Clipless pedals

2»

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not that I'm aware of!

I ride clipless as I can use the 'pull up' muscle groups when I'm on my uphills to keep my speed up without tiring my normal 'push down' muscle groups as much as I otherwise would do - it also makes bunny hopping the speed bump easier!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It looks like some people are :?
    chilling wrote:
    [one of the benefits of clips is] Your feet don't get shaken off the pedal by a patch of rough road.

I was thinking along the lines of recommending some half decent pedals. There's something seriously wrong if you need toeclips/SPDs to keep your feet on the pedals on the road.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    When getting back on the bike after my first off I decided to go for flats over my SPDs as I wondered if the outcome of the accident might have been different if I was not clipped in. I quickly discovered how much I use the upward pull, however, when accelerating from a stop to find my feet flying into the air.

Despite my thinking above, I am committed to clipless again, but I'm not sure I'd want to be in toe-clips if I was involved in another accident.
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    The sole benefit (no pun intended) I've found with clipless is that I fidget less on the pedal. On flats I'm constantly shifting my foot this way and that, in clipless I just clip in and can forget about how my feet are positioned.

As far as power delivery or efficiency are concerned, I can't say I've noticed any difference between any pedal I've ever used. As long as they are attached to the cranks it's a safe bet I can push them round.

But then I am crap, so anything I have to say is best regarded as such.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Slightly off topic but not by much... Pedal float.

I had a pair of Crank Bros pedals(eggbeater style) I was using for commuting and I really liked that clipped in feeling, (though i'm not convinced it was necessary or even good for my knees) however, they went back to CRC as they fell to bits and CRC have given me vouchers in their place.

Now I had the pedals set up for maximum float (around 15degrees iirc) as I've crazy duck feet. Does anyone know of affordable pedals with a decent amount of float, i'm thinking I need/want more than 15degrees. Suggestions??

(TL:DR I Want affordable pedals with lots of float, suggestions please.)
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • CrackFox
    CrackFox Posts: 287
    anton1r wrote:
    Now I had the pedals set up for maximum float (around 15degrees iirc) as I've crazy duck feet. Does anyone know of affordable pedals with a decent amount of float, i'm thinking I need/want more than 15degrees. Suggestions??

Speedplay?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedplay-zero-chrome-moly-pedals/
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    anton1r wrote:
    Slightly off topic but not by much... Pedal float.

I had a pair of Crank Bros pedals(eggbeater style) I was using for commuting and I really liked that clipped in feeling, (though i'm not convinced it was necessary or even good for my knees) however, they went back to CRC as they fell to bits and CRC have given me vouchers in their place.

Wii?
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    CrackFox wrote:
    anton1r wrote:

Speedplay?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/speedplay-zero-chrome-moly-pedals/

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/ ... our_128526

Not cheap, but I won't use anything else now . . .
  • anton1r
    Cheers guys. I had stumbled along speedplays before but wasn't sure about their reputation. Also they're abit pricey...

Speedplays have the most float in general though huh?
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • Anton. A bit of float is a good thing for the recreational cyclist, but you can get too much of a good thing - you don't want your feet moving about too much on the pedals. It should be possible to adjust your cleats to line up with your prefered position.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • anton1r
    Anton. A bit of float is a good thing for the recreational cyclist, but you can get too much of a good thing - you don't want your feet moving about too much on the pedals. It should be possible to adjust your cleats to line up with your prefered position.

Yeah cheers walkingboot, its just that my feet were right at the brink of unclipping in the crank bros at 15degree float so I'm wondering what if anything offers more is all... I never found it annoying that i could move my feet a bit but they didn't move much on their own anyway.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Well I've finally taken the plunge. Shimano PDM540 pedals and dhb M1 shoes
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Same here. Finally succumb to the urge. MT42 and 520s. No comedy moment and after a day and a half it's become second nature.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    after a day and a half it's become second nature.

Hold that thought....

It does become natural after a bit of time but I'm sure you'll have a comedy moment at some point, everyone does. Nowadays i find it feels weird when I have to use flats.