David Haye and the little toe

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Was seriously looking forward to this.

Personally I don't think there has been a really exciting Heavyweight match since Lewis vs Evander Holyfield and even those, in my mind, weren't as exciting as earlier fights. This one I had hope would hark back to days where boxing was cool and violence became art. I wanted a tear up, heavyweight boxing needed a tear up.

Alas, David Haye looked like a rank amateur in desperate need of training. Leaping from one end of the ring to the other and falling over himself. I mean sure if his toe is broken I can understand why he would fall over every time Klitschko lent on him. But this was shameful stuff.

Then there was his choice of punches, 'Overhead round house' I think is the Virtua Fighter term. His guard was nonexistent too and he needed to stop talking to Klischko.

Tactics? Well, speed and movement was Haye's main asset so why on Earth did he allow himself to be backed onto the ropes so much? Kitschko's footwork is good, it isn't cut the ring off the faster boxer good.

Klitschko, while one dimensional looked impressive, rhythmic in his move movement though not truly fluid.

But for me what left the real sour note was his classless broken toe excuse.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I imagine he'll retire now.

He wants a rematch but I can't see that happening, and I can't see Vitali giving him one either.

Shame, as he's got a lot to give the sport.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    nich wrote:
    I imagine he'll retire now.

He wants a PAYDAY but I can't see that happening, and I can't see Vitali giving him one either.

Shame, as he's got a lot to give the sport.

FTFY :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Sport? This is not a sport.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Haye was a one trick pony in that fight. When the 'Hayemaker' didn't work he had no plan B and deserved to lose.

Bigging yourself up and belittling your opponent before a fight is usual but I think Haye went too far and ultimately his mouth wrote cheques that his fists couldn't cash.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    if he was injured he should have postponed the fight rather than use it as an excuse later on.. I suspect ££££ and fingers crossed werethe contributing factors here

in Hayes defence though he's a cruiserweight who's stepped up and bulked up for a better payday and he's done ok out of it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    Boxing is a sport. I don't really want to get into a ethical debate about it being barbaric or not.

It's accepted as a sport by the general public.

Anyway....

For all my criticism of the fight I'd like to see him have a rematch but he needs a better trainer if that's all he can come up with. Perhaps Tyson can teach him the Peek-a-boo boxing style. which often helps the little guy beat the big guy.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    in Hayes defence though he's a cruiserweight who's stepped up and bulked up for a better payday and he's done ok out of it

I was having this debate with my Dad. David Haye is 6ft 3. He is hardly a small heavy weight and personally I reckon he was always a big Cruiserweight.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    edited July 2011
    Boxing is not a sport - its two blokes trying to beat the crap out of each other - maybe you would like to bring back gladiators (not the wussy TV program the real thing )
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Boxing isn't brutal enough for me. There always seems to be a lot of hugging and not all that much punching.

Of course after being hit once by one of those guys you'd do your damndest not to get hit again.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    suzyb wrote:
    Boxing isn't brutal enough for me. There always seems to be a lot of hugging and not all that much punching.

Of course after being hit once by one of those guys you'd do your damndest not to get hit again.

Jeeeezzz, not brutal enough? Still, I suppose you are from Lanarkshire, and it's more of a hobby/pastime there.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I was disgusted by Haye's choice of trash-talk before the fight.

He was then outclassed, out-thought and beaten by some margin in the ring.

Then, deciding he didn't look foolish enough, he brings out the pathetic broken toe excuse. For God's sake man, have a little dignity and be gracious in defeat.

He was a great cruiserweight, but after all the bluster he's been found out as a very average heavyweight. I think it's time for him to move on and, if not retire, certainly give up on the idea of any heavyweight glory.
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    Boxing is not a sport - its two blokes trying to beat the crap out of each other - maybe you would like to bring back gladiators (not the wussy TV program the real thing )

"boxing is the sport all others aspire to be"

Name another sport where you can be well beaten and still win with 1 second remanining.

Shame is with the drug problems in the USA we are devoid of decent heavyweights.
    Boxing is no longer the ticket out of the ghetto it used to be, so we are left with has beens from europe to bore us to death.

Haye was out of his weight category really giving up 2 stone to the big fella
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    suzyb wrote:

Jeeeezzz, not brutal enough? Still, I suppose you are from Lanarkshire, and it's more of a hobby/pastime there.
    and that's just the women there
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    spen666 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

and that's just the women there
    You're not wrong.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I get the feeling that Suzy would beat Spen in a fight.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • spen666

"boxing is the sport all others aspire to be"

Name another sport where you can be well beaten and still win with 1 second remanining.

Rugby Union -World Cup Final 2003 for example

Football - European Cup Final 1999 for example

Many other sports as well

Twittering @spen_666
  • Rule74Please
    Yeah but if you are thrashed in Rugby you are 60 - nil behind

1 second to go can you win?

Football 10 - nil down 1 second to go can you win?

Google Jeff harding v Dennis andries to see how you can be beaten to a pulp and still win
  • spen666
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Nah, I'd win because I'd have the "the sword of truth and the trusty shield of British fair play" to defend me.

Wait.... hang on a bit, that doesn't work does it?

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    Yeah but if you are thrashed in Rugby you are 60 - nil behind

1 second to go can you win?

Football 10 - nil down 1 second to go can you win?

Google Jeff harding v Dennis andries to see how you can be beaten to a pulp and still win

Both the examples I gave were teams who won after being seemingly out for the count.

But if you want to exclude all examples until you are left with boxing as the answer, then you will only get your answer.
    bit like a multiple choice quiz where every answer is the same

Twittering @spen_666
  • Rule74Please
    No it is the ONLY sport where you can be thrashed on the scorecard for all but 1 second and still win
  • spen666
    Depends what you mean by being thrashed and scorecard as well.

To come from 116-110 points down and win with a ko is only less than 3% behind

Whereas to come from 1-2 down to win 3-2 is to turn around a 50% deficit

you can play semantics all you like

Twittering @spen_666
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,384
    No it is the ONLY sport where you can be thrashed on the scorecard for all but 1 second and still win

You say that like it's a good thing - it just means that someone can get lucky.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Come come chaps. If we're going to nominate SuB to fight someone, it should at least involve another lady to err make it a more even contest, plus I'd expect a paddling pool full of jelly and some plucked chickens. You can't have a girl fight without a plucked chicken being introduced into the equation, not where I come from.

Shall I go quietly? Now?<locates coat>
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    To get back a little OT, (although the diversion was highly entertaining!)

David didn't look like a rank amateur. Some of his defence was outstanding, but the mistake he made was thinking he could beat Vlad using the same tactics he used against Valuev. This wasn't going to work against the best jab in the division currently. Broken little toe or not, he didn't throw enough leather. In round 3 he had the idea; but it wasn't followed up. Altogether, he was outboxed and out-thought by someone who is now has to be considered an under-rated fighter. Pre-Manny Steward, Vlad was vulnerable, now, there's no-one currently in the division (apart from his brother) who could touch him.

His build up to the fight was distasteful, but no more so than Ali in some of the Frazier stuff. Problem is, he left himself in a position whereby he was going to get a rather large omlette on his face if he didn't back up his claims; which is exactly what's happened. The toe thing just exacerbated this. He's what he is - probably the 3rd best Cruiserweight ever (after Holyfield and DeLeon) and someone who can hold their own in the Heavywieght division, Klitschkos aside. Think he can live with this with £7.5 mill in the bank.
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I was just glad he lost.

He pre-match hype was OTT and out of order.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Bigging yourself up and belittling your opponent before a fight is usual but I think Haye went too far and ultimately his mouth wrote cheques that his fists couldn't cash.

+1
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Clever Pun

nope.. kickboxing, mma, all fighting type sports offer that ^
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Someone at my gym described the fight as similar to me fighting this lad who's a foot shorter than me... I pepper him with shots, he puts in a big overhand right, I step back and avoid it... and repeat
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Someone at my gym described the fight as similar to me fighting this lad who's a foot shorter than me... I pepper him with shots, he puts in a big overhand right, I step back and avoid it... and repeat

Too true... although it worked for Mighty Mo for a while! Now there was a right hand....
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    No it is the ONLY sport where you can be thrashed on the :arrow: scorecard for all but 1 second and still w]n

Any of the running or throwing athletic events. Behind for 99m of the 100m or 26+ miles of the marathon but put on a burst to win. Your very last javelin, discus, shotput or hammer throw can propel you from dead last to gold medal. You can be behind to small gains in martial arts and put in the decisive throw etc at the last moment and win. Your second skiing slalom run can see you win from a way back And it depends where they put a time trial in the TdF & other grand tours,