
A nice strong wheelset, probably invest a fair bit in the wheels.
1x9 drivetrain, probably with a chain device, seems a shame not to use the mounts.
Some colourful bits, possibly red, yellow or maybe gold, depending on what I think looks best.
Some brakes, very useful for preventing accidents.
Some tyres, wouldn't be much fun just rolling round on the rims.
Bars, stem and seatpost, probably a saddle too otherwise it might be painful.
I've got some pedal and grips from Superstar to go on it.

If anyone wants to make any suggestions towards the spec then feel free to.

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    looks nice!

depending on budget i'd go with pro2s on mavic en521 or ex721 and tyre wise some high rollers.

if you want to go with shimano, then a short cage saint rear mech would be a good investment and i would defenintly go with lyriks as they are just a much bettter forks, the domain isn't bad though
  • Biggus86
    Biggus86 Posts: 385
    Keeping an eye on this thread, basicly the same reason why i wanna build up a 456SS.
    GL with the build.
  • Looks nice, shame bout the head badge though *hock--spit*
  • ETreeson
    ETreeson Posts: 88
    I've just bought a 456SS myself and I'm in the process of building it up. It's just about starting to look like a real bike now.

Couple of points, be careful with your tools! The paint chips pretty easily. Also, don't blindly screw the chain guide in. One of the ISCG tabs is almost backing into the frame (if you don't notice this the ISCG screw will dig right in). I'm currently looking to see if I can find a shorter bolt for that particular tab.

I went for the Revelation RLT 150mm forks from Chain Reaction, £325.00 if memory serves.

Have fun!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'll be keeping an eye on this! I have a slightly less hardcore 456 build, 1x9 with pikes, raced it downhill though! Great trail centre/xc/ all round bike! I'm loving the new stickers on those, not too fond of the rose on the head tube though... One thing I will say is heli tape it. The paint is made of cheese. Other than that, enjoy!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    Cheers guys.

Jay, reckon I may well go that way with the wheels now I know I can live with the clickyness, probably go with EX721s, then hopefully I won't spend much time worrying about them being ok and not breaking too much while I'm riding. Considering importing some 2011 u-turn lyriks from the US, works out £410 new inc. VAT and import duty... incidently that's the same as some Domains from CRC.

ETreeson Thanks, I'll make sure I take note of that when it comes to building it

ilovedirt yup the heli tape is waiting to go on, want to keep her looking pretty :lol:
  • ilovedirt
    Angry Bird wrote:
    ilovedirt yup the heli tape is waiting to go on, want to keep her looking pretty :lol:
    Good call, I took mine for an uplift at Moelfre, did some real damage to the paintwork on the frame and forks, oh well, live and learn! The frames are practically disposable at that price anyway, ride it for a couple of years, and when it's shagged, buy a new one!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    Just ordered:

Domains for it, RC u-turn, 115-160mm, £330, quite pleased with the price

Also some Elixir R brakes, 185mm rotors, if I decide I want any bigger I figured I can always get a superstar one and chuck the 185mm on the orange.

FSA The Pig DH headset

Superstar Razor DH stem

Truvativ Husselfelt 700mm bars, not sure if I'll want something wider or not right now, not the biggest or broadest guy out there so figured I may as well give them a go, it's going to take time for me to get the bike how I want it and I'm prepared to go for a little trial and error. Right now I just want it to sort of start taking shape as a bike, then I can see what does or doesn't work.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    WOW! cool colour! Is this a new colour scheme? I have the GITD one and absolutely love it.. best feeling HT i've ever ridden...for hard fast AM and DH riding it is absolutely brilliant!

Someone mentioned the ISCG mount issue... I had the same.. short bolts are hard to come by so just get the grinder or hack saw out and get to work... not sophisticated, but it works...

looking forward to the finished product... it truly is an ace frame... killer value too!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • pmsl@AngryBird Qoute: If in doubt blaime Wiggle !! pmsl is that Speed_King's influence lol lol ;-)
  • angry_bird
    Yes Josh, it is the new colour scheme, they're doing a red one and a green one, when I first saw them on the website I wasn't too sure about it, but their photos don't do it justice, in the flesh it's great.
    Angry Bird wrote:
    If in doubt blaime Wiggle
    is that Speed_King's influence lol lol ;-)

How could it not be :lol:

Anyways, a few parts arrived yesterday, I've finally got round to unpacking them and admiring them. So here's a few pics of them.

