Stage 14?

anonymousforobviousreason
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Would like to start a discussion to hear who people think will take the stage tomorrow, and why...any takers? :D

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Frank, cos he's the least good TTer

Strava is not Zen.
  • Outstanding reasoning and as I am a gambling man...that wasn't something I had taken into consideration...but will do now...didn't take too long to get there...one post...excellent calvjones...am in a place where nobody talks TDF so needed someone to check my head....and you just did...check back tomorrow to see how many pints I owe ya :lol:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    The weather for earlier in the week for this stage, was dicey, but looks to be holding up.
    Wind, strong up the derriere means no excuse for not attacking on the "mountain that makes champions."

etape_14.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I say it'll be a turning the screw stage, rather than out and out attacking. We'll see who's form is on the up and who's starting to decline / doesn't have it.

Liquigas and Leopard will make it hard early on
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    calvjones wrote:
    Frank, cos he's the least good TTer

yeah sort of with you there
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Omega will make it hard over the first climb, to try & put Cav in difficulty, the mountain goats will try to grab points over the second climb, then all hell will break loose going up the Latrape, a Schleck double act to try to stuff Evans. We'll find out if Contador is really out of form.
    A Schleck for the win.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    tomorrow is gonna be great. i think we will get some answers to all the burning questions.

Im hoping the fireworks start and we see a proper sufferfest. I doubt we are the only ones who want to know where Berties form is at. Leopard to pour it on early on.

Let the games begin!
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Can Leopard turn it on though?

They did that on stage 12, I'd be surprised if they're still able to dish out that much hurt after cutting themselves up bad previously. I can see it being what they want to do but maybe the powder is a bit spent imo.

Not sure on A Schleck winning, the way he was towards the end of stage 12 puts some question marks on him too. I'm more inclined to back F Schleck to win again.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • Hard to logically argue with that. Why Andy over Frank for the win? Assuming Contador is as out of form as it seems of course, and something tells me he is.

I do hope they do exactly as you describe and test it tomorrow. Of course the chance is there, to my mind and I am talking about recent history of course there seems to be a bit more of an overarching trend to wait until a little later on, everyone playing their cards a little closer to their chest for a little longer than in times long gone by.

I want to see the GC contenders race, and I want to see it tomorrow. The stage is begging for it, it is designed for it...it would be great for them to go into the Alps with the pitch turned up and GC contenders having to really contend for the rest of the race, taking risks...racing to Paris, not waiting until Dutch Mountain and the last TT. Seen it...we all have...

Looking ahead there really could be an absolute classic if they race tomorrow and then Contador rides into form, that scenario would make for sweet viewing and possibly set up some legendary battles on many legendary stages to come.

I do fear that we won't see hell breaking loose...and it should.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Will reserve judgement until after tomo's stage about Contador"s form - Tho i am not convinced abut Andy schlecks form. Some saying Contador's "cooked" if loosing 13 secs to the main guys is bad then it doesnt say much for the rest. Why didnt the schlecks leave it till the last 2.5km ??
  • You are right, there are assumptions being made about the Schlecks whereas there are presumptions made about Contador. You are also right in so much as 13 seconds is the only data that we have. Everything else is subjective, how we perceived them...they looked more comfortable, but again, if they were that comfortable then why only 13 seconds...which suggests that they weren't at all. Come on, put 'em on the table...or have they already?
  • Gazzetta67
    I Can see Contador finding his legs in the Alps and he knows that if he still only 1min30 to the schlecks then it will only take one big attack to get rid of the likes of Evans & Basso and the final TT will give him the confidence knowing that he can pull it back. As Contador said today it's just not up to him to chase every attack that goes.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Omega will make it hard over the first climb

^^^WHS

Tomorrow's intermediate sprint is made for Gilbert - the Portet D'Aspet is steep but pretty short and will suit Pip
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    I Can see Contador finding his legs in the Alps and he knows that if he still only 1min30 to the schlecks then it will only take one big attack to get rid of the likes of Evans & Basso and the final TT will give him the confidence knowing that he can pull it back. As Contador said today it's just not up to him to chase every attack that goes.

+1 everybody assumes contador is doomed at over 1:30 down, IMO he could outride Basso and Evans all day, every day, Schlecks look good with the Tag team tactics, but Andy looked rough after stage 12, and Contador could just as easy sit unill the alps, make one attack, take back 20 seconds, and then mop up with them in the TT. However, would love contador to gain a fair whack of time back in stage 14, just so Schleck (collective) have to work harder, and the race is tight into Grenoble.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Omega will make it hard over the first climb

^^^WHS

Tomorrow's intermediate sprint is made for Gilbert - the Portet D'Aspet is steep but pretty short and will suit Pip

The Aspet is tough enough for Cav to be off the back without any team slamming it. Bits of 14% knocking in there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited July 2011
    I rode this exact route a year or two ago, with the exception of going up the plateau, but I did do the col de Mente before the aspet...

The col de la core is a bitch, and the agnes is pretty even.

