Ventoux - any tips?

enzo berzot
enzo berzot Posts: 96
edited September 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,
Off to Bedoin next week to drag my 48 year old ass up Mont Ventoux before I get any older.
I'm looking for your top tips when climbing such a massive hill.
Never attempted anything like this before....!
Enzo

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Go early - quieter, but more importantly cooler. The heat at the bottom can be oppressive. Also, take something for the top and the descent as it will be breezy and possibly chilly for the first part of the descent. Finally, I wouldn't keep any gears in reserve, just get in your lowest one from the first ramps and try and find a rhythm. Enjoy it, it will be fun, sort of :D
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    What gearing do you have at the moment?
    How is your fitness/climbing?
    Did it a few years ago and, admittedly hadn't done a lot of miles, but found bits of it tough on my 39/29. Was wishing for a compact.
    There are bits where it's an average 10% gradient for 9kms!
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Don't take it for granted. Agree with everything APIII says re early, low gear and jacket for the descent.
    I've ridden it 4 times - first time dreadful, felt knackered after about 5km and struggled to the top after toppling off the bike twice :oops: Second and third times felt great and enjoyed every minute of it (and there are plenty of minutes to enjoy!). Fourth time two weeks ago (aged 48 and a week) only made it because I knew I could having done it before, but wanted to get off from about 10km on. Its a beast but there are generally lots of others doing it which spurs you on.

Lowest gear and let your mind know you are going to suffer for 2 hours and more, but the feeling at the top.....

Good luck
  • It's not that bad, just go slower than you think you need to until after the forest. You need the reserves of energy to tackle the last bit after the forest where the gradient is nasty and all the other cyclists are struggling. When you get to the Tom Simpson memorial, kick it down a couple of cogs and hammer it the rest of the way home, overtaking everybody in your path. Don't forget to take a photo at the top.

Enjoy!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Don't underestimate the section from the end of the forest to the summit. If you get the wind in your face on this section it can be brutal, so have a little left in the tank at this point.

Definitely have an extra layer for the descent which can be freezing cold!

Oh, and above all - enjoy! :D
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Interesting posts and while thinking about it today in work, i wondered is Ventoux our version of a marathon ? It seems that it takes a decent amount of fitness and mental strength to conquer the Beast and of course being uphill there is no respite. It is also not a 10minute blast.

I only ask because i shall also be doing it next month for the first time and trying to explain to colleagues the task at hand, when they have no idea how hard cycling can be is a struggle. :)
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    see Peregrinations link below.

Most important, sort out your head. It is as much a psychological conquest as a physical one.

Above all, respect it and enjoy it. It is a truly special ride.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Top tip - take it slowly and enjoy it!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Great stuff folks -
    many thanks for this.
    I am pretty fit and know this as my training times are coming down a bit although it does seem to take longer to get warmed up these days.
    Points taken - pace yourself, particularly on the initial slopes in the forest, get your head around the fact that this will be sore and slow, take a gilet/arm warmers and set off early.
    We are hiring bikes in Bedoin so I'm not too sure about the gearing although I suspect that I'll only need 2 - one for up and one for down!
    I'll post up a brief account of how me and the other 2 desperate-to-cling-to-youth guys get on,
    Enzo
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    We've ridden it twice though never from Bedouin.

The first was 1996 when my wife and I were cycle camping and we rode up light from the east (we were camping in Sault) and I found it fairly easy at a steady pace, though my wife got blown off her bike on the last bend and walked the last bit :). It was on the only wet day of our trip and we appreciated it (only very light intermittent rain to keep us cool). We continued over the top and found a rideable track that led to Bedouin which made for a very pleasant ride for a couple of 56 year olds.

The second time was from the west in 2008 and we both found it a lot harder even with a picnic lunch at the half way stage. Perhaps it was the extra 12 years in our legs :) I have a 44/32/22 chainset and a 13/25 cassette and I'm afraid the granny ring was used quite a bit and even bottom gear occasionally. It really is a relentless climb but it shouldn't be a problem for a young man of 48 :) Just ride at your own speed and you'll make it. Don't forget extra clothing for the descent (arm warmers and gilet, at least) - it can be very cold up there

We now have a motor caravan and so we had to ride to Malaucene from Beaumes de Venise where we were staying. While you're in the area I strongly recommend a ride along the Gorges de la Nesque just to the south. It's very popular with local cyclists and is the route we took back to Sault from Bedouin.
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    I'm going in August can't wait, give us a full report after please.
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Seconder for the Gorges de la Nesque here - beautiful ride. On out last morning we rode from Sault down the gorges to the small village at the end (Monieux?) then rode back up to Sault - not a long ride but absolutely stunning way to end our trip to the area - mind you the next day we rode the Gorge du Verdon which was on another planet as far as views (and difficulty of riding) was concerned. Geoff is absolutely right there is some fantastic riding in this area though the Ventoux just seems to loom large over everything.
    Also enjoy the winesw - some fantastic local brews in Beaumes, Gigondas, Cotes du Ventoux - though maybe take it steady the night before the climb!!
  • Hi Folks,

Where do I begin with this?
    The pointers given on the Forum were a great help, although luckily the weather ended up not playing too big a part in our journey up MV.
    Our arrival (Tuesday 19th) at Bedoin was through rain and into a cool breeze. On speaking to some Americans who had just been at the summit (in 1hr 50!) we were told of really cold conditions at the top and some people, despite having rain jackets and tights, turning back due to the weather. This did not bode well.
    The next day we had a short run around the local countryside then at 4pm drove up MV in our hire car. This was a good idea despite the ever increasing shrieks of amazement at the gradients. When we started out the temperature was 24 degrees at the bottom however by the time we had reached the summit we were standing in a strong wind which dragged the temperature down to 9 degrees, with some riders struggling to re-mount their bikes on the last 2k to the top. Things looked bad and the car was less chirpy on the descent.

Checking the weather and projected temperature we decided it wouldn't be too hot/windy the next day and opted for a 10.30am start. The 30 degree heat we had anticipated didn't materialise and we set off in funerial silence under a mid morning sun with, thankfully, no wind.
    Bearing in mind some of your comments I had decided to do 3 things on this climb – firstly enjoy it. This meant pacing myself, getting into the granny ring pretty early and taking everything in. Secondly count the number of people I overtook (28 as it happened) and lastly to get to the top without putting my feet down. I found the gradient/mileage signs demoralising so opted early on not to look at them but my 2 buddies kept an eye out for them and were working out how long it would be until the next one came along. By far my biggest problem (other than the hideous gradient you initially meet in the forest) was sweat. Next time I'd get the helmet off and put on a bandana as the sweat was blinding me – and boy I sweated out of places I have never sweated before. I tagged along with a couple of old duffers like me and this was a great help, even managing to go down a gear or two every now and then just to keep my spirits up and as the forest thinned out you could feel the temperature going down and this charged me up a little.
    I could have murdered a beer at the Chalet Reynard but opted to keep going and downed my energy drink instead. We had arranged for a swifty at the Chalet on the way back so for now it was onwards and upwards. There were literally hundreds of cyclists on the road and this as much as anything was really uplifting with everything from tandems, bikes with baskets (honest!) and mountain bikes all heading up. My spirits took a hit when 2 wee lads aged around 13 or 14 spun past me, their legs whirling like windmills on EPO but - since I am a father - I naturally took pleasure in grinding them into the dirt and showing them who was boss!!
    The energy saved on the lower slopes was handy here as I felt great and fairly motored up the last 4k. I met Frank at the top and reached the incredibly busy summit in 2hrs 31.
    The best was yet to come as I really enjoy descending at speed and reached the bottom in Bedoin 30 minutes later passing 3 cars on the way down.

The trip was expensive but really fantastic – particularly as the Alpe D'Huez stage of the Tour was on French TV the next day, topping off an unforgettable experience. As I mentioned before I am 48 and only moderately fit. I think I could have made a better time with a bit more effort at the start of the climb but I realised on the way up that we all do this for our own reasons and challenges and my main goal was to enjoy the whole experience not beat the clock.

Lows = being blinded by sweat. Turning the hairpin at Saint Esteve and knowing what was ahead.
    Highs = Seeing so many cyclists on the road. The descent. The fantastic French roads. No wind (thank goodness as this would have been a real killer). Not putting my feet down.
  • durhamwasp
    Great stuff!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Not just Mt Ventoux - but re. big Alpine cols / climbs in general:

I am relatively new to cycling but quite fit. I don't have many hills round here where I live in south-west London, but am capable of riding out to Box Hill, doing several reps up and down the zig-zags and riding back to London at reasonable speed.

On flattish / undulating roads, I can ride at 20mph for an hour.

Am I daft to be going off to tackle these sort of mountains - which I plan to do in September - without getting my climbing legs (and descending skills) here in the Uk properly?
  • Blimey - No!
    It is worth going if only to ride on roads which are actually 'smooth'. Remember them?
    I fully intend going back as our trip was a revelation and I only wish I had gone sooner.
  • MARKF
    MARKF Posts: 29
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for posting Enzo.
    Good to see you enjoyed the experience.Did you hire a bike over there,if so could you give us the details please.
    The reason I'm asking is that I'm going to the alps next year & planning on doing Mt.Ventoux,I'd take my own bike but it wo'nt fit on the back of my motorbike!
    Mark
  • T.C.
    Enzo, what was the Avg speed for 2.5 hours?
  • durhamwasp
    I would guess about 8.5kmph (5.2mph) as the climb is 21km long starting from Bedoin
  • Hi,
    We hired from France Bike Rentals who are based in Bedoin and they were really excellent. The bikes were tight and felt like new. My Trek Alu frame was 95 Euros for 4 days and the carbon frame Scott was 125 Euros for 4 days.
    More here:
    http://www.francebikerentals.com/Home/t ... fault.aspx

As for our stats - average for heading upwards was a miserly 8.5 kph with a max of 21.5kph. Down max speed was 70kph but only due to running out of gears.....(don't ask what the ratio's were - I've no idea)
  • MARKF
    MARKF Posts: 29
    Thanks for the link Enzo.
    8.5 kph? I'm not concerned about my speed,I just want to do it non-stop.
    Mark
  • Not just Mt Ventoux - but re. big Alpine cols / climbs in general:

I am relatively new to cycling but quite fit. I don't have many hills round here where I live in south-west London, but am capable of riding out to Box Hill, doing several reps up and down the zig-zags and riding back to London at reasonable speed.

On flattish / undulating roads, I can ride at 20mph for an hour.

Am I daft to be going off to tackle these sort of mountains - which I plan to do in September - without getting my climbing legs (and descending skills) here in the Uk properly?

No - you'll be fine. The adjusment will be more mental - i.e. getting used to climbing at a slower pace that you can sustain for a long time - much slower than you probably push up Box Hill.
  • durhamwasp
    The pace is slow, but you are cycling Ventoux and you will enjoy every minute of it, the clock won't matter :D
  • Lazarus
    Well done Enzo :)

Would like to add I completed Mont Ventoux last Thursday and it is a beast but well worth it. Though tbh the top was a chaotic circus :roll:

We arrived on a Saturday and we were welcomed with an enormous thunderstorm and lightening hit the pool that was only 100ft from our pitch, so we immediately knew not to take the weather lightly.... Sunday morning I asked the campsite owner when he thought the wind would drop and he checked online and said Thursday would be our best bet. So we took him at his word and waited the week out and sure enough Thursday arrived and it was glorious weather. Yeah you can take a risk but if possible get some local knowledge on the weather and hope for the best.

One word of warning to others on descending, there are hundreds of people climbing and descending and also a multitude of cars trying to get up ! they are quite often over your side of the road trying to get past cyclists who are struggling to get up ! Be careful but of course have fun.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
  • durhamwasp
    After reading all these comments about weather and traffic, i am once again thinking how lucky we were for our Cingles effort last September.

We drove all the way from Durham to Bedoin, and had a window of one day for the attempt, the weather was beautiful all day long and no cold spells or wind. The only other cyclists on the mountain were the Dutch/Belgian Ven2 4Cancer group.

Will always look back on that day with very happy memories.
  • Lazarus
    TBH i think the weather was just perfect for us :)

I was dreading coming out of the trees due to the heat already building up but when we came out into the open the gentlest of cool breezes welcomed us and stayed that way all the way to the top. :D well happy
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
  • thanks for the words of encouragement ...
  • T.C.
    Just back from staying with veloventoux, did the giant last Friday from Bedoin, took approx 2.15, it was chaos at the top, took my time, through the trees my speed was hovering 4.8mph!, i thought i was looking at a 2 hour ride, but the last 5k is very slow, it is a difficult climb, the descent to Malacuene was great even though i was careful.
  • Lazarus
    T.C. please don't tell me you had a welsh cycling jersey on ?

Was in Bedoin last friday and was overjoyed when i saw a dragon cycling top :D
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
  • T.C.
    Yes i was approx 10.00am, someone passed me on the climb in a van and shouted allright bud, i rode from Malacuene, white/red shirt, i was there for a week very hot, on the Sat there was a crowd from Y Wyddgrug staying in veloventoux, small world. went up by car on the tue- so the wife could see the climb.