6005546785_555d8df027_z.jpg
    6006091448_465e2a9d74.jpg
    6006094428_238de3fdd4_z.jpg

Just about to order some wheels (assuming I can decide what colour hubs I fancy) and a few bits for the drivetrain :D
  • ilovedirt
    Some nice parts there, those bars look a wee bit skinny though! 680mm?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    700mm :wink: Yeah quite narrow really. Choosing bars was a bit of a time consumer to the point that I got the bars more so I could build the bike than ride it if you kind of get me.

Come the end of the month I've a friend who's off to work abroad for a few months and won't be taking his bikes, he's said I can pinch a few parts of his bikes, give them some proper test time and try a few different combos to see if I can find something that works for me.

My issue is that I've had problems in the past when I've ridden bikes with wider bars, I've not got the widest shoulders in the world and find if I go too wide my right shoulder gives me problems. So I picked these bars up for £25 in the meantime so I can see how I go with them.
  • jay12
    i would have chosen like a 740/750mm bar and then cut them down to desired length if needed
  • angry_bird
    jay12 wrote:
    i would have chosen like a 740/750mm bar and then cut them down to desired length if needed

Yeah could have done that but this is me. I don't do things the simple way. I'm special like that :lol:
  • angry_bird
    Ok update time

Cheers for the advice Jay

Saint rear mech ordered.
    Also parted with some money and now waiting for merlin to sort me out with new wheels, Hope pro II + EX729s, I've gone for gold hubs, hopefully when it all comes together the bike should look good.

Just need chainset, cassette, chain, shifter, saddle, seatpost, clamp and tyres. Hopefully have them sorted by end of next week.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Very nice & very similar to mine (U-Turn Domains, DH components, heavy duty)
    You will have an awesome downhill hardtail when it's built up. I do ok in races on mine & it's so much fun to ride.
  • jay12
    ah you won't go wrong with a saint mech!

those wheels will be indestructable :lol:

suggestions:
    chainset: saint or slx
    seatpost:superstar simple
    shifter: slx,xt,saint or xtr
    saddle: anyhting sdg
    tyres: maxxis highrollers
    the rest is up to you really
  • angry_bird
    jay12 wrote:
    ah you won't go wrong with a saint mech!

those wheels will be indestructable :lol:

suggestions:
    chainset: saint or slx
    seatpost:superstar simple
    shifter: slx,xt,saint or xtr
    saddle: anyhting sdg
    tyres: maxxis highrollers
    the rest is up to you really

Yeah thats the plan with the wheels

Thinking of getting an SLX double chainset and dropping the bash and inner ring, actually found an SDG Bel Air in the shed earlier so that can go on, saves a little money :D
  • jay12
    thats a popular choice. remeber to file down the granny tabs!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No need to file down the granny tabs, mine are still there and cause no problems. Would recommend fitting a Renthal chain ring, they work a lot better than a normal chain ring & you won't need any spacers.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Alternatively save a fortune and get another good DH single speed ring that costs half as much and works just as well.

May I suggest an On One single speed ring...!

and if you plan on riding up any hills then think about a 34 or even a 32....

other than that... LUUURRRVVELY!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • angry_bird
    So some bits arrived earlier.

I now have a chain, cassette, some cables.
    Wheels, Pro 2 Evo / EX729
    Saint Rear mech.

Just ordered SLX shifter, SLX double and bash chainset, tempted to just ditch the granny ring and keep the bash guard.

6032865219_2479e767bb_z.jpg

6033426762_ea7a7152dd_z.jpg

6032867809_20ef490c80_z.jpg
    Obviously without the headset in the steerer is sitting loosely in the head tube making the head angle look even more slack than it already is.
  • jay12
    it's looking good. nice wheels
  • ilovedirt
    Sweeeet, nice guitar as well, nice to see someone else who shares my two passions :D
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Keeping my eye on these 456 threads, as thats my next plan :)
  • angry_bird
    ilovedirt Cheers, unfortunately they don't get used as much as they used to be, especially while I'm at uni but they're nice to have when I get home.
    Keeping my eye on these 456 threads, as thats my next plan :)

Yeah there's quite a few of them around at the moment :lol:

So anyway, headset is fitted, picking bike up tomorrow from the LBS, have a CRC package on the way, assuming they haven't messed it up (they seem to be getting better and better at c0ck ups recently) all I need to sort out now is a seat post, some tubes and a chainguide.
  • Hey angry bird whats with the blaime wiggle logo lol ?
  • angry_bird
    Hey angry bird whats with the blaime wiggle logo lol ?

This :lol:
  • blimy angry bird tht is a thread and a half mate lol