Vuelta 2011 preview

victorponf
victorponf Posts: 1,187
edited August 2011 in Pro race
I´m gonna write here all the news around Vuelta a Espana 2001

The Stages:

http://www.lavuelta.com/11pr/en/recorrido/vuelta.html
If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com

Comments

• avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    thanks victor. there are a lot of mountain stages, but the site doesn't have the info yet about the climbs. how hard are the 6 summit finishes?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    victorponf wrote:

I think Angel Casero is going to win.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • victorponf
    Sierra Nevada long and no very hard, La Covatilla long and hard, Farrapona lond and hard, Angliru everybody news, Cabarga short but really steep.

Anyway my fauvorite stage is not with final climb (stage 13)

All profiles in (sorry in spanish):

http://plataformarecorridosciclistas.or ... s-puertos/
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • freniq
    freniq Posts: 4
    victorponf wrote:

The Stages:

http://www.lavuelta.com/11pr/en/recorrido/vuelta.html

Any idea when/where I can find specific route details? Hoping to catch the Team TT in Benidorm, but the 'Route' tab on official site is disabled, so can't work out best place to watch
  • victorponf
    Unipublic had said before the end of July
  • avoidingmyphd
    freniq wrote:
    Any idea when/where I can find specific route details? Hoping to catch the Team TT in Benidorm, but the 'Route' tab on official site is disabled, so can't work out best place to watch
    there is already quite a lot of detail under the "route details" tab - more than the route tab will contain when it goes live as it will just be a vague map. (compare the "route" and "time schedule" tabs on the tour de france website and you'll see what I mean). in french/spanish that tab is called map, not route.
    for the TTT, it's here http://www.lavuelta.com/11pr/en/recorri ... x.html?e=1
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The Vuelta seems definitely to have rediscovered Galicia last couple of years
  • victorponf
    Galicia, Leon and Asturias are the equivalent to the Alps or Dolomitas in Spain.

Hope this year just is a warm up in this area, becaouse is full o big climbs
  • victorponf
    Conterders, at the moment

-Wiggins

- Cavendish

- Scarponi

- Nibali

- Purito Rodriguez

- Igor Anton

- Gesink

- Menchov

- Sastre

- Frank Shelck

- Nieve

- Brajkovic

- Sagan

- Bennatti

- Candy Shelck?

-Evans?

-Basso?

- Mosquera?

- other Radiosack?

-Samuel Sanchez?

- Velits?
  • freniq
    freniq Posts: 4
    freniq wrote:
    there is already quite a lot of detail under the "route details" tab - more than the route tab will contain when it goes live as it will just be a vague map. (compare the "route" and "time schedule" tabs on the tour de france website and you'll see what I mean). in french/spanish that tab is called map, not route.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find 'Carril con conos' in Benidorm on Googlemaps before discovering its a 'line of cones' – see the problem?
  • avoidingmyphd
    freniq wrote:
    freniq wrote:

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find 'Carril con conos' in Benidorm on Googlemaps before discovering its a 'line of cones' – see the problem?
    Pessimist. Surely it is referring to a permanent line of cones somewhere in Benidorm. :wink:
  • victorponf
    Anyway, Cavendish and Wiggins prefer spent a few days avoiding lines of cones ( pathetic for a GC :oops: ) that going to the Tour of Britain :lol::lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    victorponf wrote:
    Anyway, Cavendish and Wiggins prefer spent a few days avoiding lines of cones ( pathetic for a GC :oops: ) that going to the Tour of Britain :lol::lol:

We've got plenty of cones in Britain too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • victorponf
    RichN95 wrote:
    victorponf wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • victorponf
    Gesink is no coming. Honestly, I don't understand him, such a bad season for him
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    victorponf wrote:
    Gesink is no coming. Honestly, I don't understand him, such a bad season for him

He was particularly close to his father - they virtually lived out of each others pockets, and he died recently and has been finding it very difficult to deal with.

The guys at Rabo are slowly coming to around to the idea that it's affected his performance.

You hear the interviews he's been giving since the death and it doesn't have the ring of a sportsman who has his head in the right place. Quite negative, etc etc.
  • victorponf
    victorponf wrote:

He was particularly close to his father - they virtually lived out of each others pockets, and he died recently and has been finding it very difficult to deal with.

The guys at Rabo are slowly coming to around to the idea that it's affected his performance.

You hear the interviews he's been giving since the death and it doesn't have the ring of a sportsman who has his head in the right place. Quite negative, etc etc.

What a pity, i didn't know this

Thanks Rick
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Are ITV4 showing it this year?
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • victorponf
  • RichN95 wrote:
    victorponf wrote:

And you're not just referring to the traffic furniture! :lol:

Did somebody already ask where the detailed stage profiles are?
  • victorponf
    The hidden "coloso" de la Vuelta 2011, Sierra Morela - Ancares, the spanish Telegraphe -Galibier

http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/verPuerto.asp?id=297
  • victorponf
    Main Spaniards: Joaquín Rodríguez, Igor Antón, Carlos Sastre, Luis León Sánchez, Mikel Nieve, Rafa Valls, Oscar Freire, José Joaquín Rojas, Haimar Zubeldia, Ezequiel Mosquera (????), Samuel Sánchez (????)

Main International guys: Vincenzo Nibali, Michele Scarponi, Andreas Kloden, Janez Brajkovic, Bradley Wiggins, Peter Velits, Damiano Cunego,Tom Danielson, Denis Menchov, Van Der Broeck, Chavanel, Cavendish, Rogers, Roche, Ivan Basso (?????), Andy (????), Frank (????), Evans (????), Leipheimer (????).
  • victorponf
    Provisional team of Radiogaga

Janez Brajkovic

Andreas Kloden

Haimar Zubeldia

Markel Irizar

Tiago Machado

Sergio Paulinho

Nelson Oliveira
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    any sites taking bets on this yet? can't find any personally.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    Yay, I get to watch stage 5 :) I'll be on holiday in Alcala la Real and the tour is coming right through the town again. Might make an effort to drive to the finish further up the road
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Cavendish confirmed on the radio this morning that he will be riding his 3rd GT of the year.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    pat1cp wrote:
    Cavendish confirmed on the radio this morning that he will be riding his 3rd GT of the year.

Technically he's only ridden 1.5 GT's so far this year... :wink:

I wonder if he'll go the distance this year, last year he did but then said he was too tired by the WC's (though I think that was probably a convenient excuse for getting dropped). I suppose it depends if he ends up in green again, makes it more difficult to quietly abandon...the forum would go wild with Cav hate if he did.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    pat1cp wrote:

I wonder if he'll go the distance this year, last year he did but then said he was too tired by the WC's (though I think that was probably a convenient excuse for getting dropped). I suppose it depends if he ends up in green again, makes it more difficult to quietly abandon...the forum would go wild with Cav hate if he did.
    Nah, the forum will know that Cav, like all the main sprinters of the pro peloton, will ride the Vuelta for one main reason: Copenhagen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    pat1cp wrote:

I think the travelling for the World's last year on top of a 3 week GT was more of an issue.
  • victorponf
    Movistar preseletion (12 riders):

Marzio Bruseghin, Imanol Erviti, Chente García Acosta, Beñat Intxausti, Vasil Kiryienka, Ignatas Konovalovas, Pablo Lastras, David López, Ángel Madrazo, Sergio Pardilla, Rubén Plaza y Branislau Samoilau.