Clipless pedals - SPDs/mtb vs road-specific

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
I know a lot of people on here run SPDs or similar recessed-cleat pedals/shoes while commuting ease of walking and ability to put one's foot down without damaging the cleats. A fair few of you also seem to do a fair few serious sportives and may have a stable of bikes.

I recently got a new bike for 'best' use and threw a pair of Ultegra SPD pedals on so I didn't have to buy new shoes, but the girlfriend is getting a new steed and is thinking about getting some road shoes and pedals and keeping her SPDs/mtb shoes for the commuter.

What pedals/shoes do you use on your bike/bikes? Do you use solely road pedals/shoes on your fleet? Do you exclusively use SPDs/SPD-style pedals? Do you have different shoes/pedals for your commuter and your Sunday best bike?
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Commute - spd's
    Weekender - Look Keo's
    MTB - DMB V12 flats
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Commute - Speedplay Zero
    Sunday - Speedplay Zero
    Lying in a drawer waiting for a pub hack build - SPD XT
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Commuter - SPDs (M520s) with dhb off-road shoes
    Nice/sportives/country lane cruising etc - SPD-SLs
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    MTB SPDs on the road bike and the MTB.

Though the bike I'm building up as a singlespeed hack bike/bad weather commuter might get flats. Still prevaricating on that one.
  • bails87 wrote:
    "I don't ride a bike so I don't use any".......

That's what he said, honest :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Summer - Look Keos
    Winter - SPDs
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    DH Bike - spd's
    Trail bike - spd's
    Commute - on the trail bike......so...spd's

same pedals get swapped between bikes....

same shoes get worn...

Currently white (but mud dulled) shimano mp66
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    use spd on one shoe and look on other - best of both worlds :oops:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    - SPDs (M520s)- possibly the most common peddle ever?
    - Shoes: Shimano M087 2011 Mountain Bike Shoe

I only have one bike at the moment, next season will be picking up a roadie and will buy another pair M520s, love them.
  • keyser__soze
    edited July 2011
    Interesting. For those of you who use SPDs and road pedals do you notice a big difference when moving between the two? I guess difference in shoes may account for some difference in feel as road shoes tend to be lighter and stiffer than mtb shoes. I suspect I'm only thinking about road pedals/shoes as road shoes were much more tarty and noticeably lighter when we looked at them in CycleSurgery last weekend, even at the £200+ end of the market. However if I just want to look tarty I may get some shoe covers/belgian booties for about a tenner and slap them over my cheapo M076 - much cheaper than a snazzy looking pair of road shoes.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:

Eh?

And, I use MTB type SPDs and MTB shoes on my road/commute bike and MTB. I don't do any particularly long rides though, did 40 miles and that was fine.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cjcp
    Different feel, yes, but also the soles on my road shoes are stiffer, so that accounts for much of the difference. It's ok in practice because you just get used to it.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Commuting distance, probably I wouldn't notice the difference between the two (Shimano shoes with spd's; Spesh BG pros with the Look's) but when I rode the commuter up to Cambridge the other weekend feet developed some sore spots. Have never had that with the BG pros, which are much lighter, stiffer and sit on a wider platform.
  • keyser__soze
    cjcp, different as in faster or just different? The A600 pedals I bought have a bit of a platform that the shoe sole pushes against and are as light as most similarly priced road pedals. I'm thinking about upgrading my shoes for 'best' riding as the M076 are a bit flexy but wondering whether to get a decent carbon-soled mtb shoe or go roadie.
  • bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Eh?

And, I use MTB type SPDs and MTB shoes on my road/commute bike and MTB. I don't do any particularly long rides though, did 40 miles and that was fine.

Sorry, I most unfairly cropped a comment you made on the Hacking thread to completely mis-represent you.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • cjcp
    cjcp, different as in faster or just different? The A600 pedals I bought have a bit of a platform that the shoe sole pushes against and are as light as most similarly priced road pedals. I'm thinking about upgrading my shoes for 'best' riding as the M076 are a bit flexy but wondering whether to get a decent carbon-soled mtb shoe or go roadie.

The DHBs are more sturdy, a bit clumpier, and you can use them for mtbing or CX. The sole's a bit flexier, too. OTOH, my road shoes are Nike Poggios, so a lot lighter, but have a stiffer sole. Very comfortable, though. I wouldn't be any faster if I used the Poggios on the commute.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • keyser__soze
    cjcp, thanks. Not really thinking about the commute, more sportives, weekend rides and the upcoming trip to the Dolomites. The girlfriend is thinking of going into racing so it def makes sense for her to go road shoes, esp as her current shoes are a bit big for her.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    bails87 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Eh?

Sorry, I most unfairly cropped a comment you made on the Hacking thread to completely mis-represent you.

You'll be hearing from my lawyer!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Do we not need a new option for 66 with "ridiculous high end you'll never see them on any other bike in the world things"
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    i use these pedals on my sabbath:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shiman ... f&oq=&aq=f

they seem to give you a bit of lateral stability with spd cleats for a "road" clip feel

but I use spd cleats on my shoes for all bikes
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    MTB & Commuter - SPD
    Weekender/road bike - SPD-SL
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Interesting. For those of you who use SPDs and road pedals do you notice a big difference when moving between the two? I guess difference in shoes may account for some difference in feel as road shoes tend to be lighter and stiffer than mtb shoes. I suspect I'm only thinking about road pedals/shoes as road shoes were much more tarty and noticeably lighter when we looked at them in CycleSurgery last weekend, even at the £200+ end of the market. However if I just want to look tarty I may get some shoe covers/belgian booties for about a tenner and slap them over my cheapo M076 - much cheaper than a snazzy looking pair of road shoes.
    Yes... the SPD-SL took a little more getting used to, but definitely feel better after 40miles or so... the more rigid sole is more efficient/less tiring, but I wouldnt want to be clipping in and out all the time so much prefer SPD for the commute...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • keyser__soze
    wyadvd, yeah, those are the pedals I got for the new bike. A lot lighter than my A530s and they seem much better made. Not sure if the platform does change anything.
  • keyser__soze
    Ah well, one trip to Putney Cycles and the girlfriend picked up a really nice pair of Specialized BG Expert road shoes. I was wandering round the store and found they had 40% off last season's BG Pro and had a pair in my size, so we both ended up buying. Anyone fancy a pair of virtually unused (60 miles) SPD A600 pedals, and any recommendations for decent road pedals? Thinking Look Keo...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Shoes. Whichever I want and strapless cages.

Using track pedals I get a bite damn near as.solid as clips for circular pedalling.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Specialized Primo shoes and Crank Brothers Candy 3 pedals. I swap 'em between the commuter and the road bike.
    Shoes are really comfy both on and of the bike. I even went shopping with the gf last week and walked on them for hours no problem. Bought them for their understated look for commuting in my civies.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    SPD on the Tricross
    DMR V8-style flats on the new RockHopper
    Quill flats & toe clips/straps on the old utility RockHopper
    SPD-SL on both road bikes
    OEM flats on the Brompton - but considering SPDs
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    SPDs with a proper pedal around the clip on the hybrid commuter - and just added SPDs to the 'new' road bike. Just plain ones this time. Figured it was easier to have the same on each and one decent set of shoes than trying to swap them over etc
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Time Atacs on both bikes
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    I find SPD-SLs easier to clip in and out of then SPDs. Got them on all my bikes except the crosser (eggbeaters)