TDF stage 2 TTT ***SPOILERS***

13»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    GRM first win in the TDF and first Yellow Jersey. Congratulations...surprised it took this long.

Getty
    c2da15a312b2efba6c5ea8b798cc15c0-getty-118066196.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    "I really don't know him very well personally. Whenever I do see him at a race we are normally competitiors. So it's not as if we hang out together after the race and talk," Evans said.

"But on a personal level I have raced in teams with many of his ex-teammates and they all speak highly of him on a human level. A simple guy who likes the simple things in life.

"And a fabulous bike rider. There is no doubting that.

Sørensen: "Alberto is a great captain to support. He's such a fantastic guy to be around and he's a man that I instinctly want to help because he's openly appreciating the things you do for him.

"He's complementing his team-mates and is generally a generous person which makes him easy to be around.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Some nice pics here for ya FF:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheldona/

Taken by 'Knight of Niche' Sheldon.....SS mtber. Top bloke by all accounts.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Love those sheldon photos!!! Some great MTB ones!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    ddraver wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    One for the geeks...

Thor has worn the rainbow jersey, the polka dot jersey and now the yellow jersey. Who was the last rider to do the same? Can he get a day in green as well? If so, has anyone ever worn all four jerseys in the same season?

BTW, I don't have the answers.

My money would be on someone like Hinault or Merckx...

[geekalert] Merckx won all the jerseys in one tour, but did he ever wear them all? [/geekalert]

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    edited July 2011
    ddraver wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    One for the geeks...

Thor has worn the rainbow jersey, the polka dot jersey and now the yellow jersey. Who was the last rider to do the same? Can he get a day in green as well? If so, has anyone ever worn all four jerseys in the same season?

BTW, I don't have the answers.

My money would be on someone like Hinault or Merckx...

Lemond? I seem to recall him having the bands one year he was in the running for the MJ - I know that one year Merckx won yellow, polka and green but wasn't world champ that year

I think Schleck's gonna win it this year now, unless the other big names ride intelligently in order to break him
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Dunno guys, I'm a recent convert to cycling and sports history/geekery is not one of my strong points so i have to bow to superior knowledge!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    IIRC, Merckx didn't wear the white jersey because it hadn't been invented, but would have been eligible to do so if it had.

Or something like that.

I wouldn't write off Contador just yet.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Bear in mind that Thor was only wearing the polka dot because Gilbert couldn't and neither could Cadel, (who was busy wearing Gilberts green jersey). It wasn't as if Thor was actually leading the classification.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's a shame.

GC's shaping up nicely.

Now it will barely change (perhaps a few seconds here and there up the Muur) untill thursday in a weeks time.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I dunno - perhaps we could parachute an elite group of yellow-jumpered spectators onto narrow sections of the parcours to shake up the classification further? Not to mention that we're two days in and Frank hasn't fallen of his bike yet.

Is the Mur steep enough to produce a Gilbert vs Contador drag-race to the line? I think Bertie will be out to grab a few token seconds back.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    LangerDan wrote:
    Not to mention that we're two days in and Frank hasn't fallen of his bike yet.

F Schleck may not have fallen off but he did manage to get hit in the head by a camera and swallow a bee so at least he's trying!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    LangerDan wrote:
    I dunno - perhaps we could parachute an elite group of yellow-jumpered spectators onto narrow sections of the parcours to shake up the classification further? Not to mention that we're two days in and Frank hasn't fallen of his bike yet.

Is the Mur steep enough to produce a Gilbert vs Contador drag-race to the line? I think Bertie will be out to grab a few token seconds back.

It's more I'd like a little proper GC action that isn't just crashes in the first week, rather than having to wait untill well into the 2nd half.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I do think we'll see time gaps tomorrow, i reckon at least one of the GC contenders will get caught with their pants down. Can't see past Gilbert for the win, even if Contador tries to gain some time back.

Personally i'm still in favour of time bonuses, gives the opening week an added dimension if they are racing for the yellow jersey but doesn't have that much of an effect on the GC by the time you get to Paris.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I've never really liked time bonuses. I think they are fine in a week long tour but dont think they should be in a grand tour.
  • frenchfighter
    Tom BB wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheldona/

Thanks. Just had a quick flick through and they look amazing. Looking fwd to going over properly later.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    These skinsuits are atrocious:
    Getty
    c32c366e2a0fcfac07384e68565c9e19-getty-_.jpg

KLAATU BARADA NIKTO :shock:

Wish I had a picture of Gort on a bike.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    LangerDan wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Top 5 teams covered by 5 seconds.

Closest TTT I have seen for a while

To be fair, it was a "Disney-fied" version of a TTT. People want the spectacle of a TTT but aren't prepared to stomach the time losses which can result from doing it properly.

23km is a good commute, not a stage.
    I liked it Disneyfied. It had all the spectacle except the time losses a longer race would give. So it did the job of the prologue - imposed some mathematical but effectively meaningless hierarchy on the GC which will settle the bunch slightly and give us all a classification to stare at - without messing up the race.
  • frenchfighter
    Getty
    84ad653c23b6a80405cb6f0c9a231306-getty-118072070.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Tom BB wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheldona

Shame he doesn't allow for saving to file...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    He's uploaded some of today's stage
  • rick_chasey
    By the way. Just heard, Frank Schleck got stung on his tongue by a wasp half way through the TTT...
    Guess eating will be fun!
  • rick_chasey
    By the way. Just heard, Frank Schleck got stung on his tongue by a wasp half way through the TTT...

Is this not bigger news?

Seriously, riders have abandoned for wasp stings.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041

Is this not bigger news?

Seriously, riders have abandoned for wasp stings.

Well, it is not as if he had any affect on the efforts of the Leopard team. Both Schlecks were passengers.

I thought it was quite funny that Sean K thought it too risky to have them together at the back because they may clip eachother's wheels and crash. There was a fair chance that the rest of the team wouldn't notice that they had gone :lol:

Oh well, get well soon Frank :wink:
  • frenchfighter
    Check out that leg :shock:
    Kei Tsuji
    ayano2011tdf2e-245.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest