Interesting start to the holiday....

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Hello from Morzine :D

Well, interesting start to the week.... Got to Morzine about lunch time yesterday, and about 15 minutes into the first ride (on the first day) Notax stacked it badly :(

Spent last night in an ambulace and with the local doctor, and he has bad whiplash and cant ride for two weeks :( Looked into flying back but I think we are going to stay and I'll carry on riding -but not quite as I planned! The last time we were in the Alps Chris broke his thumb on the first day and was flown back to the uk for surgery..... I can't believe it's happened again!

Let's hope the week improves! :?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• woodytitan
    woodytitan Posts: 163
    Best of luck for the rest of your hols!!!! :D
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • miss notax
    Cheers! I think I win the award for most grumpy girlfriend yesterday - once we knew it was nothing broken, let's just say I was NOT amused :evil:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Huge sympathy, I did a similar thing a couple of years ago on a skiing trip, I got to know the village we were in really well!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i really am gutted for you guys, nothing worse than looking forward to something for ages and then have it taken away from you :(

i hope you can try and enjoy the rest of your hols and that notax gets well soon :D
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    can you hook up with other riders?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm sure I've warned you, among other people - the riding in the alps is at a very high level.
    However, it still draws in lots of people who are wholly incapable of riding properly. I just don't see the attraction in going somewhere where you are completely, totally and utterly out of your depth for a week.

Anyway, rant over that's probably not the case anyway.
    Hope he gets better soon.
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    I think more than being beyond most people, the fact that riders are excited because they are on holiday has some kind of factor.... bit like how lots of holiday makers become less safety/security concious in places abroad.

Just my theory.... healing vibes non the less :)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Next time, leave Mr Notax at home. Problem solved.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • miss notax
    Jedi wrote:
    can you hook up with other riders?

We are here with a group of friends so that's fine - I have people to ride with :D

And to answer the 'out of depth' comments, Notax has ridden in the Alps for years and it was an easy trail. Just one of those unfortunate accidents, very unfortunately at the start of the week :(

• miss notax
    I'm sure I've warned you, among other people - the riding in the alps is at a very high level.
    However, it still draws in lots of people who are wholly incapable of riding properly. I just don't see the attraction in going somewhere where you are completely, totally and utterly out of your depth for a week.

And you didn't warn me because I am wholly capable of riding properly, even here. So I don't really appreciate the sarcky comments thanks :D

• Jedi
    miss notax, just make sure you enjoy your riding and tease him (mr notax) with the stories :)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    miss notax wrote:

And you didn't warn me because I am wholly capable of riding properly, even here. So I don't really appreciate the sarcky comments thanks :D

he seems to be full of them at the moment...not sure what's wrong with him :?
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    welshkev wrote:
    he seems to be full of them at the moment...not sure what's wrong with him :?

Maybe got sand in his vagina :lol:
  • notax
    notax Posts: 138
    Thanks for the comments -well, most of them :D

Currently sitting in the chalet in Morzine in my neck brace while Miss Notax is off in her body armour and full face to attack the Alps!

This is my seventh bike holiday in the Alps, and Im gutted to have binned it after only 15 mins :cry: It was a very easy trail with one very large tree root which threw me off course into a tree stump. I went over the bars at high speed and dived about 15 feet horizontally off the side of the trail and over a steep drop landing on my head 10 feet down. Very luckily I landed in a bog with a tree stump to one side an a rock to the other - had I hit one of them I wouldn't be able to write this now...

Neck and back are very sore and supposed to wear the neck brace for 2 weeks :(

Fortunately nothing broken, although the x ray showed my neck is a bit of a mess both from this accident and previous car crashes - including the fact I'd broken a vertebrae in the past without knowing it (in a rally car crash)

This week was supposed to be good fitness training for the Afan Monster next month, I'll still be there - though perhaps not be as fast as id hoped...
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    damn thats harsh, hope you quick dude and are shredding again soon. thank god for soft ground.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Bad luck, that really sucks.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Anonymous
    miss notax wrote:

Wasn't being sarky, sorry, just that it reminded me of something that bugs me, and I got sidetracked.
  • Jedi
    healing vibes notax
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    next time Mr Tax you will know to send the cannarie first...(Mrs notax) :P

