Attacked by a Big Bird

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited April 2012 in The bottom bracket
Pedalling along minding my own business on Sunday and I pass a large bird of prey (not sure what exactly) sitting on fence at side of country road. About 30 seconds later feel a huge thump on my helmet - thinking its a big branch of a tree falling down. Only to look round and see this massive bird at full wingspan coming in for a second sweep. Must think the blue/silver/grey of a Met helmet is a tasty morsal - quite a strange experience - but told it happens all the time in NZ and you need to paint eyes on the top of your helmet!!!!!!!!!! Be warned!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I've got an eye on the top of my helmet.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I used to get attcked by magpies in Melbourne - they are very territorialI and just peck at you through your helmet. I have heard the theories about painting eyes on the helmet but never tried it. . No idea what the bird of prey might have been.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Was this it? Always scared the sh1t out of me.

300px-BigBirdRollerSkating.png
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    I've got an eye on the top of my helmet.

don't all men? :wink::lol:
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    We were out in Vietnam once doing a 6 month dive thing to do with old stuff you find in that area.

We thought that we would get into the local tradition thing of painting eyes on your boat to watch out for bad stuff and things for us which meant that the local sea monsters wouldn't eat us. So eyes were dutifully painted on the pointy end, and well happy we were with our handiwork.

And the last thing I saw as the boat slowly sunk away to Davey Jones': the eyes……….

Oh how we giggled that night ……..

The moral of the story: painted eyes don't do a lot. if you don't want to get attacked by biords, carry a pick axe handle. Or a gun. In my case, get a boat that isn't leaky.
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    Buzzard - they've got previous! There was one in Devon a couple of years ago who made one bit of road virtually impassable for cyclists.
  • RideOnTime
    I have had a look at some Buzzard images being careful not to look for big birds and yes it may well have been a Buzzard.. quite likley in fact.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Graculus wrote:
    Buzzard - they've got previous! There was one in Devon a couple of years ago who made one bit of road virtually impassable for cyclists.

I seem to remember a tale (probably from the C+ forum) of a particular bird in a specific spot somewhere in the UK that had a fair bit of form for attacking cyclists. I think there was a sportive/charity ride that had to be rerouted to avoid crossing the bird's turf!
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    I think this is the story I was thinking of. I'm sure there are others too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6688087.stm

That thing could have your eye out!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought this was about Adele............oh well. :?
  • RideOnTime
    Being attacked by Adele at full wingspan could indeed be deadly.

Investigating around this issue it is clear that Buzzards are a problem. Through various conservation measures their numbers are increasing. They are strongly terrortorial, protect their nests etc and can stay on the same patch for years. 8)
  • Graculus wrote:
    I think this is the story I was thinking of. I'm sure there are others too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/6688087.stm

That thing could have your eye out!

When I read this quote on your link I had to check that it wasn't published on April 1st
    Tom Screech from the Screech Owl Sanctuary said
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Not been attacked by one but was nearly the victim of a bungled take off attempt.

Last year while cycling along Penarth Road in Cardiff, a young (but large) seagull had some difficulty getting airborne and flew straight at me at low level. I ducked (excuse the pun) but got a glancing blow on my head.

I was surprised at the weight of the impact, I'm sure I'd have come off it was a proper head on collision.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I regularly pass close by Buzzards on my routes and they never bother me. Had one trying to cart off a rabbit that was too heavy for it cross my path but that was the only time they've ever caused me concern. They aren't that big but do have a pretty big wingspan. They'll happily eat worms and carrion if there aren't any small rabbits about so I'm surprised that one chose to have a pop at you.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    philthy3 wrote:
    I'm surprised that one chose to have a pop at you.

Maybe they get a bit feisty towards people getting near to their nest or heading towards it.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    The seaguls in Helsinki are somewhat brave. One tried to steal my ice-cream today and it almost took my hand off.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Don't know where you live but could it have been a Red Kite as you mention a huge wingspan? Theirs is 2 metres. I regularly see lots of them on my rides.

IMG_1711.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Don't know where you live but could it have been a Red Kite as you mention a huge wingspan? Theirs is 2 metres. I regularly see lots of them on my rides.

IMG_1711.jpg

Most awesome birds, have quite a few around here. When I see one circling over the garden I'm always tempted to make sure the dogs are in.

Yet they are carrion eaters, (my dogs and Kites :oops: )

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Aggieboy wrote:

IMG_1711.jpg
    Beautiful birds !! There's a pair which I see regularly over the fields and woods near my house. Big bu66ers though :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • RideOnTime
    I learn eyes on the helmet does work. :)
  • DIESELDOG wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

IMG_1711.jpg

Most awesome birds, have quite a few around here. When I see one circling over the garden I'm always tempted to make sure the dogs are in.

Yet they are carrion eaters, (my dogs and Kites :oops: )

Love n hugs

DD

My girlfriend (who's a vet) did the releasing-back-to-the-wild of some of these in the North East. You know who to blame if you get swooped on in those parts!
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    ^^ Had the fright of my life on Saturday, just joining the A43 off the 47 towards Corby, saw a dead pigeon in the road and so did a Kite, never in my life have I seen one so damn close, he swooped down for lunch, I did a WTF and ducked. (Like thats going to be of any help when I'm driving :oops: ), totally beautiful.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • RideOnTime
    I seen this flippin bird again...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I used to have a favourite half day walk in North Northants near Kings Cliffe - going back about 10-15 years - there were lots of Red Kites round there - most impressive - until I found out they were carrion eaters I was a bit worried they might think my dog was lunch.

Bit of a scandal that so much poisoning of raptors still goes on in the UK - many birds of prey should be much more widespread than they are - the landowners really need to be made accountable for the actions of their employees.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Homer J wrote:
    Was this it? Always scared the sh1t out of me.

300px-BigBirdRollerSkating.png

More likely to be this:

rodhull.jpg

Can't fly so it must have jumped. Much more aggressive but rarely seen these days. :(
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    RideOnTime wrote:
    I seen this flippin bird again...

Maybe it's upset with your poor verb conjugation?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • aaaah big birds - she could conjugate me any day

bigwoman.jpg
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • RideOnTime
    aaaah big birds - she could conjugate me any day

bigwoman.jpg

I recognise her...
  • RideOnTime

shamelessly borrowed...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    That Miranda Hart, she's finished hassling ex tennis players and has now turned her attention on cyclists!