Phone hacking/hackers

13»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Murdoch has now closed down the paper. Last edition on Sunday.

Ah beat me to it.

"Shut it down! Shut it down now!"

The power of your job has gone to your head.

Indeed.

Apparently it will be replaced, so it's more of a name change than shutting down the paper.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Yeah!!!!

The old man Murdoch really wants control of BSKYB. The NOFTW is small fry compared to this but the damage this scandal could cause his empire could be considerable. Apparently shares in News Corp down 3.5% on the NY stock exchange at lunchtime.

Great that NOTW hacks have lost their jobs but a pity Brookes has not yet been sacked as CEO of News International although this might be inevitable in the course of time. The thought of Murdoch becoming Team GB's boss is something to worry about .................
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    So who's buying a copy of the final edition as a souvenir then? :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,578
    So unfortunately it is all the innocent backroom staff that will lose their jobs due to the underhand and illegal actions of senior staff.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    So unfortunately it is all the innocent backroom staff that will lose their jobs due to the underhand and illegal actions of senior staff.

Nuh uh.

The sun on Sunday?

www.thesunonsunday.co.uk was apparently registered two days ago.

Edit: from http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/20 ... e-coverage
    The company who have registered sunonsunday.co.uk "look small", according to a colleague. However Chris Moran also points out that the News of the World also has the sunday.co.uk domain name. At the moment it redirects to newsoftheworld.co.uk, but potentially provides scope for a differently titled Sunday newspaper.
  • rick_chasey
    dilemna wrote:
    Yeah!!!!

The old man Murdoch really wants control of BSKYB. The NOFTW is small fry compared to this but the damage this scandal could cause his empire could be considerable. Apparently shares in News Corp down 3.5% on the NY stock exchange at lunchtime.

Because lawyers have to review all the submissions about the takeover, which is now around the 100,000 mark, they'll have to wait weeks before they get through them all...

Presumably by that stage, there will be enough pressure on the gov't (rather than just from the minority liberal left) to stop the deal that Cameron will, as he's getting used to, U-turn on it.

It's tricky for Cameron, since he's got a lot of mates that win the tories a lot of support in news international.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I would really like to see the whole can of worms opened up and thouroughly investigated. News international, the police, M.Ps the whole rotten barrell.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    In the light of recent events at NOTW and news international and the implication MPs may be influenced due to the fact their parties are supported by the organisation is it not time for political campaigns to be capped and funded by the state?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I would really like to see the whole can of worms opened up and thouroughly investigated. News international, the police, M.Ps the whole rotten barrell.
    +1

The cynic in me expects that the rot goes further than just the NotW and it's demise is an amuptation to stop investigations leading elsewhere in an, 'Oops, all the paperwork must have got lost in the changeover. How sad.' kind of way.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I almost feel like I should celebrate with a meal out.

I might take mye family down the Beefeater on sat night. Have steak and chips. Wiv onion rings. :D

[/i]Feels all giddy
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    dmclite wrote:
    I almost feel like I should celebrate with a meal out.

I might take mye family down the Beefeater on sat night. Have steak and chips. Wiv onion rings. :D

[/i]Feels all giddy

There was going to be 2for1 vouchers in the News of the World next week. Some whacker has gone and ruined that. :roll:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."