Etape 2011 reports please

56mph
56mph Posts: 70
I have ridden the last few Etapes but had to sit this one out. So keen to hear how you got on.
The shorter stage means that most finished but did the heat and altitude get to you?
As it wasn't sold out was it less crowded...perhaps next year the organisers won't be so keen to promote two stages and will revert to one to maximise profits?

Comments

• Currently in a queue at LYS

I had a corking day

Only walking I did was due to blown lights in the 750m tunnel leading to total darkness

I will give me blog s final update when I find time once home

All in all my first sportive and it completely didn't disappoint

Cheers
  • merisi
    merisi Posts: 1
    I heard there were a couple of serious crashes at the Etape yesterday. Has anyone heard any more?
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 248
    I heard there were numerous crashes in the tunnels ( some people being helicopeted out). Mainly caused by idiots slowing in the tunnels or getting off and even walking because they were "scared". I'm damned glad I wasn't there entering at racing speed.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    didnt some one go over the wall of the ravine near the lake at the foot of Alp D Huez?
    One of the tunnels had most of its lights not working. Me I just made a noise as I went through so that anyone mad enough to go faster than me would know i was there.
    It was very hot going up Alpe D Huez, what a brutal climb!
    Not impressed with lack of toilet facilities at the start. Impressed with the delayed starts as they worked a treat in staggering riders.
    I am sure there will be two Etapes next year. I think the original number of places was 6000 and then increased to 10000. The fact that there were only 9500 takers wont worry them as the ever growing popularity of cycling will mean that it will sell out.
    Just a thought. 9500 riders average bike cost £2000 ( probably a massive underestimate ) total bike cost in the Etape, £19,000,000!
  • airwise wrote:
    I heard there were numerous crashes in the tunnels ( some people being helicopeted out). Mainly caused by idiots slowing in the tunnels or getting off and even walking because they were "scared". I'm damned glad I wasn't there entering at racing speed.

Not my experience at all

I was there
    Were you?
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I wasn't there but was reading the Etape Website to try to find out how the b/f had done and came across this news

"Due to a serious accident and a race neutralization, some race times were changed.

After a serious race accident, some participants were stopped during the medical service, until 20 minutes.

It is now impossible to know the exact timing for all of them. So, we decided to give a 20 minutes bonus on their real times."

http://www.letapedutour.com/ET1/us/2011 ... anged.html
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Good to hear the start seems to have worked and that there were no holdups on the Telegraphe. I did think there would have been.

As regards crashes? Well if 180 professional riders crash a lot in the first week of Le Tour, of course you are going to have crashes when you let 9,500 amateurs loose on the Alps. Its the same for all the big sportives, always was, always will be.
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 248
    airwise wrote:

Not my experience at all

I was there
    Were you?

No I was in Italy for the Maratona.

My good friend (who has ridden that route countless times) was however and reported the above. Glad you weren't caught up in it.
  • That's really bad if people crashed in the long tunnel with the dodgy lights.

They weren't working 10 days ago for La Marmotte either, but the registration bag had a pair of tiny LEDs in there, and it seemed to me that most riders (me included) had popped the back one on specifically to help in the tunnels.

Did the Etape organisers not do something similar?

Or at least ask for the lights to be mended?
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    well if they are not working for the tour proper then at least the motorbikes and cars can help out the riders with their headlights, rather then crashing in to them again.
    I saw the aftermath of a serious crash in one of the tunnels where someones head had come smashed in to the tunnel wall,
  • Some people are too quick to dismiss as petty the real dangers of these tunnels which have been used in the Marmotte and the Etape this year. Thousands of cyclists are passing from bright sunlight into almost complete darkness at speeds that will vary from walking pace up to 60-70 kmph (that section of the road is a long downhill stretch where stronger rides are hammering it towards the Alpe). Throw into the equation impatient drivers (both directions) and motorbikes out for the weekend blast and you have a high likelihood of serious accidents.
    You cannot underestimate the fear factor of riders entering these tunnels when suddenly you cannot see more than a few feet in front of you, you can't see if there are potholes, broken tarmac or even a kirb or pavement that you might collide with if you stray from the centre. Remember, the vast majority of participants are not highly skilled elite racers, they are amateur riders taking on a big challenge, probably their biggest ride of the year.
    Back in May I did a sportive near Valencia (7 picos) and the organisers solved this problem by putting in temporary generators to run emergency lights - simple and effective, problem solved. With the money that is being generated by these events, safety should not be skimped on.
    I can guarantee if an oncoming car had smashed into a group of riders in the tunnel there would be a quick change in opinions and the miraculous appearance of lights for 2012. Why does it take tragedy before organisers address situations that are blatantly dangerous?
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    Throw into the equation impatient drivers (both directions) and motorbikes out for the weekend blast and you have a high likelihood of serious accidents.

