Etape 2011 reports please

13»

Comments

• benji90
    benji90 Posts: 114
    What was it like at the finish in St Flour? Was it one of those maddening situations where the rain & wind cleared and it was a nice afternoon?

Glad all you guys finished and are (now, anyways) safe and sound.

Musto_Skiff, I'm with you that the Etape can be a real tick-box event for a bunch of friends who've never pedalled a bike before to goad each other into doing. I've done 8 and I've passed 1000s of these guys. Given what I've read here but also what 3 buddies told me of the day (1 was an ex-Rapha rider), this year is the year to put that reason for non-finishing aside.

St Flour was, well it wasnt glorious, but it was certainly hot when the sun came out. Like I said before the worst of the weather, according to the Mondovelo guys I spoke to, was in the first 60k and the worst of that was in the first 2 hours of the race so yes it was very frustrating to see things brighten up significantly later in the day.
  • malcolmfrost
    malcolmfrost Posts: 211
    edited July 2011
    [/quote]Do you mean "cheering Mike up the hill?"

Are you the triathalete that also stopped at the first feed?

That'll be me,(and my wife) :D
  • ridin8ude
    ridin8ude Posts: 88
    @Benji - that's a crazy scary story! I'm 6'1 and weigh 85kgs which isnt ideal for climbing but was maybe what kept me warm enough on the ride.

Glad you're ok and have a great story to tell the grandkids someday ;)
  • gez747
    gez747 Posts: 23
    Firstly....congrats to anyone for finishing Actie 2. I managed to finish in 10hrs, but have never come so close to quitting ever. The first feed stop at 65km looked like an emergency situation rather than a feed stop. I ended up hugging the bonnet of the ambulance as the engine was running. I rode in a rain jacket and sleeves and was frozen on the descent. People were in a bad way. I knew there was a climb soon so was hoping to warm up.
    The ride was a real challenge, hence 1982 finishers....if it was easy.....everyone wouLd do it.
    I admire people for saying they have had enough....it was the sensible decision.
    My rear derralieur broke with 1pm to go....so brasses off is an understatement!!! Just to finish was a great feeling. I agree with some posts though that there should be some sort of prerequisite as it is a tough and serious event.

Praying for sun for next year already.

Gez.
  • airg
    airg Posts: 4
    evening all, slightly off topic, but a similar route to the 1st etape, here's my report of the marmotte a couple of weeks ago.
    I thought it was tough, but having read about the 2nd etape, my day out actually sounds like a walk in the park! http://marmotte11.blogspot.com/
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    airg wrote:
    evening all, slightly off topic, but a similar route to the 1st etape, here's my report of the marmotte a couple of weeks ago.
    I thought it was tough, but having read about the 2nd etape, my day out actually sounds like a walk in the park! http://marmotte11.blogspot.com/

Very funny report. Well done.
  • philippec
    philippec Posts: 2
    benji90 wrote:
    I think on the day the only thing I would have done differently would be to have litterally stopped and waited for a bigger group to come up and hide in, but at the end of the day I was aiming for a silver standard time and so didnt want to stop.

This is exactly what you should have done. In the end you would have been faster (even with the wait), you would have preserved some of your energy and would have been sheltered. Some cyclosportives are "won" by waiting for help rather than tilting at windmills ahead ;-)

All in all for me it was a long day in the saddle and I was pleased to finish my 12th Etape despite my broken (but healing!) collarbone!
  • pat_h
    pat_h Posts: 34
    So, I did the Étape Acte 1, stayed in a lovely (but deserted) ski resort, La Toussuire.
    Training had been a disaster, wrong new bike arriving being part of the problem when I should have been out clocking up the miles, the ring of Kerry being my longest/hardest day out the week before departure, but not enough to prepare for the Alps.
    Start was a wait (in the 5000s) but the downhill a good idea. Telegraph was fine, nice warm up for the day. 1st food stop was good, not too mad. Scenery was great. Galibier was tough but doable. Nice steady pace and enjoy being the plan. Found out I like descending, can't beat the mountain bike stance and just going for it :)

The unfortunate crash holdup put a spanner in the works, suddenly felt the heat, should have ducked for cover then. Once we got moving again things weren't quite as fluid. Got the first 5k on the alpe done ok. Started to feel the heat. Had hoped to be further up before the warmest of the day but it didn't happen. Heard between 38 and 40 degrees was the max so pushing it even by my standards, I'm irish but prefer a warm day to what the poor souls on Étape acte 2 had to put up with.
    I think I got a bit dehydrated and had a "moment" at the 5k water stop.
    Took some time to get my energy back and persisted on, didn't want to be one of those that lost out close to the finish. So, anyway struggled on and finished in a not too respectable time but I'm glad I did it and enjoyed every moment.

Highlights from my day, the Galibier, flying through tunnels at over 40mph, the coldest alpine stream water you can imagine on the alpe where the temp was heading for 40 degrees! Amazing views, great to do it on closed roads. And finishing when 5k from the top I was spent!

Would do a few things differently if I did it again tomorrow but would recommend to all who
    love cycling to do it once in your life at least.
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    Ok, here's my report, first race ever i've dnf'd so I was gutted.

My whole weekend went bad, I took my family to see the start of the route the day before and my car broke down. So that meant an early start the next day and a ride to the start instead of a lift. Not too bad, except it rained and was pitch black. Really, 5:30 and cloud cover meant it was a bit hairy.
    Put my base layer on and took it off, commented to the wife it should clear up later on, it always does :shock:

Anyway, got to the start line, wore a rain coat and stood around, lots of people stayed away. Soon enough we were off, and it wasn't too bad. The rolling start made for no blockages, so made it up the first col easy enough and then the wind and rain kicked in big style. Looked at my garmin and it was flat, but even in a pack we could manage pitiful speeds. Up and over the top and then down to allanche. Here it was carnage, braking into the village I realised I couldn't feel my hands, and I was very very cold. Pulled up for a banana and I just couldn't stop shaking. I realised it was bad when I rang my wife and had a hard time talking, let alone dialling. Rode down to the village and found a coffee shop, ordered 2 coffees and discussed tactics with a nice kiwi guy. Spoke to some sky riders, they said it was 45km to st flour if we cut the corner and abandoned, or 160 if we chose to carry on. Came out of the coffee shop with every intention to abandon, but the tabac opposite sold me a kids t short for 10€, which helped enormously.
    So I carried on and talked to people to cheer myself up, one of the organisers told me I was in position 1400, and I was passing people over the cols, grinding my way up.
    Bad decision on my part, I took carbon wheels, they were crap on the descents and hardly scrubbed off any speed when I braked, so it was a bit hairy. Made it up the big col, but on the descent travelling around 60kph, something hit my back sheen and it jammed, I locked solid, cue the worlds longest skid :shock: , managed to control the backend snaking around and eventually I stopped. I'd lost a spoke, well it was hanging out, but the wheel had buckled, it would rotate 1/4 of a turn and then jam against the brakes again, even releasing the back brake entirely didn't help.
    I flagged down a police bike, he told me it was game over and no wheel support was available !?! Wtf, he also said the bus behind was full, so I had to walk, and off he went. ffs.
    I rang my wife who managed to secure a hire car, walked down to the next village and found a bar, had a couple of beers and felt sorry for myself, and waited.
    The roads remained closed for about 2 hours afterwards, so I had to wait it out in the bar.
    I haven't checked the garmin time yet, but I was annoyed to dnf due to a mechanical issue in those conditions, but fairly happy to survive the emergency stop downhill in wet conditions.
    Well done to all that finished, not an easy day out.
  • Hi all,

Here's my ride report from Etape part 1. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.awesomepower.cc/post/7922877 ... etape-2011
  • I had to register to post this - such was the experience on the Etape Act II

just wanted to say the, 'should have had the kit' comments and 'not prepared for the conditions' extremely unhelpful.

I was in Issoire the month before the Etape and it was hotter than the centre of the sun, equally when leaving the UK a few days before the ride - the forecast ranged from 10 degrees to 17 degrees - from light rain, showers to cloudy sunshine. Not freezing driving rain, turning to sleet in horrendous wind.

In fact arriving in Issoire on the Friday before the ride it was 27 degrees with the forecast for Sunday changing faster than a NOTW hacking story.

I rode out prepped for the forecast - not gale force winds, sleet, and 2 degree temperature. You can only carry so much kit and of course anything can happen on a long ride, including being struck by lightning or a meteor strike - or perhaps a tsunami - all unlikely but statistically likley - and no more unlikely than sleeting rain in France in July.

Not sure at what point I was supposed to pack and prepare for a ride along Dartmoor in Novemember as opposed to France in July. I wish I was one of the many people with camper vans en route to get dry kit from and warm up.

In any case, I was one of the many in Allanche losing the will to live - and the numbers don't add up. Over 6,000 started (not 4,000) and in no way did 2,000 finish the full 210km. I would be amazed if more than 1,000 finished the full 210km - and for those of you on here that did I have the utmost respect as 10 hours in that crap was something I couldn't bring myself to do. Chapeu to you. Happy to do Ironman's - but descending, frozen in horrifc treacherous conditions was not for me. I decided to finish in the bus rather than an ambulance with a broken collarbone and more importantly - potentially broken bike....

It seems the worst of the weather was in those first 70kms, but I don't think it improved a great deal further along the course.

The organisers did a great job, and its a massive event - but I think in future I'll live my TdF dream by going with some mates and hitting the 'big' rides ourselves. There was some extremely sketchy riding going on, made almost suicidal given the conditions. terrible bike handling and no regard for who is next to you seems not to be just limited to us triathletes.
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    [quote="therealconehead1"
    .. the numbers don't add up. Over 6,000 started (not 4,000) and in no way did 2,000 finish the full 210km. I would be amazed if more than 1,000 finished the full 210km - [/quote]

The organiser says 4000 starters and 1982 finishers:
    http://www.letapedutour.com/ET2/fr/20110717-une-journee-dantesque.html
    I saw rider numbers in the 7000s so there were a lot of no-shows; perhaps they knew something we didn't...
  • niedermeyer
    niedermeyer Posts: 1,075
    Watching everybody go across the start in Issoire I'd say 4,000 was nearer the mark than 6,000. I do know the agencies sent back a huge number of entries; Sports Tours had 1200 in last year's etape, but only 500 or so for Acte 1 and around 80 for Acte II (lthough they were helping with Team Sky logistics for Acte II).

Speaking of Team Sky, what's the deal? Is it some kind of virtual club? Half of the riders in Team Sky gear looked like they'd never ridden with more than 3 other people; no idea of how to ride in a bunch. Maybe they should join a real club?
  • Speaking of Team Sky, what's the deal? Is it some kind of virtual club? Half of the riders in Team Sky gear looked like they'd never ridden with more than 3 other people; no idea of how to ride in a bunch. Maybe they should join a real club?

www.skyvelo.co.uk
  • rhe
    rhe Posts: 15
    Just back from the Etape in the Masssif Central, which was a nightmare.....gales and driving rain - I was circa 900th in 9 hours 30 mins which is too long out there.

I feel like I've been in a washing machine on fast spin......uugh.

I can tell you 210K is a long way at any time but that was hell, I lost feeling in my hands after 2 hours, then feet then head....then realised my jacket zip had bust and it was open - and all I could think was - "well if I get to the end I can get in the van" but didn't see anyone for 45 mins at the end after 9 hours. Then someone told me the race had been cancelled but on I went.....meanwhile....my mate was in a butchers shivering so badly having crashed into someone rolling along the ground then thought his wheel was broken but realised it was him shaking the bars, and another went into a Cafe had 3 coffees then the Gendarme wouldn't let him leave, so he stood under the hand dryer until he stopped shaking then finished in 11 hours......epic tales!
  • J4zzDogg
    J4zzDogg Posts: 41
    Think that was possibly the most difficult ride I've ever done. The weather turned an already testing route into a brutal one. I didn't stop at the first feed stop so had no idea that others were in such difficulty.

Initially I was aiming for a fast time but it soon became apparent that just finishing would be achievement enough. After struggling through the middle section of the course and counting down the miles for what seemed like an eternity, I rolled over the line in 9h 04.

I wouldn't necessarily say that I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I did it. :D
  • Sudor
    Sudor Posts: 33
    Hi

I've never regarded the French as understated but I now now different - when I next hear the term "une peu fresh" (repeated in event village weather announcements the day before Acte II) I'll know I'll have to wear every stitch of winter kit I own. :?
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    I see from the Sunday Times that their reporter, a waif of a lass, who took up cycling less than 12 months ago managed to finsh Acte II.............

WTF lads?
  • pohnjiper
    pohnjiper Posts: 1
    I did Acte 2, this was my 3rd Etape & boy was it the hardest. Previous 2 years at Ventoux & Tourmalet in 40c were easy compared to this year!

I dont think anyone was prepared for the weather, not even the top riders as I saw many bikes with numbers in the low hundreds abandoned at the road side.

My riding buddy quit after 50km as he just couldnt stand the cold, wet & winds. To be honest I think he made the right choice as he would have probably ended up with hypothermia.
    At the first food/drink stop at 68.5km I honestjy thought the race had been stopped as there were people everywhere & 3 coaches full of riders. I then realised I could carry on & did so.
    Only 4 people passed me on the descents as many were being ultra cautious & who can blame them! At the bottom of the descent from the Peyrol I was shivering uncontrollably & given the choice of either sitting & waiting for the broom wagon or the warmth generated climbing up Peresourde, the climb was the more attractive.

Hailstones while descending at 40+mph on wet roads also tends to concentrate the mind a little I found out!

