The Woman in Yellow

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
I wonder if the French papers have found her yet

Bet she's still sore... :shock:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• She'll be even sorer if they find and name her...

Seriously though, I don't know where spectators are allowed to stand. She was on the tarmac but off the main carriageway. Standing a little back from the race surface would have saved her blushes but I don't know whether she technically committed an offence. Anybody know?
  • stimpy_76
    stimpy_76 Posts: 43
    The woman in yellow?

:?:
    Commuter MTB FCN 12
    XC MTB FCN 9
  • deptfordmarmoset
    deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
    edited July 2011
    stimpy_76 wrote:
    The woman in yellow?

She caused a big crash 10km from the end of the 2nd stage of the TdF.

EDIT: sorry, 1st stage.
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    pffttt...
    Women, enough said.... :roll:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    stimpy_76 wrote:
    The woman in yellow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfWotphjMC0

Oops!!!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    She'll be even sorer if they find and name her...

Seriously though, I don't know where spectators are allowed to stand. She was on the tarmac but off the main carriageway. Standing a little back from the race surface would have saved her blushes but I don't know whether she technically committed an offence. Anybody know?
    It's a public road - anyone can stand anywhere technically, unless Johny Frenchman has daft laws about jaywalking in the way that the Americans do.

It was a 50-50 from where I sat - she maybe shouldn't have been so close to the edge but the rider who hit here could perhaps have been paying more attention, esp 10k out on a straight road. Like Cav said, sh!t happens. You get up and get on with it. Good to see Contador losing out big time though as a result... Couldn't have happened to a more deserving bloke IMHO.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    When watching cycling you must:

#1 rule. Face the way the cyclists are coming from

#2 rule, stand away from the road edge when they pass.

I remember during the Flanders build up on Belgian TV they had a little 5 minute clip of a bunch of old men from a small cycling club describing how best to support your riders, and doing a little demonstration to show.

They were complaining (no waaay) that the new breed of fans were not well versed or adhering to the unspoken way, causing more spectator/rider accidents.
  • What a disgusting first comment, horrible racist pig. On the Youtube clip I mean.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    JamieRa wrote:
    pffttt...
    Women, enough said.... :roll:

A policeman (note: man) did something very similar about 10 years ago. It was in the final kilometer or so and the copper (correction, gendarme) did something very similar whilst standing on the trackside of the barriers and stepped into the road to take a picture of the oncoming peloton (note: he was facing the right way). He framed his picture in the viewfinder and the peloton piled into him.

Very funny to watch.

MBC, the clip I posted? What was said?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited July 2011
    You kind of have to wonder why someone would go to the trouble of getting out to a nice viewing point, no doubt waiting for a few hours for the peleton to show up and then not actually be looking when they came past. How hard is it to spectate properly? :lol:

Or maybe she was a Mrs Schleck!
    CiB wrote:
    It was a 50-50 from where I sat - she maybe shouldn't have been so close to the edge but the rider who hit here could perhaps have been paying more attention, esp 10k out on a straight road.

Hard to be sure how visible she would have been to him. Besides, at that pace you might only need to look down for a fraction of a second and the spectator move only a fraction towards the road for the accident to happen. All she needed to do was be awake for 15 seconds and she couldn't even manage that!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • What a facking French scumbag lesbian.... Typical, woman not even looking the right way... She was probably trying to cross the road...

What a gimp....

Internet fruitcakes, misogynistic twit.
  • david13
    david13 Posts: 32
    Slightly off topic, most Youtube messages are usually rude and offensive, why isn't there some sort of filtering system? That is maybe turned off when you log into Youtube?

Would seem a simple idea.
  • Yellow? I'd have said Lemon (as in get out of the way you lemon)
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218

And from last year

#3 rule, keep your dog under control
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Seriously though, I don't know where spectators are allowed to stand.
    This is a very English comment. You'll enjoy the Olympic road race.
  • David13 wrote:
    Slightly off topic, most Youtube messages are usually rude and offensive, why isn't there some sort of filtering system? That is maybe turned off when you log into Youtube?

Would seem a simple idea.

It's baffling, it could be a clip of The Wombles or something and beneath the clip the first comment is sometimes :

"Why don't you xxxx off and stick it up your xxxx you Jew-hating scumbag!"
  • Stiff_Orange - are you related to this lady (Sore_Yellow)?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Rolf F wrote:
    You kind of have to wonder why someone would go to the trouble of getting out to a nice viewing point, no doubt waiting for a few hours for the peloton to show up and then not actually be looking when they came past. How hard is it to spectate properly? :lol:

CiB wrote:
    It was a 50-50 from where I sat - she maybe shouldn't have been so close to the edge but the rider who hit here could perhaps have been paying more attention, esp 10k out on a straight road.

