"Flats & 5,10s"......WOW.

13»

Comments

• CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Atz, but where's the fun in that :)

paul.skibum, finally someone agrees! It is possible to achieve the same thing with flats but to get the most out of it does help to be clipped in.

yeehaa, that was one of their conclusions as regards the affect of pedalling technique on the "effective measurement" and I'm not disputing it.

however, what those studies don't mention is this... it proved it was possible to generate torque on the upstroke (but not that affects max torque), now if you can accept that there is a dead spot on every rotation of the crank then by modifying your pedalling technique to reduce the dead spot by adding more pull on the upstroke means you can start the downstroke earlier. This technique can be called pedalling in circles or pedalling on the upstroke.

you won't be generating any more torque (as we all know max torque is generated on the down stroke), but surely you will be generating more power as your RPM will be slightly increased by engaging the down stroke earlier?
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    CycloRos wrote:
    you won't be generating any more torque (as we all know max torque is generated on the down stroke), but surely you will be generating more power as your RPM will be slightly increased by engaging the down stroke earlier?

You can't generate power without generating torque.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    no sh*t sherlock, I know how to calulate power thank you very much 8)

as I stated the RPM will be increased hence more power for the same amount of torque, and over a period of time should make you more efficient.

all highly theoretical I'll admit but it's amusing me for the time being... off for a ride now to clear my head...
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you didn't have pedal threads wouldn't they fall off?

(fetches coat)
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i recently tried out flats after 20 or so years on spd's and had mixed feelings. the main problem i had with the flats was the fact that if i hit a bumpy bit of ground fast, my feet would be dislodged from the pedal and then i would be fumbling around trying to get my foot back into position which is hard when your being bounced around. so a few times i was hitting jumps with only half a foot on the pedal. i do ride hardtails and the effect would probably not be as severe on full sus. nothing wrong with the pedal/shoe combo i was using as they were grippy as hell. it was the grippy as hell aspect i found to be a problem, if my feet were slightly out of position i would have to lift my foot to try and find the position i want which isnt easy when flying over rough terrain. on the other hand i did feel more at ease when tackling jumps and drop offs if i had the right foot position. im going to build a play bike which will have flats but i wont be used anywhere but smooth tracks and jumps.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited July 2011
    CycloRos wrote:
    no sh*t sherlock, I know how to calulate power thank you very much 8)

as I stated the RPM will be increased hence more power for the same amount of torque, and over a period of time should make you more efficient.

Nope. Same amount of peak torque, sure, but that's not the same as the "same amount of torque", Watson.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    pastey_boy wrote:
    i recently tried out flats after 20 or so years on spd's and had mixed feelings. the main problem i had with the flats was the fact that if i hit a bumpy bit of ground fast, my feet would be dislodged from the pedal and then i would be fumbling around trying to get my foot back into position which is hard when your being bounced around. so a few times i was hitting jumps with only half a foot on the pedal. i do ride hardtails and the effect would probably not be as severe on full sus. nothing wrong with the pedal/shoe combo i was using as they were grippy as hell. it was the grippy as hell aspect i found to be a problem, if my feet were slightly out of position i would have to lift my foot to try and find the position i want which isnt easy when flying over rough terrain. on the other hand i did feel more at ease when tackling jumps and drop offs if i had the right foot position. im going to build a play bike which will have flats but i wont be used anywhere but smooth tracks and jumps.
    That's a massive flaw in your technique there. Drop your heels, position the pedals in the arch of your feet on rough terrain and use both your knees and ankles to absorb impact.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Mmm, tend to agree - I find on occassion the flat to shoe interface is a bit less connected but generally I dont lose contact - I adapted my technique a little to deal with the jump/berm/jump/drop/jump/berm sequences that are prevailant where I am riding - despite the 8 inch travel bike I am riding I dont think its the suspension helping I think I am shaping my foot/shoe to keep contact and ride the impacts. It's kinda nice. Managed a pretty decent whip the other day on a small table.

Ready for the X games. SH*t yeah.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.