Anyone else get soaking this morning?

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    was dry but breezy this morning... forecast for London is rain at 7pm... errr... looking out the window, its bucketing down in the City now.... :(

damn, no rain gear...

Ummmm, you don't sound very optimistic :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Panic over, sun's come out and looks bright out west...time to go home!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    A woman I was talking to on the phone this morning said she was soaking, but I may have dialled a wrong number, I'm not sure !!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Did I read somewhere that you are only likely to get rained on 12 times a year? If so I got soaked today, soaked 8 out of 9 days on LEJOG, soaked on the Dragon Ride, soaked on the Spring Onion. Sure I've been soaked a load more times this year and will get soaked a lot more to come.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Got soaked.... no make that drownded... tonight.... Cricklewood Broadway was renamed Lac du Cricklewood and was a good 6in deep in water and :shock: - yuk. The smell was..... well lets not go there... and i don't want to even think about the light brown bits that were floating on the top...

Had caught up to another hybrid and was chatting, saying, we must have just missed the cloudburst when it started to rain...then we realised we hadn't missed it, we'd just ridden into it..it was sitting still just over the approach to the south side of Staples Corner waiting for us. Then the informal peleton that had formed (there's greater safety in numbers when you can't see where you're going cos its so heavy) swum manfully...(and womanfully) through the veritable flood...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Wet but not soaked. Waterproof jacket was overkill.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    Superbly lucky tonight. Left Southwark just after six in pretty much pitch black, I managaed to pick up a nice little tailwind home and missed all the rain. :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    Got soaked tonight. Still happy to be on the bike.
    A question though. I understand why peds rush about and get more unpredictable in the rain, but why does driving get worse? The drivers aren't going to get any wetter.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Got soaked tonight. Still happy to be on the bike.
    A question though. I understand why peds rush about and get more unpredictable in the rain, but why does driving get worse? The drivers aren't going to get any wetter.
    Speaking as a driver in remission:

Some drivers slowdown excessively, lose visibility (due to heater/demister RTFM fail) and assume that they'll be able to aqua plane despite most cars having ABS these days. The rest get annoyed at these risk averse numpties and compensate by driving as fast as they can despite the conditions. That and generally lower visibility I guess.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Got soaked good and proper while doing a longer loop home (18 miles).

Loved it :D

I went through the "Oh, a little wet", to the "Ahhhhh bugger, proper wet and cold" to the "YYYEEEEEEEHHHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!" stage in about 20 seconds :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    been soaked every day since Thursday.

longest spell of being rained on every day for donkeys years, I don't particularly mind the rain but I'm getting a bit bored of it now.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Kind of got away with it last night. It was a bit windy, at least until I was lucky enough to get overtaken by a mobile wind break who then towed me most of the way home, despite numerous attempts to break away :-)
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I got away with it last night too, just as I turned into my road the first few drops started to appear. It was dry this morning and looks ok for the return journey too.......however, I am going camping this weekend so I am sure the rain gods will seek out their revenge !! :roll:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I overslept (read really really couldn't be arsed) this morning, and on waking; hearing the comment that "heavy thundery showers" will be hitting this afternoon I figured a lie in sounded good to me....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Like a downed rat by the time I got home yesterday evening. The road were very, very slippery....