I thought that the Etape had closed roads?
  • usedtobefast
    usedtobefast Posts: 145
    My first etape and had a great time - the hardest thing I've ever done but very rewarding.

Organisation was excellent so much better value than a lot of UK sportives, loved the organisation of the rubbish nets simple but great idea, Dragon Ride organisers take note.

Telegraph was great warm up for the Galibier, that's a toughy with the worst bit easily the last 1km.

Alpe D'huez was pure hell on earth in the 38 deg heat, tried to do it in a oner but had to stop on a couple of hair pins in the shade and try to cool off a bit.

Got caught by the race stop age for the helicopter to land, was chatting to a guy after who went past the accident in the tunnel and the guy involved was not in a great state, unconscious lying in a lot of claret :-(

Good to see they'll be knocking 20mins off my time :-)

Tunnels were fine apart from one where a lot of lights were out at the start and then some more a little further down. Lots of shouting and brake squealing, a bit scary as even a slow speed you couldn't tell if you were about to run into the back of someone. Some had rear lights which helped a lot (including me) but not nearly enough people.

I'm wondering how many people got the wrong medal handed out, Monday evening after getting back to Modane I realised the medal I was given was for Act II this coming Sunday !!
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • BigG67 wrote:
    Throw into the equation impatient drivers (both directions) and motorbikes out for the weekend blast and you have a high likelihood of serious accidents.

Not sure about the Etape, but I did the Marmotte and most of it was on open roads including the Telegraph, the Galibier and Alpe D'Huez.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    If the tunnel lights were as in the Marmotte then I'd agree they weren't ideal - you had to hold your nerve and your line. I can see in these mass participation events you are going to get less experienced riders and I do think perhaps asking them to ride through there in what is effectively a race does merit at least someone standing near the entrance giving a warning to take it sensibly.

A guy in our club who started with the fast boys in the first start said his group were overtaking cars through the tunnels - and he felt compelled to follow because he knew if he lost the group he was with he wasn't going to get back to them - that is not something I'd have fancied.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • 56mph
    BigG67 wrote:

Not sure about the Etape, but I did the Marmotte and most of it was on open roads including the Telegraph, the Galibier and Alpe D'Huez.

Etape is on closed roads...but that doesn't mean there aren't crazy riders, passing motorbikes, ambulances etc etc to watch out for.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    You cannot underestimate the fear factor of riders entering these tunnels when suddenly you cannot see more than a few feet in front of you, you can't see if there are potholes, broken tarmac or even a kirb or pavement that you might collide with if you stray from the centre.

I also did the Marmotte this year and honestly I cannot see what the big problem is with the tunnels. Just dropped my sunnies down my nose and I could see well enough- even large features on the road surface.

As for mass participation events being for less experienced riders. If you are taking part in the Marmotte or Etape and have put in the training miles then by default you will be experienced.
  • I was right behind the first tunnel crash on the Galibier descent - a stretch of lights were out, and the guy directly in front (probably 25 metres away) just slid and fell, I don't think he hit anything as such. Luckily 3 riders to his right stopped immediately, but he was bleeding badly from his crown and was unconscious and prone towards the middle of the road. As I was wearing a yellow wind jacket I ran back and yelled 'A DROIT' to the followers, who were very alert and there was no pile-up. A motorbike arrived probably within 90 seconds and the ambulance shortly after. No idea if he was OK, I've not seen anything on French news sites about it.