Eventually I finished in 10hrs 17mins, which isnt the best time in the world but I finshed & I'm still alive!!
  • philippec
    philippec Posts: 2
    pohnjiper wrote:
    l I was shivering uncontrollably & given the choice of either sitting & waiting for the broom wagon or the warmth generated climbing up Peresourde, the climb was the more attractive

^^^ this was the right choice IMHO ^^^

I believe that many riders (previous posts notwithstanding) were not prepared for the weather conditions which in the Auvergne (and any mid- to high-mountains) can be fickle at best. I saw too many riders with no wet weather kit or minimal rain protection at the start. That would have been fine if we had no climbing but c'mon folks, we may have been heading towards low mountains but they were mountains nonetheless ... and mountain passes at that so winds billowing from one valley to the next were highly likely. In addition, we were warned repeatedly to be prepared for very cold and wet conditions. I started in Issoire with a base layer, jersey, arm warmers, and a windtex-type summer rain jacket. I had rain covers for warmth on my shoes and slathered my legs with embrocation and vaseline for the rain. I also had a pair of light full finger synthetic gloves in my pocket.

Of course I was cold and shivering when we got to Allanches and yes, I had trouble feeling my fingers enough to brake satisfactorily but looking at the profile, I knew that the long exposed false flat we had just climbed was the only one of the day until the final 40 kms. Everything else was either up or down and mostly sheltered in valleys. That meant that I would be able to warm up quite nicely on the many climbs despite having to take them mostly seated b/c of my busted clavicle. So after a quick stop in Allanches to put on my gloves and still shivering, I left the feed zone and up the next climb. The shivering stopped 2 minutes out of Allanches and only returned in the descent off of the Puy Mary. There, same drill -- as soon as I was down, I took something quick to fuel the fire and started climbing right away and the shivering stopped almost immediately. After that it got warmer and it was just a long slog to the finish.

This was a lesson I learned in the 2001(?) Marmotte which threw rain, sleet and snow at us in the climbs of the Croix de Fer and Galibier. When it gets too cold to ride, ride up!

All of that said, this was not a particularly "fun" Etape and I'm looking forward to having a better time next year!!
  • Ian77
    Ian77 Posts: 1
    I was never going to be troubling the leaders in this event, I was aiming to get round whilst the clock was still running, so was chuffed to have done so after 10:40. But there was an element of luck in there and I sympathise with fellow Etapisters who DNF. The weather was warm but wet to start, so overshoes were the order of the day and I plumped for a full sleeve light rain jacket over gilet and arm warmers. I knew it would be a few degrees colder as most of the ride was at 800-1200m (the summit of Snowden is 1120m) but as accurately reported above, the combination of driving rain, hail, high winds and cold temperatures, took everyone by suprise. I also had my emergency shower cap - hot tip from Dave at a Sports Tours training weekend - no weight or packing size but in extreme wet provides a waterproof cover over your helmet. This proved to be a godsend later in the day, and I would recommend everyone stuff one in their saddlebag. I remember whole body uncontrollable shivers at Allanche and was pleased to find a discarded bin bag with ready made holes for head and arms - I think the previous wearer had swapped it for a seat on a coach! So sporting bin bag and shower cap I set off up the next hill.... Gradually the rain eased, unlike the wind which remained for long parts of the ride. I managed to dodge round a police cordon elimination point, being formed at the 130Km mark. Realising I was at the back gave me a kick up the backside and i skipped the next couple of feedstops and a couple of hundred riders!. I can tell you I was very pleased to see the finish line, but it was a bittersweet moment as my mate had had to pack in earlier in the day. Despite everything I found there was a good spirit amongst the riders, everyone giving it their best in a common pursuit. Thanks all who were in the ride, it would have been rubbish on my own! See you next year?
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    philippec wrote:
    I believe that many riders (previous posts notwithstanding) were not prepared for the weather conditions which in the Auvergne (and any mid- to high-mountains) can be fickle at best. I saw too many riders with no wet weather kit or minimal rain protection at the start.
    Hindsight is 20/20 vision.

I too was one of the 'unprepared'. Dressed for a British summer and froze my butt off on the run out to the Puy Mary. Hands and arms were useless so shifting and braking were, shall we say, compromised. Stopped briefly at the first water stop in Dienne to wring out my socks but conditions did improve from there. Sun popped out briefly on the Plomb du Cantal, even unzipped my gillet for the climb.

Yes, I would have had a much more pleasant day with at least a long-sleeve jacket and shoe covers. But what impressed me most were the spectators who stood out for hours in that miserable weather to cheer us on. From the pom-pom girls in Paulhac to the solitary soul out on a wind-swept moor. Merci.
  • malcolmfrost
    malcolmfrost Posts: 211
    Several weeks later and I'm still thinking about it!!
    Shower cap is a top tip, and a bin bag as well!
    I have just realised that I had 2 disposable gloves in my saddle pack which I use for chain problems, they would have at least kept my hands dry.
    Ultimately I think a lot of us (me included) watch the pro's and think that we can wear what they do. The truth is that we are closer to Audax, and don't have team cars and domestiques to carry stuff for us. We try to be too light.
    Next year.........