Ventoux - any tips?

2»

Comments

• Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    lol small world.

It wasn't me in the van :( but if you saw someone being told to calm down by their wife , that could have been me. :lol:

I didn't take the wife up Ventoux :( because strangely for some reason on the way down the car didn't want to go over 60 and i was worried about taking it up that bloody thing . I took her up Alpe D'Huez a few day earlier and she called me bloody mad, I would loved to have seen her reaction to Ventoux :twisted:
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • I’ve wanted to cycle up Mont Ventoux for many years now, but kids, family etc means it has been almost impossible to arrange. However, I have the opportunity to go cycling for a couple of days on the weekend of the 8th and 9th of October, so I have been debating with myself whether it would be doable then.

My idea is to get the Eurostar to Paris or Lille 1st thing on the Friday, then changing to a TGV to Avignon which will get me there at around 3 or 4. I’d then cycle to a hotel near to Mont Ventoux (I’d approximate this to be around 30 miles from Avignon). On Saturday morning, I’d cycle a route which includes an ascent of Ventoux. I'll then return to the hotel on Saturday night and reward myself with some nice food and wine before cycling back to Avignon and the train home on Sunday.

In an ideal world I would spend a few more days making this trip; however, I can’t be away from home for any more than 3 days so that is not an option.

So, my questions are, firstly, would it be enjoyable to make this kind of trip in such a short amount of time, or is it just daft to go all that in way to ride my bike for a few hours? This is kind of what I am thinking deep down. Secondly, is it likely to be OK weather to cycle up Mont Ventoux in early October? Finally, does anyone have any recommendations for cheap hotels near to Mont Ventoux itself?

Thanks in advance
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I’ve wanted to cycle up Mont Ventoux for many years now, but kids, family etc means it has been almost impossible to arrange. However, I have the opportunity to go cycling for a couple of days on the weekend of the 8th and 9th of October, so I have been debating with myself whether it would be doable then.

My idea is to get the Eurostar to Paris or Lille 1st thing on the Friday, then changing to a TGV to Avignon which will get me there at around 3 or 4. I’d then cycle to a hotel near to Mont Ventoux (I’d approximate this to be around 30 miles from Avignon). On Saturday morning, I’d cycle a route which includes an ascent of Ventoux. I'll then return to the hotel on Saturday night and reward myself with some nice food and wine before cycling back to Avignon and the train home on Sunday.

In an ideal world I would spend a few more days making this trip; however, I can’t be away from home for any more than 3 days so that is not an option.

So, my questions are, firstly, would it be enjoyable to make this kind of trip in such a short amount of time, or is it just daft to go all that in way to ride my bike for a few hours? This is kind of what I am thinking deep down. Secondly, is it likely to be OK weather to cycle up Mont Ventoux in early October? Finally, does anyone have any recommendations for cheap hotels near to Mont Ventoux itself?

Thanks in advance

The last time I travelled on that line there were a couple of TGVs a day from Lille to Marseille. The trains were doubledeckers so you can only take a bike in a bag. Avignon TGV is some way out of Avignon itself. It's certainly doable, but it's a fairly expensive dayride.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Its worth it, when you get to TS's monument and the summit, you will know its worth it!

Weather, hmm i dunno, should be ok i would say, but as with a lot of the year, you couldnt guarantee it. I'd say 75/25 in your favour to get to the top.

I don't personally know any cheap hotels, we stayed on a campsite - there are 4 in Bedoin.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Lazarus
    Interestingly I would say the climb itself is not worth it, DW has pointed out the highlights and apart from them it's a pretty boring climb, BUT and it's a big but actually being able to say that you have climbed it is priceless.

So with that in mind Mazan is not far from Ventoux so you could always stay in http://www.chateaudemazan.com/uk/#situation-et-plan-d-acces.php
    Website mentions the TGV , it looked bloody expensive but it's going to be an expensive trip so why not stay in the home of none other than the Marquis de Sade.

I can recommend the Mt Ventoux pizza in the pizzeria in Mazan, Goats cheese yummmmm
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
  • Thanks for the advice all; I am very tempted to do it I have to say! One bonus is that I have built up a large number of Nectar points over time which should cover most of the cost of my Eurostar ticket, and hopefully make it a (relatively) inexpensive trip.

I would use a bike bag on the Eurostar and TGV. Last time I went on Eurostar I used one of the CTC clear bags and that was fine, but next time I think I would invest in a more substantial bag with handles.

Hmm, very tempting indeed...
  • Rail Europe are offering " Up to 75% off on selected TGV routes", I am trying to put some prices for the following Car/Train/Fly to Ride The Ventoux in June, when they are done I'll post here or make a pdf downloadable

Cheers

Russ
  • Lazarus wrote:
    Interestingly I would say the climb itself is not worth it, DW has pointed out the highlights and apart from them it's a pretty boring climb, BUT and it's a big but actually being able to say that you have climbed it is priceless.

So with that in mind Mazan is not far from Ventoux so you could always stay in http://www.chateaudemazan.com/uk/#situation-et-plan-d-acces.php
    Website mentions the TGV , it looked bloody expensive but it's going to be an expensive trip so why not stay in the home of none other than the Marquis de Sade.

I can recommend the Mt Ventoux pizza in the pizzeria in Mazan, Goats cheese yummmmm

I couldn't disagree more. What an awesome climb! The part up to Chalet Reynard is beautiful and once you are above treelike it's unlike any other climb. And the view from the top is just unreal. You can see forever on a clear day and the sense of achievement is tremendous and palpable -- unlike many climbs where there's a sign, but no real view. It's only a boring climb if you don't like climbing.
    pbraun
  • Veloventoux would pick you up from TGV station, stop at there place, ride Ventoux next day, enty might even ride it with you, ride down to Sault have lunch, ride through the gorge de neghs, back to Faucon, job done. Dont mess about riding from Av station to ventoux waste of good riding time
    ding dang do
  • Good shout with Craig at Veloventoux you could do no worse and if he does climb with you mind tell him slow down...... BORING climb well id luve do some good climbs if someome thinks this is boring try giving it bit of a dig / effort if previously mentioned thinks its boring, great area and not just Ventoux most of which had pleasure doing thanks to Craig & Vicky at Veloventoux.... BORING gawd thats made my night .....
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Ventoux is special.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Lazarus
    pbraun wrote:
    It's only a boring climb if you don't like climbing.

Interestingly it would be fair to say I'm one of the clubs Mountain goats, so not liking a good climb is not me :) ( i mean why else would i travel down there ) but i still think it's the actual thought of being on Ventoux that is the exciting part of the climb not the actual climb.

Sorry guys I know it's sacrilege but we all have different views of the world.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
  • Ventoux is special and yes i agree we all have different opinions on matters but you dont need be mountain goat to want climb any good climb im not too bad climber but i climbed it few times now and each time seen people overcome just with getting to top which is all its about no matter how good climber you are, just done Marmotte this year yet seen lots people not exactly mountain goats doing it purely because of what the event is so good on all them, as for Ventoux well i hope be back next year for week good cycling hopefully in the sun in and around the Ventoux...i wonder what side go up then coz that Maulacene side also hard but thats what we all like ..EH ...
  • Lazarus
    Exactly my thoughts , Ventoux is about getting to the top ! The destination is worth all the hard work but i still think the actual journey is boring lol.

That said I will also be back next year simply because if anyone is going down that way then Ventoux is a box that has to be ticked , Maulacene is also probably the way up next year after a friend expressed an interest in trying that way :)

Probably one of the most moving things I have seen on a bike was a mate overcome after getting to the top of Alpe D'Huez, it shows the true depth of feeling after achieving the goal of beating these monsters, so i know where your coming from.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate