Advice on pedals please

hammersteve
hammersteve Posts: 29
I have been a keen cyclist for a couple of years. I use pedals with a toe loop/strap (not sure of the technical term!). I am cycling from lands end to John O'Groats next year and obviously need all the physical 'help' i can get. Almost every cyclist i see has clip-ins, however, i have spoken to 2 friends who both feel that they have had knee problems as a result of clip-ins and the lack of movement this allows the foot. Can anyone please advise me?

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Most "clip-in" systems will allow for a degree of movement, say 5 degrees or so of float, if that is your preference. I would suggest gettiing both shoes and pedals at the same time from a LBS so you can get things adjusted properly before you decide to purchase.

There are a few threads along similar lines within the Beginners section, which might help in terms of different brands/ systems etc.

All the best, Ron
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I have been a keen cyclist for a couple of years. I use pedals with a toe loop/strap (not sure of the technical term!). I am cycling from lands end to John O'Groats next year and obviously need all the physical 'help' i can get. Almost every cyclist i see has clip-ins, however, i have spoken to 2 friends who both feel that they have had knee problems as a result of clip-ins and the lack of movement this allows the foot. Can anyone please advise me?

Look Keo allow some rotation of the foot, depending on which colour shoe plates you fit to the bottom of your shoes. Never really used other formats other than SPD's which also allow some rotation and you can generally get shoes which are OK for walking in, which will take an SPD shoe plate..

Are you just using shoes without any cleats with your toe clips and straps (the correct technical term :wink: ) or are you using cleats? Clipless pedals will certainly allow more foot rotation than clips and straps wth cleats.

Personally, if you are happy with the set-up you have, and aren't concerned about pulling your feet out of the pedal climbing or sprinting, be it clipless or otherwise, I would stick with what you have. You aren't going to generate masses more power just by changing your pedals.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    On a long trip like yours when you are presumably carrying all your own gear I would stick with what you have. Cycling shoes (that are not MTB SPD shoes) are hopeless to walk in and I find this a real bind on long multi day rides. My personal choice would be Shimano SPDs on a leisure cycling shoe of any make that feels comfy and does the and I would probably even consider skipping the SPD and just using a walkable cycling shoe....