angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    foxc_uk wrote:
    I hate you

I'm sure I can live with that.

Gazlar

Yeah, I've sort of realised it won't last forever which is a shame :roll:
  • KitsuneAndy
    KitsuneAndy Posts: 164
    I sometimes think I cycle just to compensate for the amount of beer I drink :D

Should probably cycle more now that I'm not boarding as well. Stupid knee.
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    my sister is still like that and she is 38 in a few days, she eats shizzle like trifle for breakfast!
  • Kaise
    something else that might interest you guys

http://www.thecolumn.org/exercise-calories.asp

i have a full detailed list that i can email if needed
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Just by cutting out full-fat coke, and chocolate on a night time, I've dropped 1.5st in around 10 weeks. It's amazing the terrible eating habits you can get yourself into without realizing it and the effect that has on your weight.

I'd like to be down to 15st by the end of the year (another 1st to go).

Don't really think I could drop much more than that anyway due to my general build.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Bout 11 stone here, and 6'2" well a bit of an inch short of that, but hey i can round... eat what ever i want when i want and in my thirties :P

let the hate begin :)
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    How can you be 6'2" and 11st.

You anorexic motherfucker!

Do you have to wear lead shot in your shoes to stop you blowing away in a mild breeze

:lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Considering I survive on utterly crap food, and drink quite abit on weekends, the fact I'm still around the 11 stone mark baffles me :lol: when I did abit of xc racing a few gets back I was under 10 stone and 6ft 1ish, then I discovered beer and that went out the window, gonna try and get to the last round of the UK gravity enduro series at afan in September, hoping to be a fair bit fitter and under 11 stone by then, although considering it's smack bang in the middle of freshers week, I highly doubt I'll do either :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Whats scarier at that is I pedal a 36pounds 160mm bike with a DH tyre up front round all the trails with that weight.. i mean there can't be any muscle in that amount of weight surely?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,559
    Bout 11 stone here, and 6'2" well a bit of an inch short of that, but hey i can round... eat what ever i want when i want and in my thirties :P

let the hate begin :)
    Nah, we don't hate skinny feckers :wink:

TBH never been a problem for me as long as I do plenty exercise - as I found out when I was off the bike for 10 weeks until very recently - half a stone of lard to shift, but I ain't changing what I eat, just doing loads of biking. I reckon genetics has a lot to do with it as well - my folks are both pretty lean and I've never been fat. So if you're a fat c*** you can always blame your parents :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    How can you be 6'2" and 11st.

You anorexic motherfucker!

Do you have to wear lead shot in your shoes to stop you blowing away in a mild breeze

:lol:

:lol: That's actually skinnier than me, lower BMI anyway....just.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    BMI means pretty much nothing though.
  • KitsuneAndy
    KitsuneAndy Posts: 164
    foxc_uk wrote:
    well... I was hammered the night before...
    but ultimately, running in snowboard boots, on snow, tore my achilles.

You did better than some people I know, the fact you had your boots on implies you'd made it onto your board *before* breaking something.

First night on holiday and one of my mates fell over drunk on the ice and broke his collarbone :D
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    lawman wrote:
    Considering I survive on utterly crap food, and drink quite abit on weekends, the fact I'm still around the 11 stone mark baffles me :lol:

Bawllocks, all you eat are scrambled eggs.
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Just agreed with someone at work to do a challenge - we both need to lose a stone, and she wants to lose it before going on holiday in September.

let the chocolate cravings begin!
  • Gazlar
    foxc_uk wrote:
    Just agreed with someone at work to do a challenge - we both need to lose a stone, and she wants to lose it before going on holiday in September.

You've probably lost a stone in leg hair ;)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Gazlar wrote:
    foxc_uk wrote:

You've probably lost a stone in leg hair ;)

I wish!!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    BMI means pretty much nothing though.

know, and I really don't want to get into that again....but per it's a rare thing!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 Posts: 505
    I reckon genetics has a lot to do with it as well - my folks are both pretty lean and I've never been fat. So if you're a fat c*** you can always blame your parents :)

Yep, my grandparents were thin, and my parents, and so am I, because I didn't eat piles of sh*t food when I was a kid, 3 generations ago there were very few obese people, and genetics don't change that fast, basically, if you eat a lot and don't move about a lot as a kid, by the time you hit your twenties, I think this f*cks your motabolism for life!
  • GhallTN6
    GhallTN6 wrote:
    I reckon genetics has a lot to do with it as well - my folks are both pretty lean and I've never been fat. So if you're a fat c*** you can always blame your parents :)

Yep, my grandparents were thin, and my parents, and so am I, because I didn't eat piles of sh*t food when I was a kid, 3 generations ago there were very few obese people, and genetics don't change that fast, basically, if you eat a lot and don't move about a lot as a kid, by the time you hit your twenties, I think this f*cks your motabolism for life!

Forgot to say that my kids are thin as well :)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,559
    GhallTN6 wrote:

Forgot to say that my kids are thin as well :)
    Well it's cheaper on food isn't it :)

I think when we were kids we probably got kicked out the door to go play outside more or wanted to do that as the interweb wasn't invented then and there was no Sky Sports. Seems like a lot of the yoof of today spend half their life on the internet - err, like we do now :P
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • GhallTN6
    how luck were we to grow up without mobile phones, Playstations/X Box/WII and the likes.. wish my kids had the same experience, one of my kids friends got an Ipod touch for his 9th Birthday, within two months the screen was smashed!
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    I've really got to get my arse into gear again and lose some weight, at 18 i was a 13st winger then broke my ankle which caused me to turn to drinking through boredom and i piled on weight. By 21 i was just over 17st but as i was playing prop for my local rugby team i never really bothered trying to shift it but i was training regular in the gym so natrually got down to around 16st untill 18 months ago i decided that i need to trim down as i was starting to get knee pain, by septemeber last year i'd gotten down to 13.5-14st
    (mainly through diet) which i was happy at then i had my "break down" and lost almost 3st within 2 months. Now putting weight back on is easy but doing it right is hard :( I've got back upto 14 1/2st but would like to lose a stone in the next month or so and i'm pretty sure if i shift my gut i'll be at my target weight, think i may go meat free for a month as that seemed to work well for me (when i say no meat it doesn't include bacon).
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Kaise
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    (when i say no meat it doesn't include bacon).

i was thinking about doing this but the meat i eat is always very lean or is fish. I never have been able to get rid of the layer of fat around my middle, i also have not been below 15st since i was 17.

i used to play prop but i havent got the time to commit to playing anymore, as i am sure that level of training and playi9ng would make a massive difference, but i am just going to stick with the running and weights for the time being
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Before I started cycling again I literally did very little active stuff. I was 5'10 and 16 stone in weight and I drank most nights and ate junk.

Now I cycle 20-30 miles at the weekend, walk 5 miles or so on a Sunday, I've cut out white bread, drinking has been cut down a lot, no bacons on week days and not often at weekends, no take-aways.... I've been doing it for 12 months and I weigh just under 16 stone.

:roll:

I do feel stronger though.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815
    kaiser83 wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    (when i say no meat it doesn't include bacon).

i was thinking about doing this but the meat i eat is always very lean or is fish. I never have been able to get rid of the layer of fat around my middle, i also have not been below 15st since i was 17.

i used to play prop but i havent got the time to commit to playing anymore, as i am sure that level of training and playi9ng would make a massive difference, but i am just going to stick with the running and weights for the time being

I do eat a lot of chicken but my main downfall is at weekends with pizza,kebabs and beer. My shoulders and chest are still pretty toned i just can't seem to shift the middle part athough i managed a 2 1/2 pack at one point but it just went tits up after that :oops:
    I do have a mate who works at the gym i train (when i can be bothered) at and he say's for £40 he can give me a course of Trembulone which would get me ripped within 6 weeks :shock: but i don't think i could put up with the insomnia, anger, cramps etc etc plus i'm not that big on sticking needles i me especially with a bovin fat stripping drug :?
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Gazlar
    Exactly the same boat, that middle bit dont shift, but to hell with it. I have a target weight range now between 13 1/2 and 14 stone which allows me to have breaks from being on it and allows me to relax on holiday, xmas etc (I used to get uptight when I was losing weight) I know I can shift half a stone in a couple of weeks with a pretty rigid excercise and diet plan so withing 1 week I'm slap bang in the middle of that zone. I find having that margin of error in my head makes it easier to achieve and keep than having that one number to aim at
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    There really is no convincing evidence that timing carbs makes any difference to weight loss ie. people not eating them after 5pm/6pm/7pm or whatever.

if you look at the diets of people who claim to have lost weight due to not eating carbs at night you'll see they are in calorie deficit and therefore bound to lose weight.

The same goes for fasted cardio - exercising in the morning before taking any food on board. Sounds like it should work but when tested makes no difference over and above the energy in vs energy out equation.

I'm a fat f***** at the moment because I work for myself at home mostly and there is nothing between me and the fridge all day. I have zero self-control in all sorts of areas and that includes food so I tend to eat loads. It's mostly healthy stuff but I've got into the habit of eating until I'm really, really full before being satisfied. I reckon that must be a common reason for being overweight - a disconnect between what you think of as being full and what a slim person thinks of being full.
  • Kaise
    I agree on the fasted cardio, although i cant train on a full stomach and need at least 2hrs to prevent me getting cramp so i always train fasted.

in terms of timed carbs, it does make sense though that if you eat carbs after 8, therefore not long before you go to bed (assuming a 10.30 sleep) then your body wont be using the energy and will store the carbs in the forms of glycogen and fats. If you then get up in the morning and hit the gym or go for a run thats fine, but if you dont more of the glycogen will be transferred to fats and not therough the mitachondria of the muscle cells.

The way to stop your self is to drink shed loads of water, that stops you eating!
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    kaiser83 wrote:
    in terms of timed carbs, it does make sense though that if you eat carbs after 8, therefore not long before you go to bed (assuming a 10.30 sleep) then your body wont be using the energy and will store the carbs in the forms of glycogen and fats. If you then get up in the morning and hit the gym or go for a run thats fine, but if you dont more of the glycogen will be transferred to fats and not therough the mitachondria of the muscle cells.

!

Yes it has an appealing theory and sounds even more so when using words like mitochondria! However the theory that it has no effect is equally convincing.

So the theory isn't very helpful. Since it's commonly touted as being a good methed then obviously the effects will be noticeable and show up in studies....but when tested, researchers are unable to produce statistically significant evidence that it has any effect over and above the energy in/out equation. I've looked for the papers showing it to be true and I can't find the evidence to support it. The papers I've managed to find show no effect.

In fact one, whilst not being a specific only to carb timing, showed that eating a large breakfast vs eating later in the day caused more muscle-loss in relation to concurrent fat loss. I.e. a negative effect. Granted it's just one study but so much for the "breakfast like a king..." theory.

For no BS nutritional information I rate Alan Aragon who is very grounded in research-backed nutrition but doesn't get overly excited by the results of small studies. One of his articles covering this and other "myths" is here: http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/06/1 ... dies-hard/