Horner Video...scary

Bakunin
Bakunin Posts: 868
edited July 2011 in Pro race
I understand all the Wiggo talk, but this video is not good.

Boonen report was not good either.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/thisjustin/2 ... nce-stage/

Comments

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    Saw that, you have to be concerned for his welfare!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Hmm, that isn't good. I know one of the main reasons people like pro cycling is because the riders are hard as nails, but it disturbs me a little when someone is knocked unconscious and literally doesn't know what country he's in, but still encouraged to keep going and finish the stage.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    ^^Yeah, with you there :?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2011
    Seems like concussion. If so, he'll be out of the race for sure. He'll be OK in the long run.

It's a shame. I like him. I wanted him to do well.

Many seem to hate him as an extension of their Armstrong hatred, but all American racers seem to speak very highly of him as a person. I like to see him as an American Russ Downing.

Poulidor came 3rd in the Tour aged 40, so it's not over for him yet.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bakunin
    I think the people around Boonen and Horner have some explaining to do.

Boonen had no business being on a bike today if those reports are correct.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    for sure its unfortunate but I don't get all the people blaming the race organizers for the all the crashes etc..
    cartoon.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Only just read that about Boonen.

Think we all have a different perspective on it after the Giro and Tour of Switzerland.

Horner certainly shouldn't have ridden in that state. Boonen probably not either.

A bit of road rash, bruising or even a small fracture is not the same as stuff to do with your head.

As an aside, neither of their helemts seemed to have taken the brunt of the fall.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Not good, hope he'll be ok. The scariest part for me was how Horners whole face seemed to be swollen, just like that photo of Wouter Weylandt after his crash.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • afx237vi
    RichN95 wrote:
    Seems like concussion. If so, he'll be out of the race for sure. He'll be OK in the long run.

Many seem to hate him as an extension of their Armstrong hatred, but all American racers seem to speak very highly of him as a person. I like to see him as an American Russ Downing.

Really? I don't get that impression. He's only spent two years on a team with Armstrong, and he was on Astana before Armstrong joined. I don't think they were ever that close either - I remember an interview in Velonews a couple of years ago where he was talking about why he'd never joined US Postal / Discovery, and he was pretty clear that the only reason was because Armstrong didn't want him there.

Anyway, I thought he was quite popular.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Wow that's shocking, he's really not with it. Hope he recovers quickly.
  • ddraver
    Where's the Boonen report sorry, i can't see it anywhere or I'm being thick...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen- ... ead-injury
  • sonny73
    edited July 2011
    Team officials later reported that Horner had suffered a concussion and a broken nose.
    From: http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/07/ ... nce_182706

Nasty stuff :(
  • Bakunin
    ddraver wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boonen- ... ead-injury
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Only just read that about Boonen.

Think we all have a different perspective on it after the Giro and Tour of Switzerland.

Horner certainly shouldn't have ridden in that state. Boonen probably not either.

A bit of road rash, bruising or even a small fracture is not the same as stuff to do with your head.

As an aside, neither of their helemts seemed to have taken the brunt of the fall.

Peeters sounds like a dick from that report.

'Boss, Tommeke can't ride, he doesn't know where he is and he's weaving around like he's back on the marching powder.

Tommeke: 'Boss, the colours & sounds hurt, I'm going to die'

Peeters: 'Are you SURE you can't go on? This is the Tour(TM). Oh, OK, I can't force you I guess...'

Strava is not Zen.
  • sonny73
    afx237vi wrote:
    Hmm, that isn't good. I know one of the main reasons people like pro cycling is because the riders are hard as nails, but it disturbs me a little when someone is knocked unconscious and literally doesn't know what country he's in, but still encouraged to keep going and finish the stage.
    +1 indeed, not cool.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    afx237vi wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Really? I don't get that impression. He's only spent two years on a team with Armstrong, and he was on Astana before Armstrong joined. I don't think they were ever that close either - I remember an interview in Velonews a couple of years ago where he was talking about why he'd never joined US Postal / Discovery, and he was pretty clear that the only reason was because Armstrong didn't want him there.

Anyway, I thought he was quite popular.

Indeed, he considered staying with Astana, but if I remember correctly, he went with RS for family reasons?
  • rick_chasey
    Interview with Boonen for the Dutchies:
    http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.1062357

Basically said yesterday he was fine, but last night he started feeling ill & dizzy with headaches, and it just got worse during the day.
  • ddraver
    (OT - ^^The Cav thing underneath is quite good for the english/non Dutch speaking Dutchies!)
    - @ddraver
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Is it an issue with the TdF being too dominant in the world of racing? There was all the reports today of Chavenel too being in absolute agony yesterday but kept going 'because it's the Tour'.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I guess it's a 'pride' thing - it must be such a professional 'high' to ride in the Tour - IF you thought you could ride through the pain, would you? I suspect that these guys are made of sterner stuff than us mere mortals.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • rick_chasey
    Is it an issue with the TdF being too dominant in the world of racing? There was all the reports today of Chavenel too being in absolute agony yesterday but kept going 'because it's the Tour'.

Yeah of course.

For Boonen for example, I can't think of another race where he'd carry on like that.

A classic? He's already out of the running.

Another stage race? Not worth it.

Nothing the Tour can do about being 'too dominant'. S'the way cycling's been for the last 20 years at least.

There seem to be more nasty big peloton crashes than I cam remember for a while - in terms of the frequency of the bigger ones.

It's probably just coincidence and more sensitivity to it post-Weylandt (and Soler), both in the peloton and from the sofa, rather than much else.

I'll confess, I didn't write much about Weylandt on here when it happened, and I didn't think it affected me all that much, bit with hindsight, ever since I've noticed I've been quicker to squeeze the breaks when I'm out on my bike that usual. I'm not even riding in the peloton, so I can imagine that things like that can make everyone that little bit more nervous. Whether that has something to do with it I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.
  • afx237vi
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    I guess it's a 'pride' thing - it must be such a professional 'high' to ride in the Tour - IF you thought you could ride through the pain, would you? I suspect that these guys are made of sterner stuff than us mere mortals.

Why is it up to the rider to make that decision? Does a boxer decide whether he's OK to fight on or not? No, because being hit on the head does not lead to sensible decisions.

I don't know if the race doctor has the power to withdraw riders or not, but if he hasn't, maybe that's something that should be considered.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    It's really quite un-nerving to see that sort of confusion from head injuries first hand. It happened once during my football days when one of our strikers got clattered just before half-time but carried on playing until the break. He wandered up to the rest of the team a bit dazed then asked me what the score was and I actually thought he was taking the p1ss or something until I could see in his eyes he was gone. We were 2-1 up and he'd scored one of them and didn't have any recollection it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    afx237vi wrote:
    Why is it up to the rider to make that decision? Does a boxer decide whether he's OK to fight on or not? No, because being hit on the head does not lead to sensible decisions.

I don't know if the race doctor has the power to withdraw riders or not, but if he hasn't, maybe that's something that should be considered.

Let's face it, team doctors haven't got the best track record of considering rider's health first.

Horner isn't so bad. I've seen it a lot of times (once myself). You get to realise it's not really that big a deal in the long run (as long as it's not frequent). Usually we just take the piss.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    This is pretty stone age stuff.

Most other sports have pretty established protocols when someone has concussion. You are usually out for two weeks. The cycling mentality seems to be stick them back on the bike and hope they don't fall again.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I was hoping Horner would do well. He looked very thin at the start and has had good form. But yeah, he should've been put in an ambulance, not on a bike.

Even the most informed Armstrong haterz like Horner. I think he's probably one of the most talented guys out of the US.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Were cycling a "contact" sport, a hit like that would automatically mean two to three weeks on the sideline. The need for such precautionary measures when possible brain injuries are involved is self evident.
    Were it a boxing match, the ref would have called a halt to the fight.
    Very worrying that he appeared still in a state of utter confusion, while being put into the ambulance, as this was quite some time after the incident.
    A very disturbing video.

After the tragedy and near tragedy of WW and Soler, you would have thought race docs and DSs would appreciate the need to put safety ahead of possible team contribution.
    But no, this is cycling, after all.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Horner out, according to the Hog

JohanBruyneel : - Update on @hornerakg: doing much better, 2nd head scan ok. Broken nose & big haematoma on right calf. No start. Wish him a speedy recovery
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    I was hoping Horner would do well. He looked very thin at the start and has had good form. But yeah, he should've been put in an ambulance, not on a bike.

Even the most informed Armstrong haterz like Horner. I think he's probably one of the most talented guys out of the US.

Yep agree with that, think we saw the Armstrong hatred extension being displayed by emadden yesterday when he said he couldnt give a sh*te about his welfare..............this coming from a cycling fan as well :roll:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !