Boardman adverts

Jay dubbleU
Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Is anyone else getting hacked off by Chris Boardmans adverts whilst watching the TDF ?

Comments

• welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    You mean the ones that say,

'I knew I had watched a whole stage live when my family had to lift me off the sofa at the end of the race'

Yep they are getting on my tits :P
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    After the second advert of the live coverage of the first stage they were getting on my nerves.

By now I'm at the point my remote control is never very far from me so the mute button is within easy reach.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Switched to Eurosport. Cringeworthy.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Have only watched Eurosport so far & the SIDI ingredients advert gets on my t*ts!
  • cjcp
    iPete wrote:
    Have only watched Eurosport so far & the SIDI ingredients advert gets on my t*ts!

Yes, but they're continentals. The Boardman ads are British. We're supposed to know better.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    What would you all do then if it was your brand and you were summarising with Monsieur Imlach? I don't mind them tbh, like someone said the Eurosport ones are a shocker.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Boardman ads are cringe-worthy. What's more I don't actually believe that he believes what he is saying. The lines have been written for him.

The Skoda ad on Eurosport is quality tho
    FCN = 4
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    MTB-Idle wrote:

+1, best AD i have seen in a long time!

and the boardman ADs are getting Rather annoying now, the first few were good, but now i just switch channel for a few minuets until the coverage resumes.
  • suzyb
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Boardman ads are cringe-worthy. What's more I don't actually believe that he believes what he is saying. The lines have been written for him.

You get that one on ITV as well. Although it looks to me like the teams are using Volvos. Haven't really got a good look at the badge though so they could be volvo looking skodas.

Still I guess it's worth having to mute the TV every ad break if the adverts help keep the show on the TV.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I work in advertising and I agree the Boardman ads are dreadful, really awful cheesy rubbish. Obviously been written by a very poor agency if indeed they used an agency.

Very offputting towards the Boardman brand, and I have a Boardman.
  • cjcp
    gaddster wrote:
    What would you all do then if it was your brand and you were summarising with Monsieur Imlach? I don't mind them tbh, like someone said the Eurosport ones are a shocker.

Is this the first year that he's spoken during the ads, though?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    All credit to the guy he had a great career as a pro and the bikes themselves are pretty good but why oh why didn't he invest in some decent advertising
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Just start watching 15 minutes after the highlights start (while recording) then fast forward past ALL the Ads.

You catch up right at the end 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    The Boardman ads are awful. Bad enough to be funny at first, but the novelty wore off very quickly. It's a bit harsh to blame the guy himself though; he is just doing what he is told as he has to under his contractual obligations and reading a script, and the brand's owner, Halfords, are responsible for choosing whatever advertising agency they are allowing to pollute the brand name, the airwaves, and a small part of my life.

Halfords are, I suspect, doing themselves no favours with these ads, and they do not have a good enough reputation to mess with thier market share like this. We can but hope that they will either a) employ a better agency, or b) STFU next year.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hesitate to admit it, but I can no longer watch live TV - I have to box it and then replay so I can fast forward through the ad breaks. In fact truth be told 99.5% of the time my TV viewing is dictated by what is downloaded automatically to our BT box (and is therefore pre-sanitised with the ads removed for you already)

Is it my imagination by the way, or are the ad breaks way longer than they used to be? And I swear that the volume is lots higher too. I seem to remember reading that the ad companies deny this and just say that they deliberately make use of the broadest possible acoustic 'spectrum' to give the effect without actually raising the volume.

Anyroad. I bloody hate ad breaks.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Quite like Skoda ad except for very short section (2 secs?) that to my mind is very reminiscent of WW's accident.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    Yes they are truly horrible and I am a Boardman owner.

Luckily, I'm also a PVR owner so I just press the "skip forwards 30 seconds" button when they are on.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    the brand's owner, Halfords, are responsible for choosing whatever advertising agency they are allowing to pollute the brand name, the airwaves, and a small part of my life..

Do Hlafords own Boardman then? I didn't think they did, just the distribution rights.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Yep, shockingly low-budget, but I bet they do their job (i.e making those who are fairly new to road bikes aware of the Boardman brand). Personally, watching the TDF makes me realise I need a Pinarello (and everytime I watch one of the riders angrily chuck one to the ground it hurts me physically) :cry:

Is that a stealth Boardman he rides in his little demo bits?

PS. I too fast forward the ads.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Just start watching 15 minutes after the highlights start (while recording) then fast forward past ALL the Ads.

You catch up right at the end 8)

Yes, yes, yes :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, I thought Halfords had the UK exclusive distribution rights and that was it, although clearly that may knock on into advertising in the UK as a sale for either party is a sale for both.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517

That's what I thought - and why black out the logo when his brand is sponsoring the program ? Makes it look like he's not riding a Boardman.

And yes, the Eurosport Sidi adverts are quite worrying. In fact, Italian cycling advertising has been cringworthy for decades now. It wasn't that long ago they had topless women advertising Santini clothing in magazines (with bib-tights hiding the naughty bits of course).

I loved Cunego's selection of Fizik saddles in his penthouse suite !

But 'spin the bottle [Sidi shoe]' TV ad would have been much better if they're dared each other to do something

Oh well, we could start a whole thread on poor adverts. Needless to say, the average cyclist probably could do better than the advertising companies that are getting paid to do this !
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    edited July 2011
    BG2000 wrote:
    It wasn't that long ago they had topless women advertising Santini clothing in magazines (with bib-tights hiding the naughty bits of course).

And this is wrong how?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    BG2000 wrote:

That's what I thought - and why black out the logo when his brand is sponsoring the program ? Makes it look like he's not riding a Boardman.

Isn't that product placement?
  • suzyb
    SimonAH wrote:
    Hesitate to admit it, but I can no longer watch live TV - I have to box it and then replay so I can fast forward through the ad breaks. In fact truth be told 99.5% of the time my TV viewing is dictated by what is downloaded automatically to our BT box (and is therefore pre-sanitised with the ads removed for you already)

Is it my imagination by the way, or are the ad breaks way longer than they used to be? And I swear that the volume is lots higher too. I seem to remember reading that the ad companies deny this and just say that they deliberately make use of the broadest possible acoustic 'spectrum' to give the effect without actually raising the volume.

It's not your imagination.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Chris Boardman cannot be seen riding a Boardman bike during the show because that would be classed as product placement. This may change in the future as the rules regarding product placement have changed recently.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,951
    BG2000 wrote:

It certainly is, I remember watching probably 3 or 4 years ago, and for the very first program of Le Tour he was riding around on a fully labelled up Boardman, but clearly someone got rapped on the knuckles for it, as the next program, it was all taped over.

And it's been the same ever since.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    I have a question... If Eurosport is a user pays service, why are they subjecting viewers to ad's. Isn't that like paying twice? What do Eurosport subscribers think?
  • Confusedboy
    SimonAH wrote:

Ad breaks on channels other than the 'free to air' ones are subject to different rules regarding length, and are definitely longer, and more frequent.

The advertisers' sound engineers use a recording tequnique called 'compression', made famous on 60s pop records as the 'Phil Spector Wall of Sound' (I regard it as a wall of something else starting with S), which reduces accoustic bandwidth, also dynamic range and spectrum, creating an illusion of higher volume. But I also believe they up the volume as well, it's just hard to prove. Of course the ad companies deny but advertising is based on a fairly selective interpretation of the truth anyway.

I don't hate them all. They are timed to enable you to make a cup of tea, which is a good thing.
  • Confusedboy
    I have a question... If Eurosport is a user pays service, why are they subjecting viewers to ad's. Isn't that like paying twice? What do Eurosport subscribers think?

This applies to all pay per view channels. You seem to be developing a fine understanding of Capitalism.....