Is there a true 21st Century Touring bike..?

jimmcdonnell
jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
edited July 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'd like a proper touring bike, but all the ones I've seen online look like

a) they're from the 1950s
b) they should be ridden by Claire Balding (no offense CB)
c) the rider should be in tweed plus-fours and chuffing a pipe as he/she goes along

So - is there a touring bike out there that looks like it was designed and built this century? I'm thinking possibly disk brakes (cable), 30-speed (ignoring durability issues with the narrower chain), alloy frame (ignoring the 'what if you need it welded in the middle of nowhere?' argument).

Any thoughts?
Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Aren't alloy frames a bit 1950s?
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/bosanova-2011-touring-bike-ec025746

Still a steel frame though.

Why would you specify an alloy frame? What do you perceive are the advantages of alloy over steel for a touring bike?

And what's wrong with Clare Balding?

If "looking cool" is so important to you then maybe bicycle touring isn't for you :D
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    Singular Peregrine OK so it's looks are a bit "retro" but totally modern design then again I'm biassed I just got one and I'm loving it. :D
  • EnglishChris
    EnglishChris Posts: 210
    My On-One Inbred built up as a tourer looks pretty 21st century. Its steel though...
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Touring bikes are a matter of form and function - there is a reason they look the way they do; they are designed to carry a rider and his/her gear for great distances comfortably and reliably, and are meant to be highly durable. All of these qualities are valued ahead of speed and, within reason, weight.

A touring bike does what it does very well.

If you really find the design and looks of a classic touring bike to be so off-putting, I would suggest you buy a regular road bike and make do with that - as best you can.
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    You could buy yourself a hybrid and fit drops. Providing the bike uses road gearing and brakes (road pull disc brakes are available) it will work together smoothly. A good example would be a Trek 7.7FX which uses a road triple front mech and cranks and mini-V's, all you need are drops and STI's, the main problem is the fork, which won't take a low-rider rack, but the geometry is spot on for touring.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    grand%20route.JPG
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Ok Mr Poseur what's the make of the above bike since it is de-badged and minus handlebar tape?

It would be a true touring bike if it had a Rohloff hub :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I'd like a proper touring bike, but all the ones I've seen online look like

a) they're from the 1950s
    b) they should be ridden by Claire Balding (no offense CB)
    c) the rider should be in tweed plus-fours and chuffing a pipe as he/she goes along

So - is there a touring bike out there that looks like it was designed and built this century? I'm thinking possibly disk brakes (cable), 30-speed (ignoring durability issues with the narrower chain), alloy frame (ignoring the 'what if you need it welded in the middle of nowhere?' argument).

Any thoughts?

You wouldn't be ever so slightly trolling would you :lol: ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Ha! It's not mine. It's a Tout Terrain Grande Route.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Santos, Koga Miyata and Tout Terrain all make state of the art touring bikes using all the latest mod-cons such as Rohloff/gates carbon drive/hydraulic disc/dynohub. A lot of Dutch and German riders use them.

Most top-notch racing equipment is simply unsuitable for touring, it wear out too quickly, to finnicky in adjustment, lack of suitable controls for touring bars, incompatibility between road and MTB.
    In the world of suspension forks, good forks are for racing, reliable, low maintenance forks are for farting around. Does anyone make a high-grade, low maintenance fork with fittings for luggage rack?
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    I am not sure that the 21st century tourer necessarily needs drop-bars; I think butterfly bars are far more modern. But bars are a personal thing like saddles, luggage and gear controls.
    Of course with the trend for the big three to generalise on 10 or 11 speed cassettes any modern tourer is going to have to be hub geared, either Rohloff or Alfine 11. A friend who is president of a neighbouring club has used his chain tool 4 times so far this year to repair broken (10 speed) chains (not his) on rides. He has never known that before in over 40 years hard touring!
    St John St make a suitable steel fork with all the bits and bobs (but not disc mounts). Surly do as well. Any reasonable frame builder should be able to do one as well!
    My ideal 21st century tourer would probably be an Airinimal or a Bike Friday (prefer the Airinimal because of the 24" wheels) definitely not a trendy drop bar racer.

If the OP really wants something to fit his ideas of modern, perhaps he should work out his specifications and ask a builder to build it, rather looking to buy mass market stuff on the Net!

Cheers Jo
  • mz__jo
    Sorry I hadn't thought of sus forks. If they are solid enough to be reliable they are heavy enough not to want to weight up the front end of the bike with luggage; if not, you don't want to put luggage on them (ideally). Or am I thinking like someone from the 50's?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If you are carrying a lot of luggage up front, suspension forks should make the bike easier to handle, as long as the luggage is suspended. Most systems fix the luggage to the non-suspended lower stanchions. As usual Moulton showed the way decades ago.

With MTB forks, the cons outway the pros for touring.
  • mz__jo
    MichaelW wrote:
    If you are carrying a lot of luggage up front, suspension forks should make the bike easier to handle, as long as the luggage is suspended. Most systems fix the luggage to the non-suspended lower stanchions. As usual Moulton showed the way decades ago.

With MTB forks, the cons outway the pros for touring.

Most sus forks will have a suspension system and damping calculated for a rider weight of 80kgs max (generally the higher quality, more sport oriented, ones will have a design weight lower than the recreational or utility ones because competitive riders tend to be lighter). Allowing for a 50% split of the load on the bike f-r and a bike weight of 12kgs that gives a design load around 46kgs (manufacturers can say what they want, the reality of the situation is something like that). Normally the split wouldn't be 50-50 so reduce the load to 40kgs on the fork (and I am generous, including the weight of the front wheel and brakes in the figure). Add 10kgs of luggage and you are on 25% overload which is not a good thing for a short journey and probably the kiss of death for a tour of 1000 miles in conditions where you might appreciate the full benefit of suspension. Leaving aside the Moulton system (didn't Cannondale have a similar idea on their race bikes for Paris-Roubaix a few years ago, didn't catch on as I recall) there isn't really a superior alternative to a properly designed rigid steel fork at present (do Thorn still have their suspension system on sale or has that been abandonned).

All criticisms of my calculations accepted and appreciated but I think I am not too far from the mark.

Cheers Jo
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Dont forget that many suspension forks/shocks would need to be sent away to an authorized service center every 100 hours to avoid voiding warranty and some need fluid changed in intervals as little as 30 hours...

saying that I know a guy who has a set of air forks that have never been serviced in 5 years of fairly regular use (has never even changed the fluid :shock: ) and they seem to be in full working order.
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya/

Saw one loaded up outside a cafe on the way to work this morning. I can think of better places to be cycle touring than Watford city centre on a Tuesday morning, but whatever.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Maybe connecting a luggage trailer to a suitable "tourer" would negate some of the non 21st century aspects that seem to appear on some traditional touring bikes?
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    my Ti tourer, built by Burls.

burls_3.jpg

http://ba-joseph.co.uk/Burls/
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • flester
    flester Posts: 464
    Some people care about looks, and some just like cycling. No point in changing looks for the sake of it.

Why no mudguards on the Ti tourer pictured above? Not cool?

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • flester
    One advantage is that the typical gobshite who steals bikes wouldn't bother with something that looks so 'old-fashioned'

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    flester wrote:
    Some people care about looks, and some just like cycling. No point in changing looks for the sake of it.

It wasn't raining and I'd only just finished building it up. if it not raining, i don't use mudguards.

if you look at the other images given in the link, you will see that nothing about us looks cool, but we do have mudguards. i kept them on as it was a 10 day tour and it would probably rain at some point.

Looking 'Cool' is the least of my worries.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    One way to get a contemporary look is to go custom. Robin Mather did a pretty nice job with mine:

http://downthegreatdivide.wordpress.com ... /the-bike/

http://downthegreatdivide.wordpress.com ... interlude/

Its unfortunate that I got one of the very last Magura forks specifically designed for touring (very strong and simple) - they stopped making them in 2009. I think a combination of hydraulic disk brake at the front and rim brake at the rear works well on rough roads.

I think the Surly Troll is a good example of a contemporary do-it-all touring bike, it looks great and seems very practical

http://whileoutriding.com/my-bike/
  • flester
    flester wrote:

It wasn't raining and I'd only just finished building it up. if it not raining, i don't use mudguards.

if you look at the other images given in the link, you will see that nothing about us looks cool, but we do have mudguards. i kept them on as it was a 10 day tour and it would probably rain at some point.

Looking 'Cool' is the least of my worries.
    Fair enough - the Ti tourer does look cool anyway. Just wouldn't bother ever taking off mudguards myself once they're on but I know there are situations where one might. I'd day a Ti frame rides pretty nicely?? Just got a Ridgeback Voyage which looks very much like the traditional touring bike I must say.

• tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    How far are you going touring? Friend of mine has just finished LEJOG solo on a lightweight roadbike. He could get enough luggage into a large saddle bag and bar bag (including tent and sleeping bag) so he didn't need pannier racks. I think fully loaded his bike was something like 11.5 kg (including water bottle). If you don't like the looks then maybe a new road bike would work for you?
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I ride with suspension forks but only because i like to combine touring (usually by road) with MTBing on rougher paths. For road riding and dirt road riding there's no real benefit in suspension forks (although yes you might be thankful for them if you hit a big pothole at speed). And as someone said, the recommended service intervals for modern air forks are incredibly low - I use a pair of refurbished Mazocchs that work with oil and beefy springs.

Anyway the stuff about rider weight isn't correct. With air forks you would compensate for extra weight by increasing the air pressure. Here's a link to recommended weights and pressures for Rockshox forks:

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/2305708

There's no maximum rider weight specified and the table goes up to <90kgs.
  • EnglishChris
    EnglishChris Posts: 210
    andymiller wrote:
    I use a pair of refurbished Mazocchs that work with oil and beefy springs.

Which forks do you have?
    Offroad: Canyon Nerve XC8 (2012)
    Touring / Commuting: On-One Inbred (2011)(FCN9)

http://uninspiredramblings.wordpress.com
  • mz__jo
    andymiller wrote:
    I ride with suspension forks but only because i like to combine touring (usually by road) with MTBing on rougher paths. For road riding and dirt road riding there's no real benefit in suspension forks (although yes you might be thankful for them if you hit a big pothole at speed). And as someone said, the recommended service intervals for modern air forks are incredibly low - I use a pair of refurbished Mazocchs that work with oil and beefy springs.

Anyway the stuff about rider weight isn't correct. With air forks you would compensate for extra weight by increasing the air pressure. Here's a link to recommended weights and pressures for Rockshox forks:

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/2305708

There's no maximum rider weight specified and the table goes up to <90kgs.

Thanks Andy. I stand corrected.
    I am sure that my Suntour forks are also supposedly adjustable to over 90kgs but when my weight gets to 90kgs and I put just 10kgs on the front end I am willing to bet that the seals will blow and the cartridges explode long before I can draw any meaningful conclusions. (not that I am willing to go that far; I prefer my rigid fork for touring in the first place)