Im a fat fark and thats alright thread

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited July 2011 in The Crudcatcher
Right then as this seems to have kicked off in the morning thread i thought i would seperate it off as no doubt there will be some comments, mockery and 1 in 10 posts will have useful comments, so

Crazy88 wanted to know about Basal Metabolic Rate(BMR)
Kaiser83 wrote:
You need to work out your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and then use something like the free Livestrong Calorie Tracker and you should be well on your way.

Men:
Imperial
BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )
Metric
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

example me
66 + ( 13.7 x 109kg ) + ( 5 x 182cm ) - ( 6.8 x 28yrs )
=2278.9

i therefore need 2278.9 calories to just stay alive sitting here doing absolutely fark all, if i want to lose weight and keep it off i drop my intake down to 2000kcal a day and i will lose weight safely and it will remain off as long as i eat wisely.

You then need to take into account the amount of Kcals you burn during excercise.

Note: this is an average way of working things out and does not take in to account Body Composition, ie i have a Body Fat Percentage of 15% which is healthy

Comments

• Kaise
    Gazlar wrote:
    According to said formula I'm allowed 1893.77 a day, that can't be right can it? I'm hungry just thinking about 1893.77 calories

it is based on averages so you may have a very high metobolism for you average and if you have a particularly high muscle mass/low body fat percentage you will consume more calories.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I have to loose weight, the mother in law commented while i was in the pool on sunday,
    Your at the biggest i've ever seen you
    :evil:
    I have lost a lot since last year but its made me paranoid! I feel like a teenage girl!
    but for legal reasons i'm not allowed to touch them anymore[/b]
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • crazy88
    crazy88 Posts: 560
    kaiser83 wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    According to said formula I'm allowed 1893.77 a day, that can't be right can it? I'm hungry just thinking about 1893.77 calories

it is based on averages so you may have a very high metobolism for you average and if you have a particularly high muscle mass/low body fat percentage you will consume more calories.

You see, your comments there don't even seem like they're in English! I've heard of metabolism and that's about it. :) haha
    Out with the old, in with the new here.
  • Kaise
    and the question about cal, kcal and Cal

The small calorie or gram calorie (symbol: cal) approximates the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 °C. This is about 4.2 joules.

The large calorie, kilogram calorie, dietary calorie or food calorie (symbol: Cal or kcal) approximates the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 kilogram of water by 1 °C. This is exactly 1000 small calories or about 4.2 kilojoules.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Gazlar wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ ... e-diabetes :shock:
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    edited June 2011
    [Vague geek alert]

BMR is what your body uses just laying around not doing anything so you need to then multiply it by a figure based on what you do if you use the Harris Benedict Formula. I've always used x1.2 which is supposed to be for a sedentary lifestyle and then added exercise as and when I do it.
    It's not foolproof though as it underestimates if you're a skinny lightweight and overestimates if you're a tubby biffa (like me).
    So, Gaz, you should scoff about 2271 if you're sitting on your 'arris all day at work.

[/vague geek alert]

I eat too much shite is my problem. Had to buy a full suss as hardtails break under my enormous girth. Plus full suss is better anyway :lol:
  • crazy88
    Thanks for that!

It'll be hard to keep an eye on dinner time calories I think. I eat the same diet every day until 5pm and then it all goes wrong :)
  • Kaise
    i just stick with the rule, no carbs after 8pm, and any carbs should be wholegrain and in small portions, i have found that roasted veg like peppers, courgette and aubergine with fish is more filling than fish with greans and potatoes and its better for you

beer is the killer, thats why you never see a fat tramp in russia, vodka is low in kcal's, but then so is meth and cocaine! :?
  • crazy88
    I don't ever drink, so that's all good for me! :)

I try not to eat after 8 also, that's why I eat a huge tea though. I try to make sure i'm nice and full so that I don't want to snack all night.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    My formula is simple, eat every 2-3 hours 15-20 g protein, 15gs of fax maximum but often 3-10 g and eat what I want when I want. Carbs after 8 is irrelevant to me working shifts as it's often a pain to stick to. I excercise a couple of times a week and have shifted 4 and half stone like that in a couple of years
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    I'm definitely the heaviest and fattest I've ever been. 15 weeks of inactivity will do that to you.

Unfortunately I've also taken up drinking, which isn't going to help, that's for sure.

Dust anyone?
  • Gazlar
    foxc_uk wrote:
    Dust anyone?

no ta, that's why I've got anti theft dustcaps :)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • crazy88
    Was it drinking that caused the injured foot? :lol:

Gazlar, what kinds of things do you eat then?

I'll tell you my diet:

Breakfast: Bran fakes with semi skimmed milk

10am snack: An apple

Lunch is old school like when I was a kid: Soup with bread or a sandwich, crisps and a chocolate bar

Dinner is usually just a regular meal, lasagne, pasta bake, home made curry etc. We always make our own food, and try eat lots of vegetables.

If we get a night together away from decorating etc we'll often get a snack of sorts, perhaps a bowl of ice cream, some chocolate etc, but nothing really excessive.

I'm not really fat, but i'd like to be slimmer. I weigh just over 15 stone, and i'm 6'3. I have a belly when I sit down which would be nice if it just fecked off!
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    According to the formula, I need a pathetic amount of food to live :D 1800ish or so.

I have no plans for my food. If I don't feel very fit, I go do more moving around until I do.
  • foxc_uk
    well... I was hammered the night before...
    but ultimately, running in snowboard boots, on snow, tore my achilles.
  • Kaise
    crazy88 wrote:
    crisps and a chocolate bar....... a bowl of ice cream, some chocolate etc,

I'm not really fat, but i'd like to be slimmer. I weigh just over 15 stone, and i'm 6'3. I have a belly when I sit down which would be nice if it just fecked off!

this is your problem, chocolate is a fokker, its good now and again in the 70% cocoa part number but try and wswap the crisops for Brazil nuts, Walnuts, raisins, dried apricots, that kind of thing.

i eat, on average

Breakfast (9am) Porridge with seads and raisins or bacon and scrambled egg on brown bread

Snack (11am)
    Half a tin of tuna, Celery (finfely chopped) pickled onion (chopped) with a bit of balsamic
    vinegar

Lunch (12:30)
    Home made chili con carni with no rice, 2 bananas

Snack (3pm) Apple

Dinner (6.30-7)
    fish / lean steak / chicken with roasted veg and mash parsnip - or -
    Stuffed peppers - or - Soup with rye bread

My problem is i like a few drinks on the weekend and cider is my bag, 7.4% organic stuff!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Reading this made me want to eat a Twix
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,002
    foxc_uk wrote:

Ski boots FTW!

My problem is drinking red wine really, if I hit that on the head I'd probably loose a stone in a few months... but it tasts soooooooo good!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk wrote:

Ski boots FTW!
    !

Fail?
  • Gazlar
    I have a belly still, I think in most it's skin left over though. And I do have lapses around hold when I eat sh1t and then find it hard to hit rythm again

My day
    • onion bagel with icbinb light, leerdammer light and 3 slices wafer thin smoked ham
    • banana or low fat yoghurt or if I'm having a weights obsession a protein shake
    •religiously skinny muffin and skinny cappucino in starbucks
    •healthy sandwich (usually tesco low fat tuna)
    •more fruit or protein or both
    •lean meat with rice, pasta or veg faves being chicken and cheapo packet rice, low fat pasta and sauce with ham, pasta bake etc, or if I'm at work low fat ready meal, pasta salad or chicken kebab with BBQ and sweet chillisauce (grilled chicken, pitta plenty salad) maybe a weight watchers dessert

because I keep portion sizes down it keeps me full, stops me snacking lots and the body can digest around 20g protein and 15 g fat every couple of hours so it means I eat efficiently
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Kaise
    i missed the final step, sorry guys!
    Tartanyak wrote:
    According to the formula,

This is your BMR and is just to keep you alive just sitting there doing fark all

you need to work yout your Total Daily Energy Expenditure TDEE, so take that amount and then multiply by the following as