The decent of the col de la core should be great TV. Lots of fast sweeping corners.
  • stokepa31
    well if the schlecks are in good shape and alberto is hurting or out of form god help them when he finds his legs.

its just such a shame he is shrouded in controversy as if this was 12 months ago I think a lot of folks would be routing form him to find his legs and put the schlecks to the sword.

I cant find it in me to route for Bertie but have to admit if he doesnt find something the race will be poorer for it in term of spectacle.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • stokepa31
    double click. oops
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

+1 everybody assumes contador is doomed at over 1:30 down, IMO he could outride Basso and Evans all day, every day, Schlecks look good with the Tag team tactics, but Andy looked rough after stage 12, and Contador could just as easy sit unill the alps, make one attack, take back 20 seconds, and then mop up with them in the TT. However, would love contador to gain a fair whack of time back in stage 14, just so Schleck (collective) have to work harder, and the race is tight into Grenoble.

LoL @ tag team tactics :D - Andy schleck gave a cocky interview more or less saying when i will WIN the tour but how ? - well attacking with 2kms to go aint going to gain you mins going into a TT as both the schleks are Shyte @ TT"s
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Not sure on A Schleck winning, the way he was towards the end of stage 12 puts some question marks on him too. I'm more inclined to back F Schleck to win again.

Although he almost collapsed on the line several pundits are stating that it was an attack by Mini Shrek that put the 13 second gap between Shrek, Basso & Cuddles against Bertie. The cameras missed it, but maybe he is in better form than we all think?
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:

Disco...

Whether we want it or not, it logically points to Contador sitting until the Alps and the Schlecks being happy for him to do so tomorrow. I hope I am wrong...
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    Leopard Trek are in a good place to dominate this stage. Andy is still the Contender for the overall win and therefore just has to mark any attack by Contador. Frank can attack and look at putting some time between him and Contador and, given his and his brother's TT inability, needs to put as much time as possible.
    Richie Porte for tomorrow's win.
  • LeicesterLad
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

LoL @ tag team tactics :D - Andy schleck gave a cocky interview more or less saying when i will WIN the tour but how ? - well attacking with 2kms to go aint going to gain you mins going into a TT as both the schleks are Shyte @ TT"s
    I don't like A. Schlecks cocky attitude in interviews, he may have pipped Bertie by 13 seconds, but bertie didn't cross the line having to be held up, and if thats the best he can do against a bloke with a dodgy knee, then good luck with that...Frank deffinately looks the strongest of the 2, but if theres one thing we know about frank, its that a brick wall can TT faster than he can. I must also add im getting sick to F*cking death having to type A. Schleck or F. Schleck, cant one of the turds change their name?
  • Gazzetta67
    It's either going to be Contador or the Shlecks to attack tomo - Evans is a follower and Basso has no speed to attack it's more of a try ride the guy of my wheel attack with him. Will be intersting to see how this guy from Omega Pharma goes too VanHire something ? 8)
  • LeicesterLad
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    It's either going to be Contador or the Shlecks to attack tomo - Evans is a follower and Basso has no speed to attack it's more of a try ride the guy of my wheel attack with him. Will be intersting to see how this guy from Omega Pharma goes too VanHire something ? 8)

Vanendert? He will need Van Hire if he wants a top 10 finish..............................Tumbleweed.
  • Gazzetta67
    Are LeoTURD shrek turning into the new U.S.Postal/Discovery/Rshack the team to hate ? :D
  • LeicesterLad
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Are LeoTURD shrek turning into the new U.S.Postal/Discovery/Rshack the team to hate ? :D

LeoTURD :lol:

I just hope the Schlecks never move to HTC, Omega, Garmin, Astana, Sky, BMC, Europcar, Katusha, Lampre, Liquigas, Movistar, Quickstep, Rabobank, Saxobank, Shack, Vaconsoliel, Any French and Belgian Team, Any other team that ride bikes.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

I don't like A. Schlecks cocky attitude in interviews, he may have pipped Bertie by 13 seconds, but bertie didn't cross the line having to be held up, and if thats the best he can do against a bloke with a dodgy knee, then good luck with that...Frank deffinately looks the strongest of the 2, but if theres one thing we know about frank, its that a brick wall can TT faster than he can. I must also add im getting sick to F*cking death having to type A. Schleck or F. Schleck, cant one of the turds change their name?

Now I know why I came back on Cycling Forums :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:

LeoTURD :lol:

I just hope the Schlecks never move to HTC, Omega, Garmin, Astana, Sky, BMC, Europcar, Katusha, Lampre, Liquigas, Movistar, Quickstep, Rabobank, Saxobank, Shack, Vaconsoliel, Any French and Belgian Team, Any other team that ride bikes.

Next Stop X Factor...they do already look like putrid arrogant adolescents who think that they are the pinnacle of evolution...I am sure that they will do well infront of some equally nauseating panel of f*ckwitts...
  • Gazzetta67
    Just seen the highllights from ITV4 - God Gary Imlach / Boulting & Co are creaming their pants at the thought of Contador getting beat....You would think the Shreckle Brothers were Pantani & Delgdo at this rate !!!