The WHAT? FOR A BUGGY? IT'S NOT EVEN $%^* CARBON!! thread

124»

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    NGale wrote:
    ...You know I have a deep loathing of men who carry babies around in those sling things, ....

:-) No, no... tell us what you really think!

We had one of these (can't remember which type). Bridged the gap until they could hold up their own heads & use the backpack.
    Handy for taking baby out when walking the dog in the morning... Mum really appreciated the extra sleep! The babies seemed to find it comfortable enough, so pretty practical, especially if your local footpaths don't suit wheels.

Is your loathing reserved for those who are actually using one, or more broadly against anyone who was prepared to? :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    PS Make sure the 'travel system' fits your car(s), otherwise you'll be buying another CAR !

We took both of our cars down to Toys R Us and tried a few out.

You don't need a big people carrier. My wife has had her Yaris from before the kids were born, and it will take a travel system pram and a lightweight one. My car is a large saloon, so that's used for holidays due to the huge boot.

It get's so much easier once the little monsters are too big for a pram. Oh one great buy we got is a buggy board - attached to back of pram for the older one to stand on when they get tired.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Oh and when there is so much kid stuff to get, you'll find you aren't buying so much bike stuff. My two are 10 and 8 now, so bike spend availability is slightly better.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited August 2011
    Went to Mothercare.

Looked at the Silvercross 3D. Hated it.

The shop assistant dismantled it and I said "obviously not with the baby in it". He took one look at me and said "If I had a penny for every time I heard that!"

Anywho, I hated the Silvercross 3D.

So I suggested the Silvercross Surf, which is about £100 more. Obviously I found that out later when Soon to be Mrs DDD told me she didn't like it but will look for one it that price range.

"Doh"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    have a look at the Micralite Toro. Good if you like going off-road.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    At least you have a baby to shop for. The mother in law has got wind of the fact myself and Jake are trying and has already started buying extra baby clothes :shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • DonDaddyD
    edited August 2011
    NGale wrote:
    myself and Jake are having rampant sex of the furious kind :shock: :shock:

Glenn_Quagmire.png

Keep at it, it's never the same after that. It just seems more utilitarian...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    myself and Jake are having sex :shock: :shock:

Glenn_Quagmire.png

You are a sick man :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So I suggested the Silvercross Surf, which is about £100 more. Obviously I found that out later when Soon to be Mrs DDD told me she didn't like it but will look for one it that price range.
    Noob :P Bang goes any bike cash for the next 18 months
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    +1 for Micralite

We bought a Superlite for our 1 year old daughter before we went to the Scilly Isles as something small and light (well, compared to our Quinny Buzz).

Never regretted it. A little of the expensive side for what is essentially a lightweight pushchair, but you can also attach a Maxi Cosi car seat with the right attachments.

Only real criticism is that the sun shade is about as much use as Anne Frank's drumkit.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • clarkey cat
    FJ - they don't publicise it but the carseat attachments will also allow you to fit a Toro carrycot. I phoned them up and asked if it would fit and they said it would so we used the Superlite from birth.

Also, you can get a sunshield that goes over the whole lot. We've loved ours.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    We're expecting our second and are regretting not getting one of those Phil & Teds machines that allow you to push two at once. If you're thinking of having a second at some point it might be worth considering, as I fear we are going to be buying twice....

Yup, wish we'd coughed up the cash in the first place, still it was worth it in the end, just gutted we wasted a £400 on the first one.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Went to Mothercare.

The shop assistant dismantled it and I said "obviously not with the baby in it". He took one look at me and said "If I had a penny for every time I heard that!"

"Doh"

DDD if you're planning more than one, don't cock about just get a phil & teds or something similar, no need to get anything other than the classic. Although I did feel like people with 'Vibes' were looking down their noses at me.

EDIT:
    BOOM http://www.practicalpushchairs.co.uk/pu ... uble.html/
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    Many thanks!
    Food Chain number = 4

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Many thanks!

Once your done with it they go for about 50% of new price on eBay anyway.
    <a>road</a>
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    prawny wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Went to Mothercare.

"Doh"

DDD if you're planning more than one, don't fool about just get a phil & teds or something similar, no need to get anything other than the classic. Although I did feel like people with 'Vibes' were looking down their noses at me.

EDIT:

How much?! I've heard you can get great deals second hand! ;)

Seriously, though, they are a bit fecking huge. My wife has really appreciated the compactness of the Bugaboo Bee, great for manoevering around the shops, doesn't take up that much room in the boot, folds up neatly in a cramped communal hallway, relatively easy to cary up and down stairs on and off the tube - you know, the kind of issues that you will face a lot living in London. I can see the economic benefit of going straight to the Phil & Ted, but there's a lot to be said for keeping it compact as long as possible.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I can't believe this - 6 pages on PRAMS -MTFU guys
  • prawny
    BigMat wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Went to Mothercare.

"Doh"

DDD if you're planning more than one, don't fool about just get a phil & teds or something similar, no need to get anything other than the classic. Although I did feel like people with 'Vibes' were looking down their noses at me.

EDIT:

How much?! I've heard you can get great deals second hand! ;)

Seriously, though, they are a bit fecking huge. My wife has really appreciated the compactness of the Bugaboo Bee, great for manoevering around the shops, doesn't take up that much room in the boot, folds up neatly in a cramped communal hallway, relatively easy to cary up and down stairs on and off the tube - you know, the kind of issues that you will face a lot living in London. I can see the economic benefit of going straight to the Phil & Ted, but there's a lot to be said for keeping it compact as long as possible.

The phil and teds fold up realls small for a double off road doobry (technical term) you can pop the back wheels off and it folds up pretty much flat.

I've put the doubles seat on the front for shipping so it folds up the same size as a single one.

Couriers picking it up tomorrow btw :wink:

PS - Bugaboo Bee = Bugger Boobie in my head.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I can't believe this - 6 pages on PRAMS -MTFU guys

Maybe there are some good biking threads on PramRadar.......
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Many thanks!

Once your done with it they go for about 50% of new price on eBay anyway.

So are you saying he should get one on Ebay then?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • clarkey cat
    DDD - if you live south east then check out the East Dulwich Forum - Family Classifieds section (on the web).

Lots of loaded Yummy Mummy's off-loading mega-prams at cheap prices.
  • DonDaddyD
    We've decided on a PUSHCHAIR!!!!

Maclaren XLR

I don't like it, I wanted this Mamas and Papas: Glide/Sola

It is £200 more expensive than the Maclaren but it looked like a marvel of human engineering. Everything clipped in and the mechanism to dismantle it was designed from the brief "what if a Transformer was a pushchair".

Still Mrs DDD wanted the Maclaren and so she's getting it.

I can understand her (and my) point of view. Baby is due in October, I ain't letting Mrs D out of my sight, she's hardly going to be going around many places in the winter without me driving. By the time she is really ready to go out Feb/March a push chair will be needed. So it makes more sense to get more of a push chair travel system than a pram style travel system, which will likely need to be replaced 3 months in (Feb/March) as literally everyone has said they've replaced theirs.

I still don't like it. But I stopped a guy on the street I saw pushing one (Maclaren) and he seemed to like it.
    Food Chain number = 4

• clarkey cat
    When I was doing absolutely LOADS of research on buggies that was the one I wanted to get - but its quite tall and my missus is really short. Also she wanted a trendier pushcahir. They do a Juicy Couture version if you're that way inclined?

You can get a car seat that clips into the pushchair too - so you dont have to wake baby up when taking him/her out of the car.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Baby is due in October

Which hospital if you don't mind me asking? Might bump into you if miniRJS v2.0 is a bit late.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    :lol::lol::lol:

Did I write October. Due date is November.... lol.

St Helier
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:

Did I write October. Due date is November.... lol.

St Helier

:lol: Just wait till the sleep deprivation kicks in, you'll not know what day it is.

Same here, but looks like we'll miss you by a few weeks. We'll have to do that Cycling Dads coffee morning thing some time. I've just been instructed to look in to child seats for the bike so that I can take our first out of the way.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    In a weird way I'm looking forward to the sleeplessness.

Will have to definitely do a Dad's coffee morning. I don't trust myself with a bike child seat. I always admire parents that do. I'm eyeing up Mrs DDD's baby carrier though, they look cool.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:

2 years later, my work colleagues still make jokes about it... :shock:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    We've decided on a PUSHCHAIR!!!!

Maclaren XLR

I don't like it, I wanted this Mamas and Papas: Glide/Sola

It is £200 more expensive than the Maclaren but it looked like a marvel of human engineering. Everything clipped in and the mechanism to dismantle it was designed from the brief "what if a Transformer was a pushchair".

Still Mrs DDD wanted the Maclaren and so she's getting it.

I can understand her (and my) point of view. Baby is due in October, I ain't letting Mrs D out of my sight, she's hardly going to be going around many places in the winter without me driving. By the time she is really ready to go out Feb/March a push chair will be needed. So it makes more sense to get more of a push chair travel system than a pram style travel system, which will likely need to be replaced 3 months in (Feb/March) as literally everyone has said they've replaced theirs.

I still don't like it. But I stopped a guy on the street I saw pushing one (Maclaren) and he seemed to like it.

I've ogt one of those, perfectly serviceable
    <a>road</a>
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    We've got that one as well. It's not as good in at the CX stuff or for moving a sleeping child into (travel system) as the bugaboo, but at everything else it's vastly superior.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

2 years later, my work colleagues still make jokes about it... :shock:

How many times did you wake up with the word "QWERTY" imprinted on you cheek?