Anyone into HiFi?

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
If so, what and why and what sort of sound?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Waves.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joelsim
    Cunning
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    employ someone who does :wink:

:lol:
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • joelsim
    :?:
  • nicklouse
    Joel, Most music through a Squeezebox touch into a couple of Nads and out of a pair of B&W 703 unless it is 12" black discs then the source is a Project experiencRondo red.

the Dac and music dics spinners dont get used now.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    PT-too, Naim & Linn Electronics... Sound is neutral, of course :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • joelsim
    Lossless?
  • joelsim
    Very nice.

I have Unison Research CDE with an upgraded DAC. Leema Tucana 2 and Kudos C2s. I've got an Airport Express too but I haven't connected it up since I moved in November, just use CDs. Better sound than streaming. Miss the radio aspect tho'
  • nicklouse
    Joelsim wrote:
    Lossless?

hell yes. Flac.

unless it is on the iPhone.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Lossless (including HD Tracks) through Beresford DAC, Roksan Kandy amp & speakers.

Sorted. And sweeeeeeeeet.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Damn. Anyone new would think they've accidentally stumbled onto a forum for a weird perverted hobby...erm...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    FLAC into a Squeezebox into a NAD C372 amp, then into a pair of homemade North Creek Okara speakers.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    edited July 2011
    Unbranded MP3 player into plastic PC speakers via freakin' yards of bell wire.

Lossless,clean & smooth. "Oh What an Atmosphere" by Russ Abbot, unreal.
  • joelsim
    Leads me to believe you know more about this lark than you're letting on David essex-commuter
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    My Sony radio/cassette player from over twenty years ago still has the best sound I know. The cassette part died a long time back, but the FM reception and tone is as good as anything around today.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Unbranded MP3 player into plastic PC speakers via freakin' yards of bell wire.

Lossless,clean & smooth. "Oh What an Atmosphere" by Russ Abbot, unreal.

In amongst my eccentric collection of 7 inch singles is a copy of that......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • essex-commuter
    Sketchley wrote:

In amongst my eccentric collection of 7 inch singles is a copy of that......

That's Four Rooms material!
  • welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Currently getting back into it with a Cambridge Audio Amp and CD player 2nd hand and looking at finally buying some B&W speakers.
  • essex-commuter
    welkman wrote:
    buying some B&W speakers.

Things have moved on since then, now available in colour.
  • joelsim
    Very good for mono tho'
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I used to have all the kit - my own hand-crafted valve amp, CD + external DAC, five hundred quid's worth of wireless, superbly detailed speakers - a pair of Italian things made of Walnut perched on some smart stands filled with leadshot. Then what happened? Got married, kids arrived, never an opportunity to enjoy it any more so it all went via Ebay over time, except for the tuner. Still got that in the loft for the day when it can make a reappearance.

I now put up with duff quality through the iPod of either iTunes stuff at min quality, or my own stuff at the highest setting. I'm not so bothered as I was though.

I did win a pair of smart h/phones off the web the other day; currently waiting for them to pitch up to see if they live up to promises of the review.
  • joelsim
    The Toy Story and Monsters Inc soundtracks make regular appearances on mine
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    What counts as "in to HiFi"? I just bought a pioneer home cinema - by connecting to my TV (which a Freeview HD receiver, has iPlayer and an internet radio app and also a DLNA receiver) i can have dolby pro logic II surround sound on standard definition TV, Dolby digital surround sound on HD TV, Decent amp and speakers for the Digital TV delivered radio channels and internet radio stations. Finally I can hear my MP3 collection through decent amp and speakers (from NAS to TV via DLNA, use TV as media controller then output audio to amp over toslink / optical out). Also can stream movies too - slight limitations via DLNA, such the TV will not pass thru dolby digital so have to use Pro Logic II to get surround., and fast forward / rewind doesn't work.

I'm pleased with the set up, fairly simple with 3 devices. But I'm sure real audiophiles would shudder at 320kbps MP3s, internet radio streams and radio over Digital TV. I've learned a lot about the different technologies in the process too!
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    My old Technics amp is poorly :cry: Can only get one set of speakers working. Not sure whether to have it repaired or replace it. Can't really afford to replace at the moment so am musicless apart from tinny DAB radio.
    Does anyone repair hi-fi anymore? Does anyone even look at it? It would be a shame to bin it as the sound is excellent.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    The original Audiolab kit: CD, DAC, Pre and lots of Power Amps running Wilson Benesch Orator speakers. Van den Hul cables and interconnects, upgraded power cables.

I bought is all from new four billion years ago and I still get a semi when I listen to it. Whilst i am not up to date on the kit available in the last five years or so, I have not found a sound that suits my ears so well for opera / classical and small jazz / vocal combos. Crap at rock and dance, however!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    MarcBC wrote:
    The original Audiolab kit: CD, DAC, Pre and lots of Power Amps running Wilson Benesch Orator speakers. Van den Hul cables and interconnects, upgraded power cables.

Holy cow. Works of art.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Small Fish
    Small Fish Posts: 84
    Cambridge Dacmagic and Aktimate Epoz active speakers - music stored in a mixture of formats on an iMac and played through my new discovery, Fidelia audio player - well worth checking if you are a mac user looking for something that sounds better than iTunes.
  • I've got Sonos systems in the house and a home cinema amp in the lounge. In another room I've got an amp with all the original players - tape, cd, md, phono but it doesn't have any speakers so only gets used on the line in of the Sonos. All of my music is running off a synology NAS in lossless format. I've got lots of tape and vinyl but to be honest only really get around to playing the digitised music. I've tried to digitise but just don't get the time so buy up the CD's to rip for the vinyl when I see them cheap.

Unfortunately all my kit (except for the sonos boxes) is getting on a bit and now there are kids there is not much money to replace it before it dies. I'm also hoping it all lives long enough to get past the sticky fingers all over it from children so I can buy good kit when it is time.
  • nicklouse
    I am very impressed with the restraint show in this thread. there have not been any Pictures.

Yet,

Joel there was also NapD (banned for losing it) is very big in his HiFi but he can be found elsewhere.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    My old Technics amp is poorly :cry: Can only get one set of speakers working. Not sure whether to have it repaired or replace it. Can't really afford to replace at the moment so am musicless apart from tinny DAB radio.
    Does anyone repair hi-fi anymore? Does anyone even look at it? It would be a shame to bin it as the sound is excellent.

It's probably just the volume pot. Get a tin of contact cleaner from Maplin, take the lid off, and douse the pot with plenty of cleaner whilst working it through its range.

EDIT: I am well outside what most of you lot are playing with, but for the record the best bits are:

Thorens TD150 (picked up for £10 from a Bristol record shop - it doesn't get much more bargainacious than that!)
    Cheap but extremely cheerful Project 1 amp
    Marantz PM57 integrated amp (pretty budget but sounds good)
    Celestion Ditton 33 loudspeakers (crossovers in need of some TLC but drivers are surprisingly still in good nick)

I have reservations about spending big money unless you can really control the listening environment, but I'd love a pair of electrostatics one day...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}