David Haye and the little toe

2»

Comments

• gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    He was a breath of fresh air for the stale heavyweight division, but all hot air in the end, shame really
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I didn't see the fight. I do wonder though how many people paid the £15 to watch it and came out of it saying "never again"?

It is fine complaining that your broken toe hindered your performance, but had people known about it in advance I bet a lot wouldn't have parted with the cash.

PPV has never really taken off in the UK. Recently we had the Amir Khan fight being dropped from PPV and now this has to be another blow for those who want it to work.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I didn't think it was that bad! Haye was soundly beaten, but acquitted himself well as a heavyweight, took some big shots and never really looked in danger. He needed to be a lot less cautious I think, and maybe the toe thing did hinder him getting his shots off (he couldn't really have pulled out with a little toe injury, but he should have kept his mouth shut in the post fight interview). I reckon a rematch could be fairly close, don't see too many other fights out there for the Klits as they won't fight each other.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I watched the fight and I was not impressed.

The undercard fights were awful. Two tiny chaps tickling each other and two no names (only one of whom knew how to throw a punch). The second fight lasted about 160 seconds.

DH tried to out-mind-game WK by not coming out of his dressing room on time. Then saying he was coming out and not. He eventually came out after the broadcaster had shot their bolt with annoying English stereotypes (black cabs, phone boxes etc). Then Wlad came out to German stereotypes (he's Ukranian?!) and the American boxing presenter went through the normal stuff e.g. "David 'HaaayyyyeeeMaaakkkeeerrrr' Haye, fighting out of the Smack Them In The Head Gym..."etc but, because RTL was the host broadcaster, it was all then translated into german.

The fight was OK. Nothing much to complain about other than the strange scoring. I would say Haye, at worst, drew the third round, but all of the rounds were scored 10-9 to Big Bad Wlad. It was almost as if the bloke doing the (unofficial) scoring forgot what his job was and just said 10-9 to Klitchko in all rounds.

PPV has killed boxing in the UK. Boxing used to be on general TV and most (if not most, then many) people had at least a passing interest.
    Then it went to Sky and only those willing to pay for sport (a minority of the population) could see it.
    Then it went to PPV and only those willing to pay for the event (a minority of the minority) could see it.
    This seems to have coincided with a decline in the standard of boxing at the same time as the amount you have to pay to see it has increased. I forsee a time in the future where only the super rich e.g. dictators and football club owners, can afford to watch Bumfights.

Edit: Haye did OK considering that he was giving away 2 stone and 3 inches of reach. If he does get a rematch, he should have Tyson or his trainer in his camp to teach him how to beat a bigger foe.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!