Flechas TdF performance

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
I find it amazing that on stage 14 (Plateau de Beille) Flachas max pulse was only 160 even though it was a very hard stage and he spent a solid 5 mins above his FTP at one point and over 16 at FTP. I wonder if he has a naturally low HR or it is due to years of training?

Comments

• It's probably a little of both. HR and lung capacity can be "trained" to a certain extent. Beyond that, some people simply have a better physiology than others. As I recall, Indurain used to have similar physiologial advantages.

Update: Indurain Wikipedia entry
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've looked at a few of the TP files posted for Flecha and I think it must be that he has a fiarly low max HR. His power numbers are VERY impressive though. He might have an exceptionally large heart and lungs so his heart doesn't need to beat so fast.
    More problems but still living....
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Some great (if rather humbling) data so far:
    http://home.trainingpeaks.com/races/tea ... rance.aspx

His max HR was 178 during the TTT so his low HR on stage 14 is probably a mixture of fatigue and not digging that deep on that stage.

His best 5-min and 20-min power figures (and highest average HR) were unsurprisingly on stage 9 when he was in the break - CP5 493W, CP20 446W, AHR 137, AP 299W, NP 348W for 5:43.

His easiest day so far was stage 7 - AP 172W, NP 241W, TSS 186 for 5:42, AHR 102, CP5 342W, CP20 314W

For reference, his FTP is around 420W according to the TSS figures quoted.