TT Training Tips for Beginners

Bobbinogs
Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
Folks,

I was feeling a bit bored today and, having done a load of hills yesterday, thought I would do one of them there 10Mile TTs properly today for the first time. So, having noticed that I hit 162 BPM on a climb yesterday (although I was not red lining, so to speak, but working hard) thought a sustainable zone for HR would be 140-150...and having got about 5M in my legs, stopped, reset everything and then off I went on a nice flatish route with very little wind.

Well, I did a nice there and back loop and kept in zone better than expected (average when checked afterwards was actually 145, with a max of 155) and finished with a just little left in the tank (in fact I turned the HRM off and went on a 20 Mile enjoyable spin). So, my time was xx but I was kind of (somewhat naively perhaps) hoping for something a couple of mins less.

Sooo, I can either improve my performance to what I was expecting/hoping or lower my expectations. I would rather the former.

What I do to improve though?

Redo the TT each week but upping the zone (145-155, 150-160) until I blow up on the ride and then wind the zone back one notch?

Redo the TT each week doing the same zone but just trying to go faster? If so, is it possible to go faster and stay in the same zone?

Train for the TT doing something else? Intervals?

Redo the TT doing exactly the same thing each week and wait for my times to improve?

I am actually hoping to do 50M TT's (as I am more of a weasal) but figure that learning the basics on a shorter route is more convenient because I can fit it in midweek (after work, etc.).

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Personally, I'd forget monitoring HR during a TT, its a futile exercise, and you are much better to rely on (if you don't have a power meter of course) percieved effort.

The best way to improve is to ride more TT's, you'll soon get a handle on what you can, and can't do, intervals are a great way of getting quicker, even just one session of 5's or 10/15/20's will improve your speed.

Aerodynamics are VERY important, finding a good position requires some trial and error, but its well worth putting the time in, watch other TT'ers, compare your position, I have found that conciously "rounding" my shoulders and "hunkering down" helps, also, you'd be suprised at the amount of people who ride "legs out", pull your legs in as much as possible.

Also, don't forget the importance of proper pacing, start out slow, it will feel VERY easy for the first mile or so, but what you lose in the first mile or so, you'll gain in the rest of the race.

50 mile TT's are a very different beast to 10's, and are ridden in quite a different way.
  • Bobbinogs
    Thanks chaps, useful stuff
  • ozzy1000_0
    ozzy1000_0 Posts: 144
    i'm absolutely no expert in this, but my little experience is in line with danowat's bit about heart rate... any theory you might develop about you ability and how its relfected in HR pretty much dissapears out the window in a TT... i've found that on a turbo trainer 3minutes around 85% max is bloody difficult, yet on the road i can average that for an hour or more....?? then when i did my first TT in years the other day i averaged 91% of max for about half an hour for a10TT.....?? and i'm fairly certain my max heart rate isn't underestimated (max=about 201bpm, i'm 34yrs old and this is the highest i've ever seen it, thought i was going to die!)...

so in short, its amazing what you can do to your self when the motivations there :)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    If you want to ride at 30mph, you have to practice riding at 30mph. :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    stevewj wrote:

Theres a few members here that are also members there too.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Pinning a number on your back can make a big difference
  • Bobbinogs
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have a horrible feeling that I am on the top of a rollercoaster staring down...here I go on my next cycling challenge :)
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Bronzie wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Pinning a number on your back can make a big difference

Yes. The single thing you can do to make yourself faster is to ride an organised event.

To me, the HR monitor is useful mainly for - stopping you from going really far into the red zone, and reminding you to work harder if you lose concentration and notice your HR going down. So you've got to go on feel, but a reminder at either end of the scale doesnt hurt. You may also find it helps you to focus and keep the effort up.

Turbo HR & Event HR are not compariable for me either.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I just want to echo the turbo and actual riding HR difference. For the same amount of effort I give on the road, I have a much higher hr on the turbo.
  • Bobbinogs
    Thanks chaps, when I need to call my wife to help me off the bike at the end then I know I have given it my all (I also think some time out from TdF adverts will help my focus :) ).
  • danowat wrote:
    stevewj wrote:

Theres a few members here that are also members there too.

Most of them I'd wager (in some form of disguise perhaps)