Where's the best 'sporty' town to live in the UK?

13»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's whole of Scotland! I could easily say the lakes, north york moors, peaks, dales etc. It depends how we are looking at this.

Sheffield is base to loads, so if you want it right on your doorstep you have a large choice of facilities. Plus we have this:

http://www.eis-sheffield.co.uk/The_Engl ... Sheffield/

No doubt both Aviemore and Sheff have lots of the right person, but I;d argue the latter is base to way more facilities and sports.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    supersonic wrote:
    That's whole of Scotland...!
    lol, errr no it isn't. Used Aviemore as a base last year and that's a list of the places we visited within easy reach.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • supersonic
    the western isles

Easy reach of Aviemore?! Well again, depends how you define it!
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    damn site easier than using Sheffield as a base :lol:

agreed it does rather depend on how you define it, I'd say within a couple of hours drive.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • supersonic
    Lol. TBH it is what you want from such places and depends on how far you are willing to travel. Scotland certainly has more snow!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aviemore. Everything you need for 4 seasons of outdoor activity.

Sometimes all on the same day.

Thing is, Aviemore's a great location but is it just me or is it a godawful s****hole? Saturday night there was probably the grimmest I've ever seen, all the bad points of an inner city nightlife area without the inner city nightlife.

And they've even torn down Santa Claus Land
    Uncompromising extremist
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    deadkenny wrote:
    J L wrote:
    also Haldon but its a bit shoot TBH
    The polite way of putting it. They've ruined it really, compared to what it was anyway.

Yep its bobbins, the place has so much potential but they seem to have missed the point
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Edinburgh's pretty good. You've got the Pentlands within riding distance of the city centre, Glentress and Innerleithen 40 minutes away, then you've got Kielder, Laggan, Dalbeattie, Newcastleton, Drumlanrig, Mabie, Kirroughtree, Laggan, Comrie etc not much further... Plus basically infinite natural riding. Fort William and Glencoe for the downhillers within 3 hours. North Wales, North Yorkshire and the Lakes all pretty accessible. Plus the north of Scotland stuff which is a mission for anyone further south to get to, is practical for a long weekend. Mmmmmmmm Golspie and Balblair.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    I'e been to Haldon. Nice walk.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    I'e been to Haldon. Nice walk.
    Great place for walkers and families out with kiddy bikes & trikes and those trailer bike things. Even seen them on the "expert" so called red (along with runners) :lol:

It's a lovely safe fun family place where no one can get hurt.

Sadly.
  • Plod
    Plod Posts: 42
    Aviemore provides great variety even if, generally, the hills of the west are more dramatic. As the places are so spaced out in Scotland, I would have thought a road cyclist would quickly run out of routes. Not such a problem for off roaders.

Bristol and Sheffield both offer caving nearby which Aviemore doesn't.

I lived in York and although it is a nice city, it's not as well located as Bristol or Sheff.

Betws-y-Coed is a good shout. I wouldn't mind living there. And I've always had a soft spot for Ingleton and the three peaks area of Yorkshire. Plenty of greasy spoon cafes. The dales have a whole network of bridleways for moutain biking and minnor roads for road cycling. York is two hours from here by car.

There are lots of great places to live and play in this country.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What a strange debate. How do you define whether a 'town' is good for sport?! Most, by definition, are terrible as they're towns and are a bit... urban. surely it's the surounding area that you're looking for?
    Not neccesarily, taking the popular example of Aviemore, f'rinstnace - you can step out of your front door and be greeted by some of the most beautiful, challenging terrain straight away.
    Likewise in Snowdonia, you have little places such as Capel Curig which are little more than a group of houses and shops built to accomodate people who are into the outdoors (not literelly, but may as well be :lol: ).
    Betws y Coed is right in the middle of Gwydyr forest, Llanberis is at the foot of the highest mountains in Wales, Hell, dinorwig is halfway UP one of the highest mountains in Wales. If you lived in dinorwig, and worked in Llanberis, you could have an awesome DH run as your commute, then a cracking rock climb to get home in the evening if you wished :lol: