Buying speed, cranks?

2»

Comments

• snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    iPete wrote:
    Love how my bike feels running lighter wheels/tubes/tyres; can you achieve the same sensation by reducing rotational weight at the crank?...

No.
    When you accelerate you need to spin up the drivetrain, but the gears mean that the wheels spin faster than the cranks and the rims+tyres are the furthest parts away from the centre, so that's where the mass has the most effect.
    Lightening the tyres makes a big difference to the amount of energy you have to use to spin the drivetrain up to speed. The weight on the cranks is much less significant, and the weight differences between cranksets are pretty small.
    Pedal/shoe weight would make a bit more difference (again, distance from centre of rotation impacts the angular momentum) but not as much as weight at the rims.

Cheers,
    W.
    Also, your cadence shouldn't change much, therefore your cranks don't accelerate/decelerate as much as your wheels - that's the point of having gears.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    iPete wrote:
    One last thing; how can I work out whether I have an English or Italian BB thread?

You should have an English BB. Check what you have atm.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    hmmm nevermind, all the advice has been fantastic, would have never known the chain was stretched but the voice of reason is coming over me, I'd like all new shiny 105 but I can get a new cassette, chain and outer ring for £60 with change for some cleaner lube, gotta stop using the mint sensation stuff...