Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Cleaning and lubrication

Paul057Paul057 Posts: 167
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
Would somebody be kind enough to talk me through what i'm supposed to do with my bike when i get back from a ride? I currently give it a blast with the hose pipe and wipe off any visible muck, then spray some WD40 on the cassette, chainset and down behind the brake levers. Am i far off?
It's only a starter bike that i intend to sell soon before i get a proper bike, but i want to look after it and get into good habits before i get my dream machine
«1

Posts

  • mrwibblemrwibble Posts: 980
    don't use WD40, use a chain specific lube from a bike shop.
  • did you say WD-40???? i'd stick your helmet on mate lol...

    I usually get a sponge and bucket of warm water and wipe off most of the crud (top to bottom) from the frame. At this point the wheels are off and waiting for later. I'll then go through the crank, front/rear mech, bottom bracket and brakes with a can of TF2 spray (Tesco currently have it on 3 for 2) - this stuff is great and cleans everything and then leaves a layer of lube behind it. I'll then give the whole frame a wipe over with kitchen roll to remove and last bits and get the TF2 off it.

    Moving onto the wheels, i'll blast the cassette with TF2 and then work between each cog with a cloth getting right down inside (every 3 months or so i'll take the cassette off and break it up to clean it fully). I'll then wipe over the rims with a cloth and water and check the spokes for crud or broken/bent spokes.

    If i have time, i'll give the saddle a quick once over with cif or power foam and also a bit of TF2 into the gear/brake levers. Once everything is dry, the back wheel goes back on and i run through the gears while slowly dripping some dry lube onto them!

    Then it's all ready for the next ride!

    Please note though, that this is only after a decent Sunday ride. When commuting, i'll probably leave it and do it on a saturday afternoon, but then just a bit of TF2 and dry lube.
  • rdtrdt Posts: 869
    did you say WD-40???? i'd stick your helmet on mate lol...

    I usually get a sponge and bucket of warm water and wipe off most of the crud (top to bottom) from the frame. At this point the wheels are off and waiting for later. I'll then go through the crank, front/rear mech, bottom bracket and brakes with a can of TF2 spray (Tesco currently have it on 3 for 2) - this stuff is great and cleans everything and then leaves a layer of lube behind it. I'll then give the whole frame a wipe over with kitchen roll to remove and last bits and get the TF2 off it.

    Moving onto the wheels, i'll blast the cassette with TF2 and then work between each cog with a cloth getting right down inside (every 3 months or so i'll take the cassette off and break it up to clean it fully). I'll then wipe over the rims with a cloth and water and check the spokes for crud or broken/bent spokes.

    If i have time, i'll give the saddle a quick once over with cif or power foam and also a bit of TF2 into the gear/brake levers. Once everything is dry, the back wheel goes back on and i run through the gears while slowly dripping some dry lube onto them!

    Then it's all ready for the next ride!

    Please note though, that this is only after a decent Sunday ride. When commuting, i'll probably leave it and do it on a saturday afternoon, but then just a bit of TF2 and dry lube.

    You are OCD and I claim my £5. :shock:
    ----
  • Paul057Paul057 Posts: 167
    Holy s**t!!! How long does that take Olly? Thanks for the detailed answer though, i think i might work my way up to something like that, and getting the right product would be a good start.

    I've kinda half picked up that WD40 is not popular amongst some people but i don't really see what the big deal is.
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    Unless my bike is filthy after a wet ride, it goes into the garage until the next ride.

    When you want to clean it, warm water and fairy liquid is fine. Fairy liquid does have a small amount of salt in it though, but nothing a good rinse down won't deal with. Don't hose down the bearings though, you don't want to force water into them.

    As for lubing, get a decent biek specific lube. Everyone on here will have a favorite and will berate any and all suggestions of anything other than that which they use. Just find one which you like and use it.

    However, DON'T use WD40 as a chain lube. It will displace water well, but will also thin and strip out any existing lube and (in the words of WD40 customer service) does not have the shear force capacity to act as an efficient chain lube.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Wacky RacerWacky Racer Posts: 638
    Paul057 wrote:
    I've kinda half picked up that WD40 is not popular amongst some people but i don't really see what the big deal is.

    For bike maintenance, WD40 is best used as a solvent. It will break down new and old grease fairly easily, especially if you use a brush or cloth, so it’s excellent for the initial cleaning of parts, however I would recommend you carry this out away from the bike. One major concern with WD40 is that it tends to be mainly available in spray cans. Because of the relative close proximity of things like wheel rims and brake rotors to derailleurs and chains, the potential for troublesome overspray is obvious as well as potentially dangerous.

    Basically, use WD40 to clean up, but lubricate with something appropriate afterwards, and be bloody careful where you spray the stuff.
    Ridley Orion
  • As far as cleaning the frame goes I just give it a wipe over with the Speed Detailer I use on the car - it gets all the rubbish off and leaves the paintwork nice and shiny.

    For the mechanical bits I use a WD40 for cleaning and then, after it has dried, put some proper lube on. I don't do it after every ride though - I only bother when it looks dirty.
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    Oh yeah.......... top tip for cleaning your chain.
    Baby wipes !!
    Yes, really !

    Right then, your question about WD40, ie what's the problem.

    WD40 is a penetrating oil. ie it's very thin so that it can penetrate items such as the threads on siezed bolts. It doesn't just consist of oil, it consists of oil and a solvent. The solvent thins it right down, so that it can penetrate and spread.

    However....... this solvent, also does a great job of thinning and breaking down any existing grease or oil.
    The other problem, as I previously mentioned, the oil component of WD40 is not designed for high load applications, it's a very light oil.

    As this subject comes up every few weeks, a while ago, I decided to email WD40 customer service / technical support. They replied saying that whilst WD40 does have lubricating properties, it does not have sufficient shear force capacity to act as an effective cycle chain lube.

    Here endeth the lesson, I'd like to think for the last time, but I doubt it !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • sheffsimonsheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Paul057 wrote:
    Would somebody be kind enough to talk me through what i'm supposed to do with my bike when i get back from a ride? I currently give it a blast with the hose pipe and wipe off any visible muck, then spray some WD40 on the cassette, chainset and down behind the brake levers. Am i far off?
    It's only a starter bike that i intend to sell soon before i get a proper bike, but i want to look after it and get into good habits before i get my dream machine

    Put it in the shed/garage/house until next time you use it.
  • Stu07Stu07 Posts: 48
    +1 for baby wipes. Read another post where it was mentioned and found it works wonders.

    Before that I would take chain off and put it in a jar of degreaser, but it was far too messy and didn't work as well.

    For the frame I wash it with sponge then spray some GT 85 on a cloth and wipe it down. Removes any stubborn grime and leaves a nice shine. I also assume it leaves a thin layer of water dispersion, although I haven't noticed it.
  • Paul057 wrote:
    Holy s**t!!! How long does that take Olly? Thanks for the detailed answer though, i think i might work my way up to something like that, and getting the right product would be a good start.

    Got it down to about an hour now (not taking the cassette apart). But i suppose it's like a car enthusiast cleaning their pride and joy....if it's a nice day out, i stick the bike on the stand and just enjoy cleaning it! It's actually quite therapeutic...

    and bear in mind that my bike lives in the dining room as my garage is not secure enough to hold it, so the mrs doesn't like it when i get crud/muck/oil on the carpet! :roll:
  • by the way, does anyone use them special chain cleaners that you run the chain through? Are they any good?
  • MountainMonsterMountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    by the way, does anyone use them special chain cleaners that you run the chain through? Are they any good?

    I've got one as well, and not sure I like it. Maybe I'm using it wrong, but it does a piss poor job of cleaning the chain. Maybe I use too much oil or something.
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    by the way, does anyone use them special chain cleaners that you run the chain through? Are they any good?
    I have one, which I use on my MTB, and it's great. It does a fantastic job of removing grit, mud, oil etc and bringing the chain up like new. It gets used after every ride in the winter. I don't use it on my road bike though as I've never really seen it necessary. The chain never seems to get dirty enough to require such a scrubbing. I just use baby wipes every now and then, and when I decide that the chain needs a good clean, I remove it and clean it in tub (plastic take away containers are great for this !) full of degreaser.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,286
    Dry it and lube it if it gets wet, or wash, dry and lube if it gets dirty. Most of the time I just fall off the thing in the garage and stagger inside for a cup of tea and a hobnob.
  • BruceGBruceG Posts: 347
    edited June 2011
    MattC59 wrote:
    by the way, does anyone use them special chain cleaners that you run the chain through? Are they any good?
    I have one, which I use on my MTB, and it's great. It does a fantastic job of removing grit, mud, oil etc and bringing the chain up like new. It gets used after every ride in the winter. I don't use it on my road bike though as I've never really seen it necessary. The chain never seems to get dirty enough to require such a scrubbing. I just use baby wipes every now and then, and when I decide that the chain needs a good clean, I remove it and clean it in tub (plastic take away containers are great for this !) full of degreaser.

    So you belittle someone "here endeth the lesson" about WD40 because it strips away oils etc etc blah blah blah, then you admit you clean your chain in a de greaser!!!! Now presumably you then apply a lube afterwards, so what is the difference in using WD40 as an effective cleaner then re lubing afterwards
    HERE ENDETH THE LESSON pots and kettles etc etc
  • king_jeffersking_jeffers Posts: 694
    Windolene on kitchen roll/rag then wipe down frame and wheels. Small amount of soap and water on the chain... wipe down, dry off then dry lube. So far so good.

    I'm keeping away from WD40, got some on my pads and ended up having to replace them. Just couldn't get the stuff out, total noob error :oops:
  • BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    by the way, does anyone use them special chain cleaners that you run the chain through? Are they any good?
    I have one, which I use on my MTB, and it's great. It does a fantastic job of removing grit, mud, oil etc and bringing the chain up like new. It gets used after every ride in the winter. I don't use it on my road bike though as I've never really seen it necessary. The chain never seems to get dirty enough to require such a scrubbing. I just use baby wipes every now and then, and when I decide that the chain needs a good clean, I remove it and clean it in tub (plastic take away containers are great for this !) full of degreaser.

    So you belittle someone "here endeth the lesson" about WD40 because it strips away oils etc etc blah blah blah, then you admit you clean your chain in a de greaser!!!! Now presumably you then apply a lube afterwards, so what is the difference in using WD40 as an effective cleaner then re lubing afterwards
    HERE ENDETH THE LESSON pots and kettles etc etc

    nothing wrong with using WD40 away from the bike on open components and then lube after. The problem comes when you spray everything with WD40 and it starts working it's way into hubs and bearings....it's not good for them
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    by the way, does anyone use them special chain cleaners that you run the chain through? Are they any good?
    I have one, which I use on my MTB, and it's great. It does a fantastic job of removing grit, mud, oil etc and bringing the chain up like new. It gets used after every ride in the winter. I don't use it on my road bike though as I've never really seen it necessary. The chain never seems to get dirty enough to require such a scrubbing. I just use baby wipes every now and then, and when I decide that the chain needs a good clean, I remove it and clean it in tub (plastic take away containers are great for this !) full of degreaser.

    So you belittle someone "here endeth the lesson" about WD40 because it strips away oils etc etc blah blah blah, then you admit you clean your chain in a de greaser!!!! Now presumably you then apply a lube afterwards, so what is the difference in using WD40 as an effective cleaner then re lubing afterwards
    HERE ENDETH THE LESSON pots and kettles etc etc
    Yep, I do admit to using degreaser to clean the chain, as that's what it's for, and WD40 isn't an effective chain cleaner. You'll also notice that I was stating in my previous posts that WD40 isn't an effective chain lube, nowhere did I mention isn't cleaning properties.

    Sorry if you find this, or previous posts belittling, but I suggest that if you'd read the posts properly, perhaps you wouldn't.
    But if you do, I suggest that you go elsewhere, as there is far worse posted on here.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • BruceGBruceG Posts: 347
    MattC59 wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    by the way, does anyone use them special chain cleaners that you run the chain through? Are they any good?
    I have one, which I use on my MTB, and it's great. It does a fantastic job of removing grit, mud, oil etc and bringing the chain up like new. It gets used after every ride in the winter. I don't use it on my road bike though as I've never really seen it necessary. The chain never seems to get dirty enough to require such a scrubbing. I just use baby wipes every now and then, and when I decide that the chain needs a good clean, I remove it and clean it in tub (plastic take away containers are great for this !) full of degreaser.

    So you belittle someone "here endeth the lesson" about WD40 because it strips away oils etc etc blah blah blah, then you admit you clean your chain in a de greaser!!!! Now presumably you then apply a lube afterwards, so what is the difference in using WD40 as an effective cleaner then re lubing afterwards
    HERE ENDETH THE LESSON pots and kettles etc etc
    Yep, I do admit to using degreaser to clean the chain, as that's what it's for, and WD40 isn't an effective chain cleaner. You'll also notice that I was stating in my previous posts that WD40 isn't an effective chain lube, nowhere did I mention isn't cleaning properties.

    Sorry if you find this, or previous posts belittling, but I suggest that if you'd read the posts properly, perhaps you wouldn't.
    But if you do, I suggest that you go elsewhere, as there is far worse posted on here.

    Predicatable and Boring response
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    by the way, does anyone use them special chain cleaners that you run the chain through? Are they any good?
    I have one, which I use on my MTB, and it's great. It does a fantastic job of removing grit, mud, oil etc and bringing the chain up like new. It gets used after every ride in the winter. I don't use it on my road bike though as I've never really seen it necessary. The chain never seems to get dirty enough to require such a scrubbing. I just use baby wipes every now and then, and when I decide that the chain needs a good clean, I remove it and clean it in tub (plastic take away containers are great for this !) full of degreaser.

    So you belittle someone "here endeth the lesson" about WD40 because it strips away oils etc etc blah blah blah, then you admit you clean your chain in a de greaser!!!! Now presumably you then apply a lube afterwards, so what is the difference in using WD40 as an effective cleaner then re lubing afterwards
    HERE ENDETH THE LESSON pots and kettles etc etc
    Yep, I do admit to using degreaser to clean the chain, as that's what it's for, and WD40 isn't an effective chain cleaner. You'll also notice that I was stating in my previous posts that WD40 isn't an effective chain lube, nowhere did I mention isn't cleaning properties.

    Sorry if you find this, or previous posts belittling, but I suggest that if you'd read the posts properly, perhaps you wouldn't.
    But if you do, I suggest that you go elsewhere, as there is far worse posted on here.

    Predicatable and Boring response
    Well what do you expect ? From your initial response, I can only assume that you hadn't read the rest of the post properly, hadn't understood it, or you're an idiot. I'd like to think it was the former ?
    So I was just clarifying the area which you hadn't read or understood. Of course it's going to be predictable. :roll: It doesn't take a genius to work that out !

    ps. please insert some singing and dancing of yur choice if you feel that this response is boring.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rodgers73rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I put a bit of cardboard between the chainset and the rear wheel rim when spraying WD40. It keeps the rims and pads free of any overspray but lets me get the water and censored out of the chain itself. The cardboard also soaks up some of the overspray/drips so it doesnt go everywhere.
  • BruceGBruceG Posts: 347
    MattC59 wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    by the way, does anyone use them special chain cleaners that you run the chain through? Are they any good?
    I have one, which I use on my MTB, and it's great. It does a fantastic job of removing grit, mud, oil etc and bringing the chain up like new. It gets used after every ride in the winter. I don't use it on my road bike though as I've never really seen it necessary. The chain never seems to get dirty enough to require such a scrubbing. I just use baby wipes every now and then, and when I decide that the chain needs a good clean, I remove it and clean it in tub (plastic take away containers are great for this !) full of degreaser.

    So you belittle someone "here endeth the lesson" about WD40 because it strips away oils etc etc blah blah blah, then you admit you clean your chain in a de greaser!!!! Now presumably you then apply a lube afterwards, so what is the difference in using WD40 as an effective cleaner then re lubing afterwards
    HERE ENDETH THE LESSON pots and kettles etc etc
    Yep, I do admit to using degreaser to clean the chain, as that's what it's for, and WD40 isn't an effective chain cleaner. You'll also notice that I was stating in my previous posts that WD40 isn't an effective chain lube, nowhere did I mention isn't cleaning properties.

