• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I missed the obvious.....

DDD, get one in carbon fibre. Simple!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 2-000.html
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't even argue really, I've quickly adopted that uninterested just get on with it glazed look that sits between defeat and irritation that most Dad's have.

This is the draw back of doing the wedding and baby the 'wrong' way round.

The purpose of planning a wedding is for the man to perfect that look.

Nah I hope for a child that will "run up and down" and generally be active. It's part of the reason I'm getting rid of my X-box

Yeah, jump before you're pushed. Good plan.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I didn't read all of this thread:but.........

we actually went to kiddicare in peterborough to test the lot. They have an entire floor of prams/pushchairs etc everything from a silver cross to a 3way pushchair a la Vicky pollard. They even had that bike/pushchair thing that was mentioned at the start somewhere ( not great - really)

Anyway the upshot of this is that we found out that we didn't want what we thought we wanted (because we were able to thoroughly test everything) after all and came away with an Oyster system. Works fine for us.

Another thing to note is that the puncher fairy targets pushchairs and prams also -something to bear in mind when chosing between pneumatic and solid tyres.
  • will3
    Oh and another thing:buggies with two handles as opposed to one continuous bar are really hard to push one handed.
  • will3
    Oh and another thing:buggies with two handles as opposed to one continuous bar are really hard to push one handed.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    Ebay is your friend, and the NCT Nearly New sales (although the latter is a bit more of a scrum).

Also, if you haven't done so already, sign up to Freecycle and look out for baby-related stuff.

Otherwise, welcome to the world of not having a pot to p1ss in.

:lol:

All that fun taken away in one expensive swoop
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've got one you can have for £50, hardly used. Got a little cot and everything. You'll want a new mattress for the cot thing though, You're supposed to change them for susequent kiddies. Also it's a major PITA to put on the buggy, best for use in the house.
    PM me if you want.
    Edited to add a carp pic
    2_1502267.jpg

Got a more used Phil and Teds too. Everything must go![/img]
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm beginning to feel a little sorry for your (as yet?) unconceived child. Will you be feeding it on leaded water and only letting them watch 3 channels?

Many kids today are too molly coddled, but with things like t'internet, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. I think child seats are a good idea too.

Heck if Jake had his way any child wouldn't be allowed to watch any TV. :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    NGale wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'm beginning to feel a little sorry for your (as yet?) unconceived child. Will you be feeding it on leaded water and only letting them watch 3 channels?

Many kids today are too molly coddled, but with things like t'internet, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. I think child seats are a good idea too.

Mine don't. They don't have time. Videos, when they're ill or v. tired but TV only at other people's houses.
    Homework, activities, books, lego, pets, games, garden, bikes, boats, instruments, friends... There aren't enough hours in the day...
    Cheers,
    W.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    +1 to the Bread Man

My daughter can have a games console when she can buy it herself with money earned outside of the family :P I may be a b'stard given peer pressure, but I tell you what - right now she's practicing her reading with her mother, because she asked to.

She's reading about castles and has just asked me if we can build a trebuchet this weekend. Yes, yes we can said I :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    The only thing I know about buggies is that it seems to give most people the right to think they have more right of way ont he pavement than anyone else in the known universe.

If they were good parents they wouldn't use their child as a battering ram to get people out of there way, but look they have a child they are more important.

Just be considerate when pushing it along and bare in mind everyone has a right to walk along the pavement with their ankles intact.

Rant, end.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    NGale wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Mine don't. They don't have time. Videos, when they're ill or v. tired but TV only at other people's houses.
    Homework, activities, books, lego, pets, games, garden, bikes, boats, instruments, friends... There aren't enough hours in the day...
    Cheers,
    W.
    +1 Buns.
    I like that a lot. I bet your kids are well behaved and all that good stuff too. Using TV as a babysitter isn't my idea of great parenting.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    SimonAH wrote:
    +1 to the Bread Man

My daughter can have a games console when she can buy it herself with money earned outside of the family :P I may be a b'stard given peer pressure, but I tell you what - right now she's practicing her reading with her mother, because she asked to.

She's reading about castles and has just asked me if we can build a trebuchet this weekend. Yes, yes we can said I :D

You're in the right country for castles. Take her to see Caerphilly (if she hasn't already been) and there are loads up the Wye valley - Chepstow and Goodrich are good.

I was a castle geek as a child (and still am to a lesser extent).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • NGale
    SimonAH wrote:
    +1 to the Bread Man

To be honest that's my policy as well, when any child of mine can save up and buy a console for themselves then they can have one, same goes for a mobile phone.

If any child of mine takes after me then they will struggle with maths and I would rather they spent time being better at maths than me (with Jakes help of course, him being a freek of nature when it comes to numbers!) I don't want to see any child, let alone my own, struggle with education in the way I did and as a result I would do anything to ensure that, even paying for their education which should go against my left wing principles, but for me is further from the truth.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Wait to see what Vicky B pushes halfpast seven in and buy one for a bargain off ebay when DDD jr comes along.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wgwarburton
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ... I bet your kids are well behaved ...
    I wish...

Cheers,
    W.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I wish...

Cheers,
    W.

Not knife wielding hoodies then.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • wgwarburton
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I wish...

Cheers,
    W.

Not knife wielding hoodies then.

Well, not yet, anyway.

Cheers,
    W.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    List of child transportation devices we own and usefullness:

icandy apple Jogger (including cot bed + seat, flavour pack, coffee cup holder, umbrella and maxi cosi car seat adaptors) - £700 ish

Very comfy pram with suspension, lots of padding - cot bed pram is essential when they are very little. Our littlest tends to fall asleep very easily in this pram, also has a thermal footpack (great in winter time) to snuggle junior into - very useful bit of kit, even if it is a bit cumbersome. Very adaptable and has been great in winter time for comfort and heat.

Maxi Cosi baby car seat + isofix base (old style) - £180 ish

This is essential - I don't think the hospital will release junior to you unless you have a suitable child seat. Isofix is dependant on the vehicle. Remember to disable airbags if using in the front seat.

Maxi cosi car seat (9kg +) - isofix - £170 ish

When junior gets over 9kg (about 12 months old) the bigger car seat is required - again, this is essential for car travel.

Macpac - great when out walking or shopping - not essential, but great piece of kit. Only useful when junior can sit up with stability.

Mothercare o'baby lightweight pushchair (stays in the car) - not essential, but very useful to have a stroller in the car, gets allot of use.

Smart Trike "moo"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Trike-157 ... 128&sr=8-1

Has been useful, great for shopping or walking with junior. Can be made into a peddle trike - very adaptable, only useful from 12 months on.

Bobike baby seat for my bicycle: mounts on the top tube so junior sits up front. I prefer this to junior being behind me (can talk to junior, junior can see what is goin on, does not get farted on etc etc) - £100 ish

In terms of car:

We changed out our BMW 3 series estate, we have Wilma the hound and found that we simply filled the car very easily. Having a higher car (MPV, 4 x 4) means that you don't have to bend down to strap junior in (saves the old back) and we have a ton of space for stuff - we bought a Mercedes ML - overkill, but it works for us. As we don't use the car very much, we find allot of our friends borrowing it for errands with kids, even though they have their own cars. We tend to tell mates to insure it and replace used fuel.

House:

prep prep and more prep - Mum will be in "nesting" mode and will want everything sorted! Definitely get the cot built, a good monitor, we bought this one:

http://www.mothercare.com/Angelcare-Sou ... ed-tab-3-5

Junior slept on her tummy, when they are little they cannot lift their heads, so a sensor under her to sense heartbeat was very re-assuring - you probably won't need this as most kids sleep on their backs.

Get a change mat, stock up on nappies and baby wipes (go for the supermarket offers and buy in bulk).

And buy lots of muslin cloths!!!!

All the costs are right now, just pick and choose what is best for you - don't let mumsnet or baby magazines tell you that you "need something or you are a bad parent!"

Above all else, enjoy!
  • NGale
    Mumsnet should come with a warning....May Contain Nuts!

Just Daily Mail readers with pushchairs that lot :shock:
  • will3
    And another thing:

Don't buy anything from Mothercare, chaps. I don't know what they're trying to imply with that shop title, but it's clearly not a place that welcomes fathers. :twisted:
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    We're expecting our second and are regretting not getting one of those Phil & Teds machines that allow you to push two at once. If you're thinking of having a second at some point it might be worth considering, as I fear we are going to be buying twice....
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    We're expecting our second and are regretting not getting one of those Phil & Teds machines that allow you to push two at once. If you're thinking of having a second at some point it might be worth considering, as I fear we are going to be buying twice....

+1

We got a Mountain Buggy with our first (which is brilliant) but got a Phil & Ted's when the second (and then third) arrived. The Phil & Ted's isn't so good as a single buggy (we're back on the Mountain Buggy plus a buggy board now) as it is heavy and the steering geometry isn't so good (amongst other more minor things) but as a double buggy solution, it can't be beaten.

_
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Ebay is your friend, and the NCT Nearly New sales (although the latter is a bit more of a scrum).

Also, if you haven't done so already, sign up to Freecycle and look out for baby-related stuff.

Otherwise, welcome to the world of not having a pot to p1ss in.

:lol:

All that fun taken away in one expensive swoop

Laugh it up big man. I'm f*cking dreading that moment.
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/

Best thing we ever bought for our kids when they were babies.
  • NGale
    woodnut wrote:

You know I have a deep loathing of men who carry babies around in those sling things, firstly it looks poncy, secondly it just screams 'look at me I can procreate, arn't I clever'

Commonly worn by so called middle class men who think they are getting in touch with their feminine side but instead look total prats.

Yes I am feeling a bit grumpy today.
  • woodnut
    NGale wrote:
    woodnut wrote:

You know I have a deep loathing of men who carry babies around in those sling things, firstly it looks poncy, secondly it just screams 'look at me I can procreate, arn't I clever'

Commonly worn by so called middle class men who think they are getting in touch with their feminine side but instead look total prats.

:( bloody hell :(
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    NGale wrote:
    woodnut wrote:

I think the word you're looking for is 'metrosexual'
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:
    woodnut wrote:

Or better still, lets call a spade a spade and just say, 'c0ck'
  • woodnut
    NGale wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    woodnut wrote:

Or better still, lets call a spade a spade and just say, 'c0ck'
    Now hang on........

Real men only use pushchairs is it,feckin ridiculous :roll: