Club Kit......

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
So, I see allot of "noobs" wearing brand spanking new local cycle club racing kit.

I also saw a girl in my local supermarket in full Bristol rowing club racing kit (not the most flattering lycra to be honest!) - never seen here at the club, when I was there, so I can only assume that she is a noob - wearing full racing kit, I don't know of any local rowing racing or events?! So, why wear full racing kit - should be in training kit.

Sometimes, when you have not done any laundry, you have to wear whatever is left - this may be club kit. But that is a rare occurance.

1, What is it with noobs and showing off club kit?

2, Club kit is expensive, should only be used for racing/club events. I was always taught to look after racing kit and only wear it for events.

3, Buy training and rough kit for training or commuting. Thats why training kit is cheap!

4, Wearing local club racing kit is like waving a red rag to a bull for me, I make it a mission to overtake and SCR.

Am I being a bit of a club kit nazi?

**I am not talking about "Team replica" kit....

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    gtvlusso wrote:
    4, Wearing local club racing kit is like waving a red rag to a bull for me, I make it a mission to overtake and SCR.
    So did you scalp the girl in the supermarket? Or were you hampered by a wobbly wheel?

Yes, you're worse than Hitler. :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gtvlusso
    bails87 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So did you scalp the girl in the supermarket? Or were you hampered by a wobbly wheel?

Yes, you're worse than Hitler. :wink:

I lost it on the "self checkouts" - could not find the "banana" icon, had to ask for help.....
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Club kit costs about the same as normal kit.

Also I don't go out every weekend with the club, (actually I skip more than I go to) so the club kit just goes in the pile with the rest if I'm not going to use it at the weekend.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gtvlusso
    Asprilla wrote:
    Club kit costs about the same as normal kit.

Also I don't go out every weekend with the club, (actually I skip more than I go to) so the club kit just goes in the pile with the rest if I'm not going to use it at the weekend.

Interesting - my club kits (various clubs) has cost around 15% more on average.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    I wear my club kit most of the time i'm on a bike (unless im going to richmond park), im a member of a relatively big club so its always nice to spot members and say hello even if you dont know them.

every bike i ride even has a club sticker on it.

however on days when i know im going to be riding slowly due to low HR training or recovery rides i do not wear club kit.

I have 3 club jerseys, only one of them im allowed to race in the others are none official colours (special edition jerseys). So apart from club runs i might as well wear them when riding.

IMO its no different to going down the park for a kick about with your mates and wearing the team you supports football shirt.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I picked up several pairs of "out of date" club shorts a while back (they feature an ex-sponsor) for a lot less than the cost of any alternative. I'm now commuting almost exclusively in these...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Asprilla wrote:
    actually I skip more
    Admitting to skipping - are you outing yourself?

I'm with GTV, wearing club or other team kit for regular use is just silly.

Like the guy I spotted the other day, full HTC columbia team kit, nice Look bike, saddle set 6" too low, just shouted stupid newbie, I prefer to let my speed do the talking, not my kit (just as well given what I wear!).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:
    actually I skip more

It quicker to skip up most hills than ride my bike.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • gtvlusso
    Asprilla wrote:
    actually I skip more

I'm with GTV, wearing club or other team kit for regular use is just silly.

Like the guy I spotted the other day, full HTC columbia team kit, nice Look bike, saddle set 6" too low, just shouted stupid newbie, I prefer to let my speed do the talking, not my kit (just as well given what I wear!).

Simon

I was not really talking about "team replica" kit - that is up to the individual and probably more about colourschemes that fit with the bike or a team that they support - fair enough.

I totally see spasypaddy's point about "same as wearing a football shirt" down the park - I guess it is!

I see allot of people in "BADtri" kit in Bristol - Bristol and District Triathlon club. As triathlon is quite "kit" heavy; I would be saving my racing kit for racing only and wearing any old crap to train or commute in.

My training kit is so ingrained with sweaty smell and oily marks from commuting and training - it does not matter how many times I wash it, the smell and some of the marks stay. I would not want to do this to club kit and have rank kit to wear on a race day - club kit is representing the club and should look it's best. Hence I save my club kit for racing only.

What does it say about the wearer; well we know that they are affiliated to a club of somesort; they may be competitive; they don't have any training kit?

Any thoughts?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I look forward to all the roadies chasing me with pitchforks for wearing a HTC jersey, luckily most of them won't keep up :wink:
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I think you're being a bit of a snob TBH.

if people, noobs or otherwise, want to wear club kit then whats the big deal?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    TGOTB wrote:
    I picked up several pairs of "out of date" club shorts a while back (they feature an ex-sponsor) for a lot less than the cost of any alternative. I'm now commuting almost exclusively in these...

I do the same. They cost half as much as dhb shorts, but the quality's much better.

Also, the vast majority of my riding is done on the commute, so I might as well get as much use out of my club kit as I can - it's there to be worn.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Andrew_J
    Andrew_J Posts: 142
    I Don’t get this .....

Our team Kit whilst not cheap is cheaper than the big brand names anyway (assos, rapha ...)

Local companies have paid to sponsor the club so surly we should be wearing it to promote there business?

Its a smallish club so its probably a good way of recruiting more riders into the club.

Its a good way of spotting riders from the same club when out and about.

Its a pretty cool kit so i like to wear it anyway.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I think the answer is in the thread title - its club kit, not race kit. My club kit is probably my best kit so if I'm going to do a long training ride - with or without the club, I'll probably go for that provided its clean! For racing / time trials, its obviously what I'll wear. For sportives, same again - I'll have usually listed club when I enter and its nice kit. I haven't worn it to commute in (unless I'm racing / training straight after work) but if I wanted to, I would do - I just tend to wear really cheap Aldi / Lidl stuff and baggy shorts for commuting!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Our club kit is Pearl Izumi. The shorts are really comfy and are half the price (CHF 75) of the same shorts in the LBS which are exactly the same except the the LBS shorts have the LBS name on both side panels and our club shorts have the LBS on one side and the local bank on the other.

Also, the price we pay for our club kit subsidises the juiniors who only pay CHF 50 for their shorts (and the same for a top)

So I have 3 pairs of club shorts and wear them as first choice, even over my pair of Assos which I wasn't overly ecstatic with.

I have to say that my club jersey is usually reserved for club rides but the gilet gets used whenever too.
  • cjcp

You on the club run this weekend?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • asprilla
    cjcp wrote:

Are you just trying to get enough people together for our own private BR / KW run?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • gtvlusso

Wow - I assume you mean me. Why is this snobbish?

I was just asking/debating!

Like I said, personally, I keep club kit for racing. Training kit gets wrecked and smelly when commuting and training - my training kits stinks and is marked quite badly, does not matter how many times I wash it, never gets clean.

Then I have niice shiny race kit when I am representing my club on race days (when that occurs!).
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Are you just trying to get enough people together for our own private BR / KW run?

Heh heh. I'm out on the club runs so infrequently, that I thought I'd better try to put faces to names while I can.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • clarkey cat

Yes I probably will. I went out last weekend but the missus was in a bit of a strop with me for heading out as we had people visiting so my conscience got the better of me at Ockham and I turned off and just did a quick hour on my own around Woking as she wanted me home by 11.

I'll sign up as a member this week too.
  • asprilla

Yes I probably will. I went out last weekend but the missus was in a bit of a strop with me for heading out as we had people visiting so my conscience got the better of me at Ockham and I turned off and just did a quick hour on my own around Woking as she wanted me home by 11.

I'll sign up as a member this week too.

You'll be on an orange fratello, right?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • clarkey cat
    You'll be on an orange fratello, right?

You can't miss me.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    TGOTB wrote:

Most of us also wear tops in addition to shorts, but each to their own
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    And there was me on my brand new Look bike, wearing my brand new club kit, just pootling to the LBS so that they could raise my saddle by 6 inches...

Good job my commute is only 3/4 of a mile, I don't want to get laughed at.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Joelsim wrote:
    And there was me on my brand new Look bike, wearing my brand new club kit, just pootling to the LBS so that they could raise my saddle by 6 inches...

Needing an LBS to rise your saddle height would be laughable! :P
  • joelsim
    edited July 2011
    BigMat wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Double post
  • joelsim
    BigMat wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Do you think so? I may even ask them if they can peddle the damn thing for me, especially uphill as that's hard.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I also saw a girl in my local supermarket in full Bristol rowing club racing kit (not the most flattering lycra to be honest!) - never seen here at the club, when I was there, so I can only assume that she is a noob - wearing full racing kit, I don't know of any local rowing racing or events?! So, why wear full racing kit - should be in training kit.

None of the clubs I've rowed for (about seven at last count, including one with nice dark blue lycra) have differentiated between training kit and racing kit. The only thing a couple of them did was have special colours reserved for the top boat, but once you'd earned it you could still train in it whatever boat you were in. Unless it's some Tideway Scrubbers zip-up gimp suit we're taking about what's the problem?
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso wrote:

None of the clubs I've rowed for (about seven at last count, including one with nice dark blue lycra) have differentiated between training kit and racing kit. The only thing a couple of them did was have special colours reserved for the top boat, but once you'd earned it you could still train in it whatever boat you were in. Unless it's some Tideway Scrubbers zip-up gimp suit we're taking about what's the problem?

Personally, I always trained in a black lycra and only used club kit when I was racing. I used to run "learn to row" courses, when we did the kit order it was amazing to see how much the new learners would spend on club kit, yet they would not really be racing for at least 6 months - I think it makes people quite proud to belong to something.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Joelsim wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Do you think so? I may even ask them if they can peddle the damn thing for me, especially uphill as that's hard.
    i needed help dropping my saddle yesterday. Needed to lower it 2cm on my 695 so off to the LBS i went.

in my defence its an ISP and no fucking change am i cutting it