The end of The News of the World!

Bozman
Bozman Posts: 2,518
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Good riddance to the paper but spare a thought for the innocent workers.

Comments

• Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    edited July 2011
    A good investigative journalist would have already found this topic on the Phone hackers/hacking thread. Or on Rick Chasey's phone messages. :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Are they doing it, hoping the scandal will go away? Maybe they don't want anyone to dig deeper?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    As I said on the other thread ( or you heard on my voicemail), it appears to be more of a name change rather than dumping the whole lot...

From the rumours on twitter anyway, which is not the most reliable source. They said Obama was shot the other day.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    As I said on the other thread ( or you heard on my voicemail), it appears to be more of a name change rather than dumping the whole lot...

From the rumours on twitter anyway, which is not the most reliable source. They said Obama was shot the other day.

That was the Twitter account of Fox News, which got hacked by some group called Script Kiddies or something.

But yeah... Sunday 10: Last NOTW... Sunday 17th: First "Sun on Sunday" or something similar.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    afx237vi wrote:

That was the Twitter account of Fox News, which got hacked by some group called Script Kiddies or something.

But yeah... Sunday 10: Last NOTW... Sunday 17th: First "Sun on Sunday" or something similar.

Can you think of anything more dispiriting? The Sun 7 days a week.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    Cutting off a gangrenous limb to save the rest of the body.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    afx237vi wrote:

Can you think of anything more dispiriting? The Sun 7 days a week.

It's a clever move that will put an end to their dodgy reputation. :roll: It seems half pointless.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,631
    thesunonsunday.co.uk and thesunonsunday.com were both registered on the 5th of july, so its a done deal. Crafty buggers.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I actualy think it's a bit sad. The newspaper is one of the oldest in the UK and i'll be sad to see it go. I think the anger and recrimations should really be directed at the upper management of News International rather than the current staff off the paper, the majority of whom will have known nothing of the phone hackings and will now lose their jobs as a result.

I get the feeling that the paper is being offered up as a sacrificial lamb to deflect attention from NI manangement.

And no, I don't work for them :D
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    Mattsaw wrote:
    I actualy think it's a bit sad. The newspaper is one of the oldest in the UK and i'll be sad to see it go. I think the anger and recrimations should really be directed at the upper management of News International rather than the current staff off the paper, the majority of whom will have known nothing of the phone hackings and will now lose their jobs as a result.

I get the feeling that the paper is being offered up as a sacrificial lamb to deflect attention from NI manangement.

...Anymore :wink:
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    If anyones ever seen David Hare/Howard Brenton play Pravda, this really is like life imitating art.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Mattsaw wrote:

There may be some innocent bystanders in this but how many of them could actually look or read at what they've produced and go home feeling proud about it? If the end result of any part of my employement was that rag I'd be bloody ashamed...and this is long before any phone hacking scandals broke.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    The sad thing about the Sun is it has some decent sports writers, Steve Howard for example, but hey ho its the front is a rag or bog roll for sure....
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Mattsaw wrote:

I'm sorry for the non-editorial staff, but I'm not sorry to see the poisonous rag itself go, no matter how long it's been festering for. I know its replacement will be no less unpleasant – the same in all but name – but I suppose there's a wider discussion about the public hunger for these sorts of corrosive publications. After all, it's only the sunday version of a wretched paper that's sold every other day of the week.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    balthazar wrote:
    I'm sorry for the non-editorial staff, but I'm not sorry to see the poisonous rag itself go, no matter how long it's been festering for. I know its replacement will be no less unpleasant – the same in all but name – but I suppose there's a wider discussion about the public hunger for these sorts of corrosive publications. After all, it's only the sunday version of a wretched paper that's sold every other day of the week.

+ lots
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    Does anyone think that the journalists at other papers are not employing the same sort of methods to get stories ????
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Does anyone think that the journalists at other papers are not employing the same sort of methods to get stories ????
    This is one thing that gets me about the whole story. I should first say that I am no fan of NI, the NoW and the Sun are squalid rags, and the whole hacking saga shows mind-boggling cycnicism bordering on depravity - but hang on a minute, who is it that's milking the story for all it's worth? Might it possibly be the competition?
    Has it not occurred to anyone that the rest of the media might have a vested interest a) in knocking easily the most succesfull newspapers in the country, and b) in making sure that everyone knows that phone hacking is something that's only done by those uniquely disgusitng people who work for Murdoch?
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    bompington wrote:
    Has it not occurred to anyone that the rest of the media might have a vested interest a) in knocking easily the most succesfull newspapers in the country, and b) in making sure that everyone knows that phone hacking is something that's only done by those uniquely disgusitng people who work for Murdoch?

Of course they are. Good luck to them. In fact, if the Sun, the Mail, and the Telegraph could all beat each other to death in a bloodbath of hypocrisy, that'd be fine too.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    balthazar wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Of course they are. Good luck to them. In fact, if the Sun, the Mail, and the Telegraph could all beat each other to death in a bloodbath of hypocrisy, that'd be fine too.
    But of course, the papers that you like employ journalists with different DNA?
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    scwxx77 wrote:

Or, cutting of a scarred but repaired limb to save a scabrous, oozing red head.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    MichaelW wrote:
    scwxx77 wrote:

By the way things are progressing I really have to wonder - just what hold over them does she have?

She can't be that indespensable.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:
    scwxx77 wrote:

By the way things are progressing I really have to wonder - just what hold over them does she have?

Taking all the heat so the Murdoch's won't have to.

She's offered to resign twice this week.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

You're the only person in the world that I've heard say that, care to substantiate it?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Aggieboy
    daviesee wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:
    scwxx77 wrote:

She's a woman and ginger, hard to get rid of.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    News International has yet to comment on speculation that the Sun newspaper may extend its circulation to Sundays, following the News of the World’s closure, although the media organisation has said that female focused supplement Fabulous will continue to run as part of the Sun.

“Sun on Sunday” was trademarked earlier this week, alongisde the domain names thesunonsunday.com and thesunonsunday.co.uk, registered by web design company Mediaspring. Both registrations are reported to be linked to News International.

So basically, the news of the World is being rebranded as 'Sun on sunday'......... what a suprise !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rick_chasey

You're the only person in the world that I've heard say that, care to substantiate it?

Reported elsewhere, but:
    Cameron Friday said there were media reports that Brooks had offered to resign and said he would have accepted her resignation, however he said it was not his position to decide who runs companies.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-201 ... 03756.html

Last night, there were claims that Ms Brooks had offered to resign from her position as chief executive of News International on Wednesday.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... -1.1111004

and, where I originally read it, yesterday:
    @6.52: Rebekah Brooks "offered her resignation twice", but it was turned down both times, News of the World staff were reportedly told today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/20 ... e-coverage
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Cameron in his astonishing press conference ("second chance for Coulson"; "he resigned all over again" - repeat until audience sickened) said he had heard reports of Brookes's offered resignation and said he would have accepted it.

Fool. Doesn't he know Murdoch runs the country and Cameron's not authorised to sh*t without permission let alone accept resignations.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • Aggieboy

I've got her phone messages if you want to listen?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,631
    [/quote]

I've got her phone messages if you want to listen?[/quote]

Brilliant, i'm nicking that for another forum i'm on with this thread and i'm going to claim the credit!:-)
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי