Higher cadence causing calf cramp?

Zoomer37
Zoomer37 Posts: 725
Last night went out and made a effort to spin a bit more than I normally do. 15 miles into the ride and trying to up things on the cadence front BOTH calf muscles start giving me sh*t. Not full on cramp, but almost there. Was not pushing the pedals and as I increased things it just got worse n worse. Rather stupidly I cracked on with the ride and this morning my right calf feels like its been kicked by a horse.

Bit puzzled by this as had (I think) enough fluids in me and streched before I got on the bike. Did have a fit for my new frame on the weekend and cleats were put forward a fair bit to how I normally have them, but surely thats not going to over work the calfs that much??

Also its not normal to get it in both calf muscles is it? Hmmmm

I read somewhere this morning that a higher cadence can sometimes cause the muscles in the calfs to cramp as the pedel revolutions are faster it does not give sufficient time for the muscle to relax before each stroke. Any truth in that?

Any advice on how to prevent this happening again would be cool. Last night was rubbish.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Happens to me to, in my right calf.

Just increase your cadence a little more slowly. Worked for me.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I think that ifyou moved your cleats forward you effectively made your leg longer which means to get your foot 'round' each pedal circle your foot will have to move more - and this is done by calf muscles alone. In addition you asked them to do it more quickly than they are used to. Too much too soon too quickly?

If you want to do cadence work - like everything else build it up slowly - both cadence speed and session duration... and of course many will point out that artificially forcing yourself to adopt a given cadence above what is healthy for just you achieves very little. Personally I wouldn't bother - at least until you see how the bike fit has helped/affected things.....
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Salted peanuts will stop any cramps immediately.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    vs wrote:
    Absolute rubbish !! :) How on earth are peanuts going to stop cramp caused by over exertion of muslces during a race or increased effort ?
    I like Rick sometimes get it during a particularly hard race after about 50 miles and so just avoid spinning too much.
    StrangelyI never get it on the track but thats probably due to shorter duration of hard efforts.
  • Zoomer37
    I think that ifyou moved your cleats forward you effectively made your leg longer which means to get your foot 'round' each pedal circle your foot will have to move more - and this is done by calf muscles alone. In addition you asked them to do it more quickly than they are used to. Too much too soon too quickly?

If you want to do cadence work - like everything else build it up slowly - both cadence speed and session duration... and of course many will point out that artificially forcing yourself to adopt a given cadence above what is healthy for just you achieves very little. Personally I wouldn't bother - at least until you see how the bike fit has helped/affected things.....

That makes a lot of sence. Normally I have my cleats more towards the mid of my shoes and it does feel different now. Think you guys are correct with the increasing things slightly rather than doing to much. Think i'd of learnt that by now

Last night - Cadence
    Avg Bike Cadence: 93 rpm
    Max Bike Cadence: 134 rpm
    Ride duration: 01:38:00

Thats a quite a lot higher than the norm for me
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Moving the cleats forward puts a much bigger strain on the calves. Try going upstairs putting just your toes on the edge of each step. I think that's more likely to cause the cramp than the higher cadence.

If I feel cramp coming on it's usually cos I'm pushing too hard, and I pick a lower gear and spin faster to get through it
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Absolute rubbish !! Smile How on earth are peanuts going to stop cramp caused by over exertion of muslces during a race or increased effort ?

You've tried it then.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    vs wrote:
    Absolute rubbish !! Smile How on earth are peanuts going to stop cramp caused by over exertion of muslces during a race or increased effort ?

You've tried it then.
    Maybe not, but then again he doesnt want to die.
    If in a race you can sit back and chew a few peanuts without choking, then I suggest you probably have just been shelled out the back.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    vs wrote:
    Absolute rubbish !! :) How on earth are peanuts going to stop cramp caused by over exertion of muslces during a race or increased effort ?
    I like Rick sometimes get it during a particularly hard race after about 50 miles and so just avoid spinning too much.
    StrangelyI never get it on the track but thats probably due to shorter duration of hard efforts.

Nobody fully understands cramp - its obviously related to muscle fatigue - so it can be too much work or a different type of work for the muscle - but theres also a strong case that salt loss is involved too. So getting salted peanuts in - thats not a bad idea.

(but you may find it easier to add a Nuun tab to your water bottle)
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    JGSI wrote:
    vs wrote:

You've tried it then.
    Maybe not, but then again he doesnt want to die.
    If in a race you can sit back and chew a few peanuts without choking, then I suggest you probably have just been shelled out the back.

SHELLED! I see what you've done there.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Ready salted crisps!
    A mate of mine was prescribed a bag of crisps by a doctor when he started getting cramps, he was told that he didn't have enough salt in his healthy diet.
  • Zoomer37
    F*ck me, throw in some sandwiches and I may as well have a picnic before I go riding :P
  • oldwelshman
    cougie wrote:
    vs wrote:

Nobody fully understands cramp - its obviously related to muscle fatigue - so it can be too much work or a different type of work for the muscle - but theres also a strong case that salt loss is involved too. So getting salted peanuts in - thats not a bad idea.

(but you may find it easier to add a Nuun tab to your water bottle)
    True that causes of cramp are not fully understood and I agree in extreme hot conditions if not hydrated this can cause cramp but for our country, if following a balanced diet there is enough salt for our requirements.

I suppose if riding in a race in dubai or somewhere like that tyhen fair enough but I believe most cases of cramp guys on here get is when they do a ride and perform at a higher intensity than they usually do.
    I never cramp during training, sportives or club rides but occasionaly do in a race if at a higher level and longer than usual, and no amount of salt stopped that. I did try once but it made no difference :D
  • P123Helps
    P123Helps Posts: 13
    I don't know what you drink on a ride but try adding a spoonful of salt to it...I'd also suggest using a little bit of non-added sugar squash (like Ribena) just to mask the taste!
  • oldwelshman
    P123Helps wrote:
    I don't know what you drink on a ride but try adding a spoonful of salt to it...I'd also suggest using a little bit of non-added sugar squash (like Ribena) just to mask the taste!
    I use my protein dirnks and sometimes use a gel, also banana.
    Dont get issues 99% of the time so no need to change.
    Not sure I want to put that much salt in and to be honest that is excessive, too much salt is not good for blood pressure over long period of time.
  • P123Helps
    P123Helps Posts: 13
    A very good point about the salt...although there is a RDA for it, and it is essential to have some during the day. I suppose it depends on what the rest of you diet is like, if you come of a ride and have crisps, slated nuts and chips then maybe it isn't a good idea.

I should have been more specific though...I did mean a teaspoon. Not a ladle full! And add to 1L of water.

I find a banana is excellent for recovery...? What are your thoughts are on this?
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Nuun tablets work for me
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're sweating like a scouser in a job-centre for an hour or more you'll lose quite a lot of salt. I can often see the dried salt stains on kit after a summer ride.

Replacing it makes sense. I routinely use electrolyte tablets in the drink bottles in summer. If I run out of them I use half a teaspoon of salt instead.

Tend to drink a lot less and don't bother with the electrolytes in winter.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    keef66 wrote:
    If you're sweating like a scouser in a job-centre.

Ha ha, actually they're quite chilled out, its like a second home.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.