Why IS the welding so crap on Orange Five frames?

2»

Comments

• Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    Hi all, I weld aluminium for a living and the weld in question is a butt weld (no snigering at the back) and is harder to get consistantly neat, but having said that if you use quality materials and prep everything correctly then you should get a neat and strong weld.
    My self i would have contacted Orange to see what they say, it's not as if they are budget frames.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    ftwizard wrote:
    I have a Five, and love it, including the way it looks, and the crap welding, but I was thinking the other day......Do they really think (Orange) the quality of the welding on the swing arm is acceptable, or has it become a bit of a company trademark.
    It really is rubbish and I can't understand why they don't sort it.

This most definitely NOT an Orange Five bashing thread, I just don't understand why it isn't better.

Have you ever tried to butt / fillet weld an intricate shape formed from thin gauge aluminium?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Clank wrote:
    Matt 24k wrote:
    I think there is some confusion between the quality of a weld and the look of a weld.

Nope, not in the slightest. A really neat and tidy weld can be indicative of the bod controlling the torch. If there's a neat weld, it's a sign of care and attention to detail. True the weld might not be perfect, but it stands a bigger chance of being mechanically more sound than a weld that looks like bird poop.

Fr'instance, If the bead wavers all over the place, it's indicative that the deepest part of the weld is not following the interface of the two pieces to be joined. An inconsistent bead could be indicative of inconstant penetration, and therefore inconsistent strength. A poor surface finish can lead to premature corrosion or cracking.

S'all related.

And as Northwind said, you're paying premium cash for a premium product. Look the part, be the part.

It was all going so well until that last sentence (assuming you were still talking about a 5 of course).