Shame butty hope you feel better soon, drink as much tea as humanly possible it will help :p
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Hey look at the upsides, you can drink as much as you like when you go out on a night without facing a hangover to ride with the next day!
  • notax
    Yes, there are some upsides - the key ones being that I didn't break my neck or die, which might sound a bit melodramatic but it was a bloody long way to fall to land on my head! I can't believe I didn't use my hands to break my fall, but I am a bit paranoid about them having had a really nasty crash in 2008 which broke me quite badly (air ambulance job) and included shattered wrist and broken arm, but had I used my arms I think I'd have suffered another break so relieved in hindsight.

I'm normally too busy to post on here but this week I have a little time on my hands so you may hear a bit more from me - not sure that will be an upside for you :D
  • Anonymous
    Must sacrifice neck to save arms! :lol:

That's a pretty hardcore decision, but I suppose if you're going to be indoors by yourself with only your arms for company for a week, then it's probably a good call.
    Many people wouldn't have thought of that till later - good thinking that man :lol:
  • bennett_346
    I missed a day's skiing once a couple of years ago and everyone else headed out, it was painful just knowing everyone was having the fun, especially when it turned out it was the best days skiing they had all week. Not quite the same as 2 weeks off but i can feel your pain.

Incidentally we're headed out to Chatel for two weeks soon, looks like i'll definately be sticking to easier things and certainly keeping my eye on things.
  • notax
    Must sacrifice neck to save arms! :lol:

That's a pretty hardcore decision, but I suppose if you're going to be indoors by yourself with only your arms for company for a week, then it's probably a good call.
    Many people wouldn't have thought of that till later - good thinking that man :lol:

:lol::lol:
  • notax
    I missed a day's skiing once a couple of years ago and everyone else headed out, it was painful just knowing everyone was having the fun, especially when it turned out it was the best days skiing they had all week. Not quite the same as 2 weeks off but i can feel your pain.

Incidentally we're headed out to Chatel for two weeks soon, looks like i'll definitely be sticking to easier things and certainly keeping my eye on things.

Have fun, hope the weather is better for you - really, really wet at the moment. May be worth buying some Swamp Things - Miss Notax is using one of mine today, no doubt she'll post about her experiences later...
  • gb2gw
    gb2gw Posts: 81
    edited July 2011
    Was gutted to hear about your nosedive (head-dive?) Chris :( You poor bugger. Hope you're on the mend soon and don't get too bored pottering round Morzine.

(Hope you manage to have some fun out on the trails too though Sarah, take care if they're wet and slippy - the unrelenting downpours we had in Chatel last year contributed to me coming a cropper more than once!)

Rosie x
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Hope you get sorted soon mate and gutted to hear about your spill. At least all is not lost.

Bright side it could have bee nworse, as you said you're on here able to type and in good spirits (ish) so that's the main thing.

Enjoy your respective past times this week both..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • bennett_346
    Notax wrote:

Incidentally we're headed out to Chatel for two weeks soon, looks like i'll definitely be sticking to easier things and certainly keeping my eye on things.

Have fun, hope the weather is better for you - really, really wet at the moment. May be worth buying some Swamp Things - Miss Notax is using one of mine today, no doubt she'll post about her experiences later...
    Yeah i heard it was wet out there this week, thanks for the advice, i might just buy a pair and sell them come the end of the two weeks.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    That's a bummer dude, I hope you heal quickly. Is anyone shooting video? If they are then you could do the editing and make a sweet movie. Something else to do.
    I might be at Afan Monster too so I may run into you (not literally, that would be mean), it's a good event eh.
    S'il vous plait. Un biere pour monsieur Notax. Merci.
    Many happy trails!
  • notax
    gb2gw wrote:
    Was gutted to hear about your nosedive (head-dive?) Chris :( You poor bugger. Hope you're on the mend soon and don't get too bored pottering
    Rosie x

Thanks Rosie, it makes a big change for me to have nothing to do - and at the moment I'm quite enjoying it 8) Whether I'll feel the same in another week remains to be seen...

See you both at the Monster :D X
This discussion has been closed.