Hard to be sure how visible she would have been to him. Besides, at that pace you might only need to look down for a fraction of a second and the spectator move only a fraction towards the road for the accident to happen. All she needed to do was be awake for 15 seconds and she couldn't even manage that!
    Can't be ar$ed to split the quotes, but:

1) she was watching the first group who'd already passed her and for whatever reason had held her attention

2) From the admittedly short clip that we've all seen she didn't appear to move at all. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but we all know about door zones & not passing peds with a hair's breadth gap; it doesn't take much to translate that little bit of caution on a commute into not getting into a pile of trouble at the start of a major three week event.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,351

And from last year

#3 rule, keep your dog under control

Why would anyone bring a dog to a bike race?Idiots

It always amazes me that more riders aren't brought down, especially on the mountain stages.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,351
    CiB wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    You kind of have to wonder why someone would go to the trouble of getting out to a nice viewing point, no doubt waiting for a few hours for the peloton to show up and then not actually be looking when they came past. How hard is it to spectate properly? :lol:

CiB wrote:

Can't be ar$ed to split the quotes, but:

1) she was watching the first group who'd already passed her and for whatever reason had held her attention

2) From the admittedly short clip that we've all seen she didn't appear to move at all. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but we all know about door zones & not passing peds with a hair's breadth gap; it doesn't take much to translate that little bit of caution on a commute into not getting into a pile of trouble at the start of a major three week event.

In a group of 200 odd riders at that speed he isn't going to see her until the last moment.

Even if he did - where's he going to go?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • She didn't seem to be standing any further out than anyone else. As far as I'm concerned if riders are going to ride bunched up so tight like that then the have to expect random pile ups and I've no sympathy for them. If you don't want to crash leave yourself some space and make sure you can see what's ahead, otherwise stop whining.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Stiff_Orange - are you related to this lady (Sore_Yellow)?
    :lol:
  • Rolf F wrote:
    You kind of have to wonder why someone would go to the trouble of getting out to a nice viewing point, no doubt waiting for a few hours for the peloton to show up and then not actually be looking when they came past. How hard is it to spectate properly

She'll have been watching the leading riders.

Saw a few near misses the last time I was at an unfenced section.

Person 1 stands looking at the oncoming riders
    Person 2 now can't see, so takes a half step into the road
    Person 3 now can't see, so takes a full step into the road
    etc

The front of the bunch sweeps through, everyone turns to watch them, forgetting that the main part of the bunch is taking up the full carriage way and is flying up behind them.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    How hard is it to spectate properly

Clearly it's massively harder than cycling along a perfectly straight road on a clear day without riding into stuff :roll:

Anyway, it's only one bicycle race. They'll probably all get to try again next year. And the year after that. And the year after that. And the year after that. The endless pointless cycle (no pun intended).

:D
  • SecretSam wrote:
    I wonder if the French papers have found her yet

Bet she's still sore... :shock:

Let's consider what we know about this individual:
      Yellow Eyes not on the action An interest in cycling (presumably) Unknown identity As destructive as a Surface to Air Missle

Hummm, sounds a bit like someone here don't you think Secret SAM?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    It's a road race.

If you stand on the road you may be hit.

Nothing should be on the road that isn't part of the race.

It is a closed road event? Right? :wink:

What's hard to understand?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If you don't want to crash leave yourself some space and make sure you can see what's ahead, otherwise stop whining.

Fishing?
    Humour?

?????????
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    She didn't seem to be standing any further out than anyone else. As far as I'm concerned if riders are going to ride bunched up so tight like that then the have to expect random pile ups and I've no sympathy for them. If you don't want to crash leave yourself some space and make sure you can see what's ahead, otherwise stop whining.

Yeah, silly riders. They should go in single file, at least one bike length apart and keep to one side of the road :lol: (You should repeat this post in the Pro Cycling section!)
    Rolf F wrote:
    You kind of have to wonder why someone would go to the trouble of getting out to a nice viewing point, no doubt waiting for a few hours for the peloton to show up and then not actually be looking when they came past. How hard is it to spectate properly

She'll have been watching the leading riders.

For how long?! Did she think that there wasn't anyone else in the race?! At that stage in the stage (!) it's pretty obvious that the time gap between the leaders and the peleton is going to be short.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    The poor thing. Does she need anything rubbing better?

This warm weather is starting to get to me.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Its a conspiricy I tell you 8) - well someone had to say it :wink: