Saris Bones 2 Bike Boot Rack

alpineaddict
alpineaddict Posts: 247
edited January 2015 in Road beginners
Hi folks

Any advice on this bike rack much appreciated... Or on any other bike racks. Have a VW golf with small spoiler on the top.

Are these good for long distance motorway driving?

Many thx

Scott

Comments

• Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I've got the three bike version and use it on my Golf Gti (spoiler at top of hatch). Once on, it's rock solid and I've used it to transport my bike on long motorway journeys. I'd be happy to use it for two bikes, preferably low weight (carbon) ones, but not three.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got a Saris Bones 3 rack and it's great. It's absolutely rock solid when mounted and I've regularly carried three MTBs on it, on long motorway journeys, and on winding roads (where cornering puts higher side loading on it) with no problems at all.

The design allows you to have three bikes on there, all of which are held firmly and apart. Don't let the fact that it's made from plastic put you off, it's engineering plastic and the rack carries a lifetime guarantee. It's pretty much bomb proof. It packs down nice and small when you need to store it as well.

Highly recommended by me, and there's a review in the summer edition of Cycling Plus as well.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    +1 on the Saris bones.

However have a Bones RS (with lockable steel straps) on a Golf without a spoiler. As mentioned ... rock solid
  • alpineaddict
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    I've got the three bike version and use it on my Golf Gti (spoiler at top of hatch). Once on, it's rock solid and I've used it to transport my bike on long motorway journeys. I'd be happy to use it for two bikes, preferably low weight (carbon) ones, but not three.

Thx for this. The reason for posting was that I had heard these can be not that great when driving at speed... Do the bikes lock fast and hold firm then, even if driving at a '70' speed limit on the motorway?

Thx again
  • MattC59
    Peddle Up! wrote:

Thx for this. The reason for posting was that I had heard these can be not that great when driving at speed... Do the bikes lock fast and hold firm then, even if driving at a '70' speed limit on the motorway?

Thx again

The Bones is absolutely rock solid when driving at speed. There are six straps and large solid rubber feet to mount the unit. As mentioned, I've regularly driven from Reading to Afan on the motorway (about 2hrs) at 80mph+ with three MTBs on the back, with absolutely no problem, and no movement from the rack or the bikes mounted. The Saris webs site states that the Bones 3 will carry three bikes, at 35lbs per bike, I'm guessing that a total of 105 lbs is more than enough if you want to carry road bikes :D The cradles that the bikes sit in are wide and deep, with large rachet closing straps to hold the bikes in place, so there's no chance of a bike coming lose.

I don't know why you may have heard that they're not good at speed, the only reason that they might not be is if the rack hasn't been attached to the car properly. (And you'd have to be a complete muppet to f*ck that up !!!)

Seriously, the Bones is probably the best boot mounted rack that you can buy. It's designed to do the job and does it extremely well !!!
  • Peddle Up!
    ^^^
    +1 Wot he said :)

Furthermore, the rack can be configured to fit just about anything. The only tiny tiny moan is that the front wheel of the bike can rock so I secure it with the free ends of the securing straps.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    ^^^
    +1 Wot he said :)

Furthermore, the rack can be configured to fit just about anything. The only tiny tiny moan is that the front wheel of the bike can rock so I secure it with the free ends of the securing straps.

Very good and agree with all of the +ve comments. Only other thing is that it attached from the outside so can be removed without opening the car. Not too much of a security issue in that straps could be cut anyway but you may want to remove when left unattended
  • MattC59
    Bike Radar review.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/car-racks/product/review-saris-cycling-group-bones-car-rack11-34278
    I haven't found the comment about the straps to be an issue at all.
  • My father has the Saris Bones 3 and raves about it.
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • Peddle Up!
    My father has the Saris Bones 3 and raves about it.

Son!

{Joke} :roll:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm thinking of getting one of these for my Corsa. I asume if it fits something like a Golf it would fit my Corsa OK.
  • Does anyone have this on a car whith a steeply raked or mainly glass rear?
    I've been looking at one for a Honda CR-Z - hard to find anyone who's tried one on anything similar
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    My father has the Saris Bones 3 and raves about it.

Son!

{Joke} :roll:

Lol.

Also should add he got it from merlin for :£108 With VIP discount.

My dad uses his on his Toyota yaris so a corsa should be fine.
    Allez 16 - bad weather / turbo trainer
    Tarmac Expert SL3 - test colours
    Dogma 2 - ex Team Sky
  • alpineaddict
    Ok folks, thx for the advice on this... I have now bought it, got it home and have 2 hopefully simple questions...

1) For those that have one of these, the straps are very long. What have you done with the excess strap?
    2) Like I mentioned I have a VW Golf. The issue I am having is getting the lower hook to attach under the boot door, without opening it, attaching it, and then trying to slam shut... Am I doing something wrong.

When I try to shut the boot door, the straps just dont secure :x

Thx in advance

PS... Love the rack though, apart from this small hitch, tres easy to set up. Thx[/list][/list]
  • Peddle Up!
    2) Like I mentioned I have a VW Golf. The issue I am having is getting the lower hook to attach under the boot door, without opening it, attaching it, and then trying to slam shut... Am I doing something wrong.

Lower straps hook under the bumper.
  • alpineaddict
    Ah ok... that'll be where I have been going wrong... Just checking the instructions though, and they def show and 'state' that the lower straps should attach to the bottom edge of the trunk...

I'll give the bumper thing a go.. Cheers
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Try this re fitting.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    lower straps definitly go on the bottom of the tailgate...NOT the bumper, just take up the slack with the boot slightly open :wink:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • alpineaddict
    Thx all... :D
  • suzyb
    Bumping to ask...

Does anyone find they need a lightboard or does the Bones hold the bikes high enough not to need one.
  • alpineaddict
    Used mine at the weekend and found that the bike wheels partially covered the lights, but not enough IMO to need a lightboard, You can always raise the hanging position up...

This is on a hatchback mind...
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    hi,
    would i need a lightboard with a renault scenic?
    ta
  • suzyb
    Bones arrived today so did a test fit to the car and a short (to the end of the road) drive. Bit concerned that the top foot was coming away from the rear window but I maybe just need to try and tighten the straps a bit more.

Also found the wheels covered the lights a bit but not sure it would be enough to require a lightboard.
  • MattC59
    suzyb wrote:
    Bones arrived today so did a test fit to the car and a short (to the end of the road) drive. Bit concerned that the top foot was coming away from the rear window but I maybe just need to try and tighten the straps a bit more.

Also found the wheels covered the lights a bit but not sure it would be enough to require a lightboard.

Definitely need to tighten those straps !!!
  • suzyb
    MattC59 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

Definitely need to tighten those straps !!!
    I had tightened them. But I'll need to tighten them then tighten them again and then tighten them again and tie off the straps to make sure me thinks.
  • efunc
    efunc Posts: 42
    Ok folks, thx for the advice on this... I have now bought it, got it home and have 2 hopefully simple questions...

1) For those that have one of these, the straps are very long. What have you done with the excess strap?

Thx in advance

PS... Love the rack though, apart from this small hitch, tres easy to set up. Thx[/list][/list]
    Hi, sorry to drag up an old post, but I'm just wondering, a year down the line, how did you fair with your setup? I've got a Mk4 Golf Anniversary, so have the same issue with the rear spoiler. It protrudes out and isn't designed to be subjected to any pressure, let alone carry the weight of two bikes. Have you found that it pretty safe and am I being overly paranoid?

Thanks!
  • alpineaddict
    Hi, sorry to drag up an old post, but I'm just wondering, a year down the line, how did you fair with your setup? I've got a Mk4 Golf Anniversary, so have the same issue with the rear spoiler. It protrudes out and isn't designed to be subjected to any pressure, let alone carry the weight of two bikes. Have you found that it pretty safe and am I being overly paranoid?

Thanks!

Hi mate

I have used the rack quite a bit now and the spoiler has been fine... I have really cranked down on the straps to keep it tight and so far I have not had to pull over to collect said spoiler, rack and bikes form the side of the road :D

The rack is great and I love the fact that it is so easy to put on the car... 5 mins tops... Still not trusting enough of the UK public to leave it on whilst out riding, so the quick assembly is very handy...

PS. I regularly carry 2 bikes on it as well...

All the best and hope this helps...
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Has anyone tried this rack on a Ford Focus? any use?

Or has anyone any experience with the Gran Fondo, I really like the look of it (no frame contact) but as yet to come across anyone who ahad used it. (maybe a cost issue it is expensive)

Thanks
  • efunc
    Hi mate

I have used the rack quite a bit now and the spoiler has been fine... I have really cranked down on the straps to keep it tight and so far I have not had to pull over to collect said spoiler, rack and bikes form the side of the road :D

The rack is great and I love the fact that it is so easy to put on the car... 5 mins tops... Still not trusting enough of the UK public to leave it on whilst out riding, so the quick assembly is very handy...

PS. I regularly carry 2 bikes on it as well...

All the best and hope this helps...
    Brilliant, that's great to hear! Right, I'm off to buy one now, it looks like just the job for me. Thanks for your help :)
  • efunc
    Hello mate, sorry to bump this thread again. I've got a Saris Bones 2 now, and I know it's supposed to fit the Mk4 Golf however I can't seem to get the lower hooks to slip in under the boot lid. How did you manage it? The gap between the bottom of the boot lid and the bumper is tiny, and hardly enough to slip in a completely flat piece of metal; however this is a tightly bent hook, so it needs to be 'scooped' under the closed boot lid, which will seriously scuff the bumper underneath if attempted. The other option is to fit it with the lid open, but then there wouldn't be enough tension on the straps to keep the hooks in place, and they'd give the bumper a massive scrape when the boot is then slammed shut.

However, the main problem isn't even any of the above - it's the fact that the mk4 boot lid its about an inch thick at the bottom, so how are you securing this tiny hook around it? cheers!