Anyone into HiFi?

2»

Comments

• bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Linn LP12, Valhalla, RB250, Goldring 1042, Rotel RCD-965BX, Flashback Performance Premiere RCA-DIN, Naim Nait 3, NAC A5, Epos ES11, Isoblue rack in ash

so, yes.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I've got a set of ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures in the sitting room running off the same system too, a QED switchbox means I can run either, both or neither at the same time in separate rooms.

Cables are Kimber 8tc and QED Revelation on the speakers, Nordost on the mains fed into a BT mains conditioner and Nordost Heimdall interconnect.
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    All sounds a bit too smooth and restrained for me..........

Wharfedale 3190's x 4

Mackie M-800 amplifier

Inmotion Ipod dock providing aux in and ipod 30GB 5th gen with all cd's copied at 320kbps

Less fidelity, more "blow your socks off" seeing as the speakers and amplifier are ex nightclub speakers :lol:
  • joelsim
    I may have valves in the CDP but the amp puts out 285W per channel into 4 Ohms. It goes pretty loud, or at least I think it does, my ears won't take any more at about 1/2 way
  • Rotel amp & MS speakers = "you're so close you could kiss the diva" :wink:
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Marantz CD80, Musical fidelity 3A Pre-amp, Lynx Stratos Monos into Monitor Audio R300's.
    Very old system i've had since i was a teen and its still the bees knees
    Nicolai CC
  • bunter wrote:
    Linn LP12, Valhalla, RB250, Goldring 1042, Rotel RCD-965BX, Flashback Performance Premiere RCA-DIN, Naim Nait 3, NAC A5, Epos ES11, Isoblue rack in ash

so, yes.

Kindred spirit, I've got an LP12 with an Akito & Adikt NAC 92 NAP90, CD3 & EPOS ES11
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have a nice Aracam amp under the bed waiting to be repaired after the misses shorted out the speaker wires.

She also blew my previous amp, I think she's trying to tell me something, hence why I haven't got it repaired yet.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Denon AVR 3802
    B&O Bevox S45 + Kenwood KS-8200
    Yahamha SW011 Sub

Setup is mainly for games and films.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Fairly budget set up myself - not total bargain basement, but only a step or 2 up.

Rotel 02 CD and Amp, Tannoy Sensys speakers.

Fairly open and spacious sound and quite hard hitting for the price of the set up, at the expense of a bit of imaging and detail. Does a nice job with hip hop/pop/rock and electronic music - decent job with jazzy stuff if only a small ensemble, not a great performer with orchestral music.... But with a family, it's hard to set up hi-fi optimally anyway, so no real loss....and I enjoy listening to it which is what counts!

It's also used for my home cinema. My yamaha processor drives the central and rear speakers, but the signal to the main speakers is passed through the processor back into my rotel amp, and uses the tannoys. So my system is optimised for music, but does a nice job with home cinema, rather than vice versa - which is my personal preference.
  • joelsim
    It does surprise me when family gets in the way of listening to music. My lads play their own music on the system and we have a chat, play games etc etc. They enjoy it and it's much better than putting them in front of the TV all the time.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I ve just had a fairly radical change on the hifi front, I had a brace of rotel amps bi amping celestion compact a speakers (amp needs repair) so put in a pair of Adam audio active a5's - bloody marvellous they are too.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Joelsim wrote:
    It does surprise me when family gets in the way of listening to music. My lads play their own music on the system and we have a chat, play games etc etc. They enjoy it and it's much better than putting them in front of the TV all the time.

it's not that that family stops the music listening, it's more that the (smallish) living room isn't just a private "listening room" anymore, and everyday considerations like where the sofas and table are gonna go prevents optimal speaker positioning.....
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    my 11 year old daughter likes the Pixies, the White Stripes and Led Zeppelin. Tears came to my eyes when she asked to borrow my Motorhead CD.

My youngest daughter loves the Crayonnettes - children's music written and performed by real musicians - it's great! I particularly like '(Don't Eat That) Sweet on the Floor' and 'Robots in the Rain'.

I don't really have any friends who are into hifi. It is rewarding when you see someone notice the difference my fairly modest system makes to their favourite music.

As far as the sound goes, it doesn't image particularly well and probably isn't the most neutral or detailed.The bass doesn't go particularly low but does stop graciously rather than making slow, boomy noises. Epos ES11 speakers have no crossover on the mid/bass driver which seems to give a very pure midrange. The sound is musical, rhythmic and engaging. It's old but I am very fond of it and listen for hours.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,951
    I wouldn't say I am an audiophile, but I do like some decent kit to listen to my cd's on.

My original seperates setup, is still going strong (Mission speakers used to be the bees knees) but a couple of years ago I went for a Pure Digital radio receiver, a Cambridge Audio pairing of the 640A V2 amp, and the 640C CD player:
    cambridgeduo.jpg
    75WPC, and it's lovely.

The biggest bargain that prompted this new investment, was these puppies at half price, as they were end of line:

Monitor Audio RS8's:
    DSC05051.JPG

They took a while to bed in, having metal cones, but now they just sound wonderful.

I run my humax through it as well,. no need for TV speakers :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    Does this count

5676077749_66775c84b7_z.jpg
    DSC02138 by dancook1982, on Flickr

rest of the set
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/62198876@N ... 498210571/

Denon AVR-2310
    BK Monolith DF+
    Monitor Audio Radius 250, 270 x 2, 90 x 4

I mainly do films and games myself....
  • joelsim
    This is mine, although the DVD player is now in a different room since a house move.

IMGP0751.jpg
  • Specialized Rockhopper Pro
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    I see this is turning into "Anyone into AV?". :wink::D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    a Pic from some time ago when I was seeing if I could turn my old PC into a media PC.

I broke it shortly after this.

img0307y.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joelsim
    MarcBC wrote:
    I see this is turning into "Anyone into AV?". :wink::D

Rather like 'WHF magazine' which has done exactly the same and turned into 'WTF has it got to do with HF magazine'

80% TV/AV nowadays.