The other crash apparently happened when a rider overshot a sharp turn and went into the ravine, and the ride was held up whilst a helicopter with paramedics rescued him/her (again I can't see any further details).

For a later tunnel there were major light outages again which I suspect is why we had to walk in the dark through it.

But they were the bad points, amazing to do the descent in good weather and closed roads, Galibier valley is stunning, the Garmin clocked 100.2 degrees Fahrenheit on Alpe D'Huez and a quick shower in each mini-waterfall saved my life! Coasted in at 7h 42 min, very pleased as only my second ever sportive (the other was Circuit of Kent!). Toys Hill loops obviously paid off...

Incredibly I also saw a blind man, with a 65+ yr pilot, storming up the Telegraphe on a fixie tandem! Put me to shame...
  • usedtobefast
    usedtobefast Posts: 145
    Incredibly I also saw a blind man, with a 65+ yr pilot, storming up the Telegraphe on a fixie tandem! Put me to shame...

Saw these guys as well, didn't realise the guy was blind, but did say cheapeu as I passed and got a merci in return.

I'm sure I passed a guy with one leg on the Alpe and I don't think he had a prosthetic limb, some people are amazing and put most of us to shame. Of course I could have been hallucinating by then. Also saw a guy in GB talent squad outfit after the finish with a prosthetic leg, cheapeu to you sir.

On the drive back to Modane doing the route in reverse, we caught a guy just past Valloire riding back to Modane - repeat after me three times "We're not worthy"
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • Krys
    Krys Posts: 51
    Had a very hot very hard day but am very proud of myself for doing it. I'll blog it soon, but it's going to take a while to write it all done and I'm a bit tired... I was one of only 281 women, and came 121st out of the 188 in my "old lady" class, so I'm happy :)

blog soon: http://www.thecyclingmayor.com/?page_id=2
  • das_meep
    das_meep Posts: 1
    First etape, and absolutely loved it, why can't all roads be closed.
    Tunnels were very ropey, especially the one with the lights out. Was it just me or was it also wet in there?
    I lost alot of time on the descents, simply did not have the confidence, or lack or self-preservation, of some of the other guys. Someone passed me on the outside of a bend within inches of a sheer drop at over 50 mph.
    Actually enjoyed the alpe ascent more than I thought I would, just accepted the pain and ploughed on, there was no way I was stopping or walking. Heat was astonishing though, especially compared with the relatively chilly morning - felt sorry for the people who had set off in tights.
  • Krys
    Blog entry now done - took nearly as long to write it as to do it! *grin*

http://www.thecyclingmayor.com/?p=2033
  • 56mph
    Krys wrote:
    Blog entry now done - took nearly as long to write it as to do it! *grin*

http://www.thecyclingmayor.com/?p=2033

Great report, thanks for posting.
  • Indeed, great blog Krys - cheers!
  • Krys
    Thanks guys :) Wanted to make sure to get it all down so that I don't forget how awesome it was!
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Brilliant event! Loved evey bit of it! Althouh maybe not at the time..

Photos and videos are online, which is quite cool. 52 euros for all photos, email and print seems a little strong. having said that i'll probably still buy them!

Video is quite funny to wtach, never seen how dead I look!
  • JSS
    JSS Posts: 55
    I've just posted my blog on the Acte I etape at sportive.com. Bit long, I know...and I am going to get more photos added and the spacing sorted out.

http://www.sportive.com/tour-de-france- ... eport-2011
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    My Etape report report is now in my blog which can be found at my signature below. I will update with some photos later
  • 56mph
    Anyone do Acte II to St. Flour yesterday? Anyone manage both....?
    I remember the Limoges-St.Flour stage a few years ago which was 240km of mountains and endless grinding hills ...so I certainly wouldn't underestimate the Massif Central against the Alps.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Apparently the weather was terrible for yesterday's Etape.