Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

Training for the finish

jgsijgsi Posts: 5,026
Any tips here?
After 35 miles of race...go out in front for the last 1000 metres...
blow up spectacularly with 200 to go and hold line as bunch steam past even those you havent seen all race since starting off.
I was feeling ok at 1000 metres to go as well....but beginning to doubt that now

Posts

  • jocksyboyjocksyboy Posts: 135
    don't go out with 1km to go.
    Yes the canny racers will hide in the bunch till the end then make their move.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,026
    I was trying something novel....
    At least I didnt get in the way
  • GiantMikeGiantMike Posts: 3,139
    jgsi wrote:
    blow up spectacularly with 200 to go and hold line as bunch steam past

    Sounds like you should have gone at 750m to go.
  • ZachariahZachariah Posts: 782
    Train for it - now you know how long it takes for you to go 35 miles at race pace, you can do the same thing on your own, adding a nice long sprint at the end. Repeat as necessary with adequate rest between efforts.
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,026
    GiantMike wrote:
    jgsi wrote:
    blow up spectacularly with 200 to go and hold line as bunch steam past

    Sounds like you should have gone at 750m to go.
    Godammit, just knew it was summat obvious! :D
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    A KM out is a long way to go for it. Many have tried, most will fail.


    Either go from further out and try and build a bigger gap or get a shorter, more powerful sprint (like 500m).

    Or like the others say - learn to ride someone else's wheel until 200m from the line, waiting for THEM to blow up and then blow past them.
  • leflef Posts: 728
    +1 for mirroring this type of effort in your training.

    Consider how hard you went too, once you got a gap did you need to continue to go quite as hard or could you have eased off a little then gone again closer to the line.

    Saying that Ive done similar a few times, i make the decision to go but get carried away with the moment and continue to go all out when maybe easing off back to threshold or just above for a bit would be enough so to save something for when they start chasing you down. Slowly learning though!
  • sheffsimonsheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    jgsi wrote:
    Any tips here?
    After 35 miles of race...go out in front for the last 1000 metres...
    blow up spectacularly with 200 to go and hold line as bunch steam past even those you havent seen all race since starting off.
    I was feeling ok at 1000 metres to go as well....but beginning to doubt that now

    A surefire race tactic to win f'kall (excepting F.Cancellara).
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,026
    On reflection I did misjudge distance away from the finish, even tho' I knew the road fairly well, but trust me won't repeat that again in a hurry.
  • amaferangaamaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Was that you in the Peak RC road race that gave us all a great lead out?
    More problems but still living....
  • Rule74PleaseRule74Please Posts: 307
    Just go from the gun and keep trying to get away if you can't sprint.

    remember if you are down the road it not a break away it is the RACE
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,026
    amaferanga wrote:
    Was that you in the Peak RC road race that gave us all a great lead out?

    Nope .. and it wont be me this Sunday (HiPeak), either :wink:
  • amaferangaamaferanga Posts: 6,789
    jgsi wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Was that you in the Peak RC road race that gave us all a great lead out?

    Nope .. and it wont be me this Sunday (HiPeak), either :wink:

    Which group are you in?
    More problems but still living....
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,026
    amaferanga wrote:
    jgsi wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Was that you in the Peak RC road race that gave us all a great lead out?

    Nope .. and it wont be me this Sunday (HiPeak), either :wink:

    Which group are you in?

    Longmarkers..... trying to rest up as much as .
    Looking forward to this and weather set for good as well
  • amaferangaamaferanga Posts: 6,789
    jgsi wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    jgsi wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Was that you in the Peak RC road race that gave us all a great lead out?

    Nope .. and it wont be me this Sunday (HiPeak), either :wink:

    Which group are you in?

    Longmarkers..... trying to rest up as much as .
    Looking forward to this and weather set for good as well

    Scratch for me. Should be a good race, though I'm racing Saturday afternoon so won't exactly be rested. Couple of the longmarkers stayed away last year, but hopefully that won't happen again :wink:
    More problems but still living....
Sign In or Register to comment.