Where's the best 'sporty' town to live in the UK?

timpop
timpop Posts: 394
edited July 2011 in MTB general
I'm thinking of the full package; good mountain biking, climbing etc. with a lot of people with a common interest in free sports and healthy living. Somewhere that pushes the sport and has a strong community.
I'm from BC, Canada so when thinking internationally I will always think of places like Whistler/Squamish and Chamonix.
Without being biased what do you guys think, where’s the best place in the UK?
Many happy trails!

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sheffield maybe?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rhyl
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Cardiff
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Definitely Sheffield. Sports capital of the UK.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    bettws y coed, north wales :D
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    Bracknell innit
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Guildford
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    cooldad wrote:
    Rhyl

:D:D:D:D:D

For me, Brizzle.. or Bristo' as they pronounce it there
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    One magazine claimed Bristol was the cycling capital, then again thats like Liverpool being the capital of culture not long back :lol:

Cannock, simply by the number of people who ride there !
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    +1 on Cannock for riding, but there is more to sport than riding...

..........................or is there?
  • JonnyN wrote:
    Guildford

:lol:
  • Has to be Aviemore in Scotland. Located right on the edge of the Caingorm mountain range (best scenery in the UK) where numerous outdoor activities take place (mountain biking, Climbing Skiing etc). Fort Bill & Laggan are just down the road and for some reason it seems to have it's own micro climate. Fantastic place to be if you like your outdoor sports.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    ooohhhh probably Cardiff with easy access to the Beacons and mid Wales. The again i'm probably biased!!
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dinorwig Village in North wales seems to exclusively house the kind of people that look like hardcore climbers, who also like doing some triathlons to chill out :lol:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Has to be Aviemore in Scotland.

Best thing I ever did was moving to Aviemore ten years ago. Great mountain and road biking, skiing, hill walking, rock climbing, kayaking, etc. Three bike shops in our small town!

It's not unusual for me to get the shopping in winter by cross country skiing down the main street. Biggest downer for bikers is that in the winter there can be months a time when the trails are covered in several inches of compacted snow and ice. So skiing is a must to keep fit.

There's a fairly recent statue in the village square to mark the fact that the Spey Valley has more olympic athletes per head of population than anywhere else in the UK.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    aberdeen, 1hr drive to the slopes & the big air ramp, skating in the evening afterwards

biking of course...... plenty of forest

plenty of pint lifting and bedroom golf as well, and cant forget the wind up toy times in clubs

there was no real point aspiring to play football there anyway....
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    somewhere like Bideford for surfing, riding (exmoor, dartmoor, quantocks all close), generally being outdoors - no climbing but I dont climb so meh.

Pembrokeshire for similar reasons.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Been told to say Derby, my partner's head of sport there!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Anonymous
    Ryan Jones wrote:
    One magazine claimed Bristol was the cycling capital
    Isn't that because it has the most bike thieves living there?

My answer though is I don't know where's best. If you want a mix of MTB and climbing then perhaps best anywhere there are big hills. Wales or Scotland. If you want facilities as well that you don't have to travel for hours to get to, and some form of civilisation, then have to pick a good big town or city near them. Cardiff is nice. Pleasant city, near to plenty of stuff in South Wales.

Surrey is pretty good compromise for me though. Might think it's flat but Surrey Hills are round the corner which are reasonable size with some of the best MTB in southern England and Swinley as a kind of trail centre nearby plus plenty of other local riding opportunities. Seem to be a lot of like minded people about, even if most of them are weekend warriors.

Near to London but not in London (those bits of Surrey that aren't in London that is ;)), easy access down the motorway to South Wales, Heathrow and Gatwick very close making it easy to get to the Alps and just about anywhere in the world (other airports in the UK offer limited destinations). Loads of facilities (not specifically bike related) and for me plenty of work as a software developer which pays the bills and supplies the bikes.

Not sure about climbing though. Guess you could climb a tower block in London :D
  • Yup, Aviemore. Cracking place.
    Sheffield's good for sport, if you can get round the fact that it's a dump.
  • rural
    rural Posts: 13
    Kendal - Lake District on your doorstep and M6/west coast mainline nearby so good access for work. Nice little market town with its own ski slope http://www.kendalski.co.uk/and climbing wall http://www.kendalwall.co.uk/

Home of http://www.mountainfest.co.uk/index.cfm
  • poppit
    I know its boring and not quite what the OP was asking but the data says that London has the highest percentage of sporty people. Still wouldn't want to live there though.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • pioneer68
    pioneer68 Posts: 56
    Bristols' not bad, with the Chilterns or South Wales a stones throw away, or York, which is a great city, with plenty of places on the doorstep, as well.
    Trek Remedy 9.9 (custom) 2011
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc (custom)
    Trek Stache 8 2013
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    Just moved to Exeter and finding it quite cool, dartmoor and lots of countryside and woods nearby lots of mini DH i keep hearing, Blanford bike park only about 50 miles away.
    Very hilly too so plenty of scope for finding trails and a bike friendly city to boot,
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    poppit wrote:
    I know its boring and not quite what the OP was asking but the data says that London has the highest percentage of sporty people. Still wouldn't want to live there though.

I suspect this is distorted data affected by lots of people saying they run or cycle regularly when in reality they dont do either that often or dont do it as a sport. Or alternatively it is distorted by people who work there but dont live there being asked!

And I dont want to live there either!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • the lakes or wales cant go wrong there.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think the Welsh might be a bit narked about their whole country being called a town.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poppit
    poppit wrote:

I suspect this is distorted data affected by lots of people saying they run or cycle regularly when in reality they dont do either that often or dont do it as a sport. Or alternatively it is distorted by people who work there but dont live there being asked!

And I dont want to live there either!

It's a national survey thats been done for the last 4 years so pretty statistically valid.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    poppit wrote:

Is stabbing now classed as a sport???
    Guinness for strength
  • Anonymous
    edited July 2011
    deadkenny wrote:
    If you want facilities as well that you don't have to travel for hours to get to, and some form of civilisation, then have to pick a good big town or city near them. Cardiff is nice.

Cardiff would be horrible for an outdoorsy nut. Somewhere near Llanberis would be far better, since you really aren't that far from towns and cities, and you're actually smack bang in the middle of the mountains.