Saris Bones 2 Bike Boot Rack

2»

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    efunc wrote:
    Hello mate, sorry to bump this thread again. I've got a Saris Bones 2 now, and I know it's supposed to fit the Mk4 Golf however I can't seem to get the lower hooks to slip in under the boot lid. How did you manage it? The gap between the bottom of the boot lid and the bumper is tiny, and hardly enough to slip in a completely flat piece of metal; however this is a tightly bent hook, so it needs to be 'scooped' under the closed boot lid, which will seriously scuff the bumper underneath if attempted. The other option is to fit it with the lid open, but then there wouldn't be enough tension on the straps to keep the hooks in place, and they'd give the bumper a massive scrape when the boot is then slammed shut.

However, the main problem isn't even any of the above - it's the fact that the mk4 boot lid its about an inch thick at the bottom, so how are you securing this tiny hook around it? cheers!

Hook it under the bumper. It's not ideal, but won't cause any issues.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,390
    We use a Bones 3 on both a Nissan Juke and a Volvo V40, and attach to the bumper - never had any problems in the 2 years we've had it.

I always put it in the car when out riding - can't trust the great unwashed! :?
  • efunc
    efunc Posts: 42
    under the bumper is an interesting idea, but not really that secure compared to the bootid, because it's just plastic. Also I have a VW Sports valance on the back so it'll be pretty low on the ground. I'm thinking of feeding the lower straps into the boot and leaving them in there. I could either attach something to then ends to prevent them pulling out, or Halfords actually have a strap that does this, with two plastic 'dun bells' on the ends. It's actually designed for the top straps, if you have a glass bootlid, but I'm sure you could use it on the bottom too. Anyone tried these?
  • I had a Saris for years and would agree they are rock solid.

The only downside to them is that after enough use, no matter how acreful you are, they do eventually leave marks on your paintwork (in my experience anyway).

Mine was a BMW 3 Series and it was the rear bumper upper surface and the boot lid that eventually got scuffed.
  • MattC59
    efunc wrote:
    under the bumper is an interesting idea, but not really that secure compared to the bootid, because it's just plastic. Also I have a VW Sports valance on the back so it'll be pretty low on the ground. I'm thinking of feeding the lower straps into the boot and leaving them in there. I could either attach something to then ends to prevent them pulling out, or Halfords actually have a strap that does this, with two plastic 'dun bells' on the ends. It's actually designed for the top straps, if you have a glass bootlid, but I'm sure you could use it on the bottom too. Anyone tried these?

The bottom straps aren't there for , in fact I've driven home to find that I've forgotten to attach the bottom straps and had no movement at all :oops: . The top straps, side straps and the weight of bikes will hold it in place, just make sure that once the bikes are loaded, you retension the straps to take up any slack.

Unless you're planning on braking so hard that everything is going to shoot over the roof and rip your bumper off, or are plannign on hitting speed bumps at considerable speed, you'll have no probs. The bottom straps provide added security, they don't actually support the rack in any way.
  • MattC59
    I had a Saris for years and would agree they are rock solid.

The only downside to them is that after enough use, no matter how acreful you are, they do eventually leave marks on your paintwork (in my experience anyway).

Mine was a BMW 3 Series and it was the rear bumper upper surface and the boot lid that eventually got scuffed.

That's down to dirt on the pain or feet. Assuming that you've got your straps tight, a yellow duster between the feet and the paint solves this problem :D
  • efunc
    MattC59 wrote:
    The bottom straps aren't there for , in fact I've driven home to find that I've forgotten to attach the bottom straps and had no movement at all :oops: . The top straps, side straps and the weight of bikes will hold it in place, just make sure that once the bikes are loaded, you retension the straps to take up any slack.

Unless you're planning on braking so hard that everything is going to shoot over the roof and rip your bumper off, or are plannign on hitting speed bumps at considerable speed, you'll have no probs. The bottom straps provide added security, they don't actually support the rack in any way.
    Yeah Matt, I think you're probably right about that. It's the bumper legs that primarily support it. In which case I may just try and strap the bottom straps to my bumper valance bottom first, if they'll reach. I'm sure that'll be fine for short journeys across town. It's motorway jaunts I'm worried about. It's times like this I really wish I didn't have such a tricked-out car!
  • alpineaddict
    alpineaddict Posts: 247
    Hi mate

My straps do slot under ok, however, I do sometimes 'pop the boot' to slot the clips under and then slam it shut... Then tighten it all up whilst pushing the clips tight to the boot...

Unfortunately it will leave 'tiny' marks eventually but my bumper is already scratched up from my dog jumping in and out....

On the whole though, the clips do fit under... You just need to be a bit forceful...

If you were unsure about the whole weight thing, I actually drove about 10 miles with my boot not shut and 2 bikes on... Safe as houses... :D

HTH mate...
  • efunc
    That's reassuring, thanks. If you don't mind I'll might try and take some pics over the weekend and maybe you can tell me where I'm going wrong. Cheers!
  • alpineaddict
    alpineaddict Posts: 247
    Go for your life... :) I will PM you my email address...
  • Gamblor
    Gamblor Posts: 84
    Sorry to bump a 2 and half year old thread, but better than making a new one I rekon.

Anyway, just got this rack today and with 1 bike its fine, but 2 means I've got a gap between the top arm and the rear window. I took the bikes off, tightened as far as I could and went again, but I've still got a slight gap.

Apart from the slightly annoying 'thud' on the window every now and then (which I managed to fix with a folded up rubber mat), is it cause for concern at all?

Cars a 5door 2009 Corsa for what its worth.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I would not want to drive it around if it's moving... If it can move enough then you run the risk of one of the hooks popping out I would have thought.

Mine braces up nicely, so maybe there's something wrong?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}