Reluctant to go out in the rain.......

bagz3
bagz3 Posts: 253
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Do you guys stay in if its wet outside.......???

What are the main parts of a bike that will rust and is possible to totally dry your bike off to prevent rusting.............

I'm dying to go out at the moment but the weather is preventing me..... :(

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    MTFU

Its only water mate

I spent 3 hours riding Cannock Chase on Sat morning while it p*ssed down

Great fun
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Definitely MTFU!!

Half the fun of biking is the wet and muddyness!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just make sure you wear goggles/glasses nothing worse than an eyeful of mud.
  • bagz3
    bagz3 Posts: 253
    :lol: ok maybe i shoud, but do you dry off as soon as you get home.......
  • I hate going out in the rain. If it starts to rain while I'm out I don't mind, there is just something really miserable about starting off in the rain.

But just get out and ride, don't worry about it too much. I don't know about others but all I do afterwards is clean the drive train - lube it up and leave it.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Some bikes have steel bolts on some components, these may rust. You can often replace them with titanium bolts which won't rust.

If it's really wet get some neoprene overshoes. These keep your feet and ankles dry and stop your shoes saturating with water (mine took two days to dry out once).
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    unixnerd, isn;t neoprene the stuff they make wetsuits out of, which means it's not waterproof?
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Don't mind intermittent rain.

But that constant bloody pissing down stuff or miserable drizzle we seem to get. No thanks.

Yes I should MTFU... but I won't. :oops:
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    unixnerd, isn;t neoprene the stuff they make wetsuits out of, which means it's not waterproof?

It's probably not 100% waterproof but I've used my overshoes in some hideous weather in the winter my shoes stay bone dry. The material is a good insulator (likely why it's used in wet suits) and keeps feet lovely and warm.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    just do it...you get wet for a bit, you get home and you get dry..but you've got a big smile on your face.

my bike gets a quick wash off, a spray off wd40 (if it's lucky)and then it gets chucked in the shed until next time :lol:
  • Anonymous
    unixnerd, ah, I see.
    I use either some goretex walking boots, or some not-at-all-waterproof-but-incredibly-fast-drying running shoes, with sealskinz socks to keep my feet dry.
    Both work a treat.
  • Twisterboy
    Twisterboy Posts: 311
    I'm what you call a fair weather cyclist, don't mind cycling home from say work in the rain, but would hate to cycle in to work in the rain.

David
  • Anonymous
    Recently, I've developed quite a taste for riding in the rain. Even in monsoon conditions. I love the peace and quiet, when all you can hear is your breathing, and the sound of rain on your jacket, and the sloshing of the wheels.
    It's a similar serene feeling to camping in the rain.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812

Wetsuits flush with water from the neck, wrists and ankles... the neoprene itself is waterproof. You can get neoprene drysuits.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Anonymous
    really? I genuinely did not know that :shock:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    really? I genuinely did not know that :shock:
    +1, but now that i think about it ive never felt water inside my wetsuit till ive submerged my neck, so i'd say that's true
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If they weren't waterproof they wouldn't work. they work because they allow a thin layer in which your body warms up. Most wetsuits are steamers in that they let only a very small amount in. If they let any more in the cold water would flush the warm water out as warm water is lighter than cold water. Effectively your wet suite would work like an evaporating refrigerator = not good.
  • Anonymous
    well, you learn something every day! :D
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Get decent wet gear including seal skinz, if you are not willing to go out in the rain you are pretty screwed living in the UK tbh.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    well, you learn something every day! :D

And a quick slash when you get in the water warms you up instantly.

Never borrow someone else's wetsuit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    So if you have neoprene overshoes and your feet get cold do you pi55 in them?
  • I don't mind the wet when it's colder but this humid, muggy warm pish with heavy showers is really offputting to set out in as others have said. If I'm out and warmed up then it rains I don't care(It's the same with going for a run), but usually in summer you end up under prepared and get miserably soaked(my sealskinz were soaked the last time this happpened think water leached down the leggings and into them, but it was torrential), or over prepared then it gets sunny in 20 mins and you have too much on, a ton of weight and clothing filling the backpack and tied everywhere, sweating buckets.
    I can't wait for autumn, hopefully we'll get some stable high pressure and COLD clear blue skies. This summer has been....has it been?!?! :? oh yeah, it was that week at the end of April.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    you should have seen it at afan two weeks ago, it was like a monsoon for 30 minutes, didnt stop us.

Makes picking your line a little bit interesting

once your wet its fine

You'll end up washing your bike anyway so just get out and ride!

make sure you lube your chain though before and after
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    It's still raining in Morzine :(

5 days of riding in the rain is getting a little depressing. I could be doing this in England.... :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    miss notax wrote:
    It's still raining in Morzine :(

5 days of riding in the rain is getting a little depressing. I could be doing this in England.... :wink:

What what!! Don't say this... I get there on Monday... How long are you there for?

I seem to be the other way around than most people so far. I'd rather set off in the rain because I leave prepared for it. If it rains halfway through and I've not got the right kit on I get a bit pished. And I'm more than happy to set off in the rain - I fully expect to see no-one on the trails.
    The only weather that really does my head in is blustery wind.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    We fly back Saturday (so 2 days riding left) :D

We're off in a minute, so making the most of it! Do bring lots of waterproofs though and get used to sliding downhill in lots of mud :x :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    the OP has a Mangina. Fact.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    the OP has a Mangina. Fact.

:lol: that made me chuckle :lol:
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    First time we've been so I'm after any advice I can get to make sure we get a crackin holiday (and tbh I'm fed up of arranging as none of the crew have lifted a sodding finger so far!). Care to share your best trail / pub?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I must admit I'm more tempted to do a "rain check" in the summer when there is a good chance it might be better the next day, than in the winter when you'd miss weeks of training.

Of course the other problem is I set my bike up differently for the summer and winter season, so the risk of crashing in the wet in the summer is probably higher for me with my fast track tyres, unless I can be bothered to refit thew winter/wet tyres.

In terms of gear, Lycra/fast drying base layer and reasonably good waterproof is all you really need. If you get cold, pedal harder. wet hands trousers and feet doesn't really bother me if my core is warm and dry.

The really annoying part is the wear and tear on the bike.