Are foxes on the increase? Do we need a cull?

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    My street has about 5 or so foxes roaming it.

The reason is simple.

We get twice a week bin collections, with no bins, so you chuck your bin bag on the pavement.

What I don't understand however, is that despite the lorry coming around 9 o'clock, some people (many people) insist on leaving their bin bags out the night before, and the foxes then go crazy.

How many of these households have people who don't leave the house before 9 in the morning? I can't imagine many. Rent's not cheap so you got to pay it somehow.

Bizarre.

I blame the newspapers and their stupid anti wheely bin campaigns!

Our bin lorry comes round at a similar time, but the council advice says that bins must be put out no later than 7am, I suppose if the lorry comes round earlier than normal and you haven't put your bags out you'd be annoyed, and stuck with rubbish that could be 4 weeks old beofre it's gone if you have fortnightly collections, so it's easier to put it out the night before. Which is what I do, but we have a wheely bin, so nothing can get into the rubbish.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:
    My street has about 5 or so foxes roaming it.

The reason is simple.

We get twice a week bin collections, with no bins, so you chuck your bin bag on the pavement.

What I don't understand however, is that despite the lorry coming around 9 o'clock, some people (many people) insist on leaving their bin bags out the night before, and the foxes then go crazy.

How many of these households have people who don't leave the house before 9 in the morning? I can't imagine many. Rent's not cheap so you got to pay it somehow.

Bizarre.

Our bin lorry comes round at a similar time, but the council advice says that bins must be put out no later than 7am, I suppose if the lorry comes round earlier than normal and you haven't put your bags out you'd be annoyed, and stuck with rubbish that could be 4 weeks old beofre it's gone if you have fortnightly collections, so it's easier to put it out the night before. Which is what I do, but we have a wheely bin, so nothing can get into the rubbish.

Yeah, but ours are twice a week, and, to be honest , given you have to trample through other people's bin bags that have been torn apart by foxes the night before, it should be pretty obvious to people when they leave that they can take their bin out on their way out to work on either Monday or Thursday (or both!).
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bails87 wrote:

Really? Is that a thing?
  • bails87
    notsoblue wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Really? Is that a thing?

Apologies for linking to the Daily "f*cking" Mail
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... reets.html
    The Daily Mail today launches the Not In My Front Yard campaign, to spearhead the fightback against wheelie bins.
    It comes amid growing fury at the plastic monstrosities blighting our streets and gardens.

All across the country, people find their councils steamrolling through unwanted changes to rubbish collections.
    Now the Mail is calling on town halls to let council tax payers choose between wheelie bins, ordinary dustbins or biodegradeable bags.

Scroll down to print off our coupon and join the campaign
    article-1193780-056236F0000005DC-974_634x393.jpg
    The invaders: A leafy street in a Leeds suburb is typical of the blight imposed on homes throughout the country by burgeoning bins

Opponents of wheelie bins stress they are not opposed to recycling - but say the bins are simply unsuitable for millions of homes.
    article-1193780-05623704000005DC-979_306x217.jpg
    Yet councils are ignoring protests, petitions and marches.
    Four out of five town halls already use the bins for ordinary rubbish but many plan to saddle homeowners with extra bins for recycling.

Dozens more intend to bring in bins for the first time. Behind the bin explosion is the EU's Landfill Tax, which aims to encourage recycling by penalising councils for sending too much rubbish to tips.
    The spread of the wheelie bin has also been helped by concerns over health and safety.
    Town hall chiefs say wheelie bins - lifted automatically on to dustcarts - are less dangerous for refuse collectors and stop rats and foxes getting to food waste.

This has become more important as many councils have controversially cut food waste collections to only one a fortnight.

In Harlow, Essex, the first wheelie bins will be dropped off in September, despite strong local opposition.

Les Coben, head of the Harlow Pensioners Action Association, said: 'The town is simply not built for them - and yet we are all going to get three.

'In a lot of places there are steps up to buildings and it's going to be hard for elderly people to push them. Some of my members are only as tall as the wheelie bins - how are they going to move them when they are full?'

Protest is growing in other areas where the bins are on the way - including Thurrock, the Malvern Hills, Barking and Dagenham and Enfield.
    Politicians and celebrities are joining the fight. Shadow Local Government Minister Bob Neill said: 'Households up and down the country are being hit by the curse of wheelie bins - an obsession of bin bureaucrats.
    'This is all being driven by meddling Labour Ministers who seem intent on dictating how people dispose of their rubbish. This campaign will send Gordon Brown a message that enough is enough.'
    Best-selling author Frederick Forsyth said: 'There is only one solution, to use smaller receptacles, divided into compartments, which must be collected every week.'
    Art historian Sir Roy Strong said: 'Hasn't anybody talked to a designer about these things? They are awful and they're multiplying like rabbits. It is total thoughtlessness.'
    Broadcaster Stefan Buczacki, former presenter of BBC2's Gardener's World, has four wheelie bins in his Warwickshire garden.
    'We have a pretty big garden so we can hide them,' he said. 'But there are other cottages in our village with these things and they are a blot on our countryside.'
    According to the Government's recycling quango Wrap (Waste Resources and Action Programme) 83 per cent of councils use wheeled bins for ordinary rubbish, 37 per cent for recyclables and 74 per cent for garden waste.
    But last week Wrap admitted the bins were not the most efficient way to recycle - and that councils should give homes boxes which can be sorted by the binmen.
    Wrap's recycling expert Philip Ward said: 'If people put all their recyclables in one large bin, everything gets mixed up. It has to be sorted out quite expensively and the quality is not as good. If you sort it out at the kerbside, the quality is much better.'
    The Local Government Association said last night: 'There is no "one size fits all" answer. What works in inner London won't necessarily work in rural Norfolk.
    'Councils know their residents best and will run the type of bin collection that is best for them.'

THE TOWN THAT PROVES THEY'RE A WASTE OF TIME
    Town hall chiefs claim wheelie bins are 'essential' to meet recycling targets.

But the evidence from places where the bins have been kept at bay suggests otherwise.

In the leafy London borough of Richmond upon Thames, there isn't a wheelie bin to be seen. Its 170,000 residents sort out their waste once a week --putting paper into a blue box, cans, bottles and foil into another, and the rest of their rubbish into a black plastic bag on the edge of their property.

Despite the absence of wheelie bins, 42 per cent of household waste is recycled each week - one of the highest rates in London.

And without plastic bins, locals are free to enjoy their front gardens or walk down the pavement without bumping into a bin.

The Lib Dem-run council prides itself on being 'green'. It has installed solar panels on its civic buildings, converted its fleet of vehicles to biodiesel and was the first authority to link the cost of parking permits to each car's carbon-dioxide emissions.

Yes, it is real. :(
    MTB/CX

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,015
    God, why not simply sterlilise the entire country? Then we would be rid of bird poo and everything.

I wish the UK still had bears. Then you lot would really have something to bleet about.

The UK inexplicably still has indiginous felines, canids and ruminants clinging on despite habitat encroachment and fragmentation and an ever increasing population of feckless morons who seem to believe that they alone have the right to inhabit these bald little islands.

So what the hell if wildlife is very very very occasionally infinitecimally inconvenient to one or two of you? Really, are foxes a problem, or are you merely told that they are a problem?

God I hate the British.

Sorry, what was the question again?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    God, why not simply sterlilise the entire country? Then we would be rid of bird poo and everything.

I wish the UK still had bears. Then you lot would really have something to bleet about.

The UK inexplicably still has indiginous felines, canids and ruminants clinging on despite habitat encroachment and fragmentation and an ever increasing population of feckless morons who seem to believe that they alone have the right to inhabit these bald little islands.

So what the hell if wildlife is very very very occasionally infinitecimally inconvenient to one or two of you? Really, are foxes a problem, or are you merely told that they are a problem?

God I hate the British.

If kids were going round tearing up bins and throwing rubbish all over the road, the police would step in.

Why should we treat foxes differently? Don't they know better? Mmm?

( I may be slightly winding you up, but the point sort of remains)
  • bails87

God I hate the British.

If kids were going round tearing up bins and throwing rubbish all over the road, the police would step in.

To be fair, if you were killing and then eating raw birds, hedgehogs and squirrels in other people's back gardens we'd probably call the police, doesn't mean it's wrong for an animal to do it.

Also, the issue is people leaving bin bags out. If you leave food out overnight, animals will try to eat it. Nature is grim, they're trying to survive!
    MTB/CX

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 17,015

God I hate the British.

Shoot vagrants. Poison seaguls. Suffocate hedgehogs. Eradicate badgers. Make cat ownership illegal. That would solve it. Whatever it is.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    bails87 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Really? Is that a thing?

http://istyosty.com/ is your friend :) Theres even a Chrome extension that will redirect all Daily Mail traffic to their proxy rather than DM servers. Its a small way to stop them profiting from trolling.
  • bails87
    notsoblue wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Really? Is that a thing?

http://istyosty.com/ is your friend :) Theres even a Chrome extension that will redirect all Daily Mail traffic to their proxy rather than DM servers. Its a small way to stop them profiting from trolling.

Thanks, I knew about that, but I'm at work* so proxy sites don't work.

*speaking of which......bye!
    MTB/CX

• mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    Culling foxes only tackles the symptom not the problem. Its the humans you want to be culling.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Well, lets face it, the options for culling would be:

1, Poisoning - unfortunately, this will probably take a few domestic pets (cats and dogs) too - so, limited viability

2, Fox Hunting with horses - in Peckham? Are you serious?

3, Firearm - viable, may take a few bankers out too if powerful enough rifles are used. I don't think Foxes are made of concrete and would stop a bullet!

Not sure how you would cull urban foxes. maybe let the city go back to a more natural state where the humans become endangered.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    gtvlusso wrote:
    3, Firearm - viable, may take a few bankers out too if powerful enough rifles are used. I don't think Foxes are made of concrete and would stop a bullet!
    2 vermin with one shot sounds like an efficient method.....actually many 'bullets' are designed to not carry through a body, the anti terrorist departments use them for hostage situations, no gurentee's of course, but pretty effective, also better chance of a clean-ish kill as they do a lot more damage.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    Still, driving aroun urban areas shooting at stuff is probably more of a problem than the foxes :wink:

Traps would be more sensible, if it's a cat or dog, let it go, if it's a fox, D-lock it.
    MTB/CX

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Not sure how you would cull urban foxes. maybe let the city go back to a more natural state where the humans become endangered.

That's exactly why a cull wouldn't work and as others have pointed out, trying to cull foxes is simply treating the symptoms, the cause is human behaviour and wastefulness...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.