    Sorry if you find this, or previous posts belittling, but I suggest that if you'd read the posts properly, perhaps you wouldn't.
    But if you do, I suggest that you go elsewhere, as there is far worse posted on here.

    Predicatable and Boring response
    Well what do you expect ? From your initial response, I can only assume that you hadn't read the rest of the post properly, hadn't understood it, or you're an idiot. I'd like to think it was the former ?
    So I was just clarifying the area which you hadn't read or understood. Of course it's going to be predictable. :roll: It doesn't take a genius to work that out !

    ps. please insert some singing and dancing of yur choice if you feel that this response is boring.

    Yet again boring and predicatable, would have been refreshing if you had said yes you are right and apologised for being patronising to the OP. But I doubt that would ever happen, you just carry on degreasing your chain, and be bemoaning others for using WD40 Jeez what a hypocrite
  • TuckerUKTuckerUK Posts: 398
    Oh look, a thread where verifiable facts (company says WD40 no good for chains) get buried under lots of willy waving to prevent anyone looking dumb. On Bike Radar Forums? Who'd have thought?

    WD40 is not good for anything other than water dismantlement really (Water Displacement 40), however, GT85 is recommended for use on chains (perhaps not as the main lube, but certainly OK to prevent rusting on the other surfaces?).
    "Coming through..."
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    edited June 2011
    BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    by the way, does anyone use them special chain cleaners that you run the chain through? Are they any good?
    I have one, which I use on my MTB, and it's great. It does a fantastic job of removing grit, mud, oil etc and bringing the chain up like new. It gets used after every ride in the winter. I don't use it on my road bike though as I've never really seen it necessary. The chain never seems to get dirty enough to require such a scrubbing. I just use baby wipes every now and then, and when I decide that the chain needs a good clean, I remove it and clean it in tub (plastic take away containers are great for this !) full of degreaser.

    So you belittle someone "here endeth the lesson" about WD40 because it strips away oils etc etc blah blah blah, then you admit you clean your chain in a de greaser!!!! Now presumably you then apply a lube afterwards, so what is the difference in using WD40 as an effective cleaner then re lubing afterwards
    HERE ENDETH THE LESSON pots and kettles etc etc
    Yep, I do admit to using degreaser to clean the chain, as that's what it's for, and WD40 isn't an effective chain cleaner. You'll also notice that I was stating in my previous posts that WD40 isn't an effective chain lube, nowhere did I mention isn't cleaning properties.

    Sorry if you find this, or previous posts belittling, but I suggest that if you'd read the posts properly, perhaps you wouldn't.
    But if you do, I suggest that you go elsewhere, as there is far worse posted on here.

    Predicatable and Boring response
    Well what do you expect ? From your initial response, I can only assume that you hadn't read the rest of the post properly, hadn't understood it, or you're an idiot. I'd like to think it was the former ?
    So I was just clarifying the area which you hadn't read or understood. Of course it's going to be predictable. :roll: It doesn't take a genius to work that out !

    ps. please insert some singing and dancing of yur choice if you feel that this response is boring.

    Yet again boring and predicatable, would have been refreshing if you had said yes you are right and apologised for being patronising to the OP. But I doubt that would ever happen, you just carry on degreasing your chain, and be bemoaning others for using WD40 Jeez what a hypocrite

    Before I start, apologies to everyone for BruceG hijacking this thread, and for myself getting caught up in it, he's succeeded in some extraordinary trolling.

    Well, I'm lost now.
    Firstly; yes, I am right, thank you.
    Secondly; I wasn't patronising the OP, as you'll have noticed had you read the posts properly. I was actually answering the question and I explained why WD40 wasn't suitable, including information from the manufacturer.
    Thirdly; degreasing your chain is the best way to thoroughly clean a chain, how else do you suggest degreasing it, other than using degreaser ?
    Fourthly; I wasn't bemoaning others for using WD40, I was pointing out why it's not a good idea, as requested.
    Fifthly; in the post which you decided to pipe up, I was again answering a question, offering information / advice about chain cleaners.

    I will however retract one of my statements. I wrongly suggested that you may have not read or understood the posts. I retract that, and I was wrong. Judging by your 21 posts to date, you appear pretty much incapable of offering any adviceand tend to just butt into threads with unhelpful comments. If you had posted on a more frequent basis, I think it would be fair for me to assume that you are a Troll, but you haven't, so I can only assume that you are in fact, the idiot I suspected you to be.

    One last thing, if you're going to call someone a hypocrite, at least have the decency to understand the meaning of the word, and use it in the correct context before you do so.

    There's a good fellow.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,433
    TuckerUK wrote:
    Oh look, a thread where verifiable facts (company says WD40 no good for chains) get buried under lots of willy waving to prevent anyone looking dumb. On Bike Radar Forums? Who'd have thought?

    WD40 is not good for anything other than water dismantlement really (Water Displacement 40), however, GT85 is recommended for use on chains (perhaps not as the main lube, but certainly OK to prevent rusting on the other surfaces?).
    I though perhaps I'd typed this in a white font, as BG appeared not to have noticed. Thanks for pointing it out again :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • PseudonymPseudonym Posts: 1,032
    I'm off down the shops to buy a crate load of WD40. The way some people are carrying on here, you'd think sulphuric acid would be a better bet....
  • BruceGBruceG Posts: 347
    MattC59 wrote:
    TuckerUK wrote:
    Oh look, a thread where verifiable facts (company says WD40 no good for chains) get buried under lots of willy waving to prevent anyone looking dumb. On Bike Radar Forums? Who'd have thought?

    WD40 is not good for anything other than water dismantlement really (Water Displacement 40), however, GT85 is recommended for use on chains (perhaps not as the main lube, but certainly OK to prevent rusting on the other surfaces?).
    I though perhaps I'd typed this in a white font, as BG appeared not to have noticed. Thanks for pointing it out again :wink:

    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CFYQ9QEwBQ
  • Paul057Paul057 Posts: 167
    I like the baby wipe idea for the chain (especially as i've got boxes full of them for the kids). Not too keen on the "stick the bike in the garage until next time you use it" idea though. I'm a bit OCD and the thought of it just sitting there all dirty chills me.

    So in summary;
    Only use WD40 to clean - not to lubricate
    Use soap and water for the frame
    Use specific chain lubricant for the cassette and chain

    ...and where do i use dry lube?

    Also, what are some good brands?
  • BruceGBruceG Posts: 347
    MattC59 wrote:
    TuckerUK wrote:
    Oh look, a thread where verifiable facts (company says WD40 no good for chains) get buried under lots of willy waving to prevent anyone looking dumb. On Bike Radar Forums? Who'd have thought?

    WD40 is not good for anything other than water dismantlement really (Water Displacement 40), however, GT85 is recommended for use on chains (perhaps not as the main lube, but certainly OK to prevent rusting on the other surfaces?).
    I though perhaps I'd typed this in a white font, as BG appeared not to have noticed. Thanks for pointing it out again :wink:

    You are clearly very very very stupid so I will make it clear for you, all you needed to do was point out to the OP that whilst it was a good cleaning agent it was not a good idea to rely on it as a Lube, therefore once used for cleaning then a propietry brand of Lube afterwards would be a good idea, all your patronising " There Endeth the lesson" censored was totally unnecessary.
    Incidentally the "scare mongering" about using WD40 on chains, was borne in some part the the motorcycle fraternity, where it isnt a good idea to use it to clean chainswith it either, as motorcycle chains use rubber o rings to seal in the grease packed rollers, and WD40 can have an effect on the O rings and render them useles thus reducing the chain life. This isnt something that will occur on a bicycle chain.

    So to the OP ,use it for cleaning if you wish it will do a good job, however its lubricating qualities are limited due to reduced shear strength , however with the torque loadings that an average cyclist will impart this will only give a marginal reduction in chain life if re applied regularly
Sign In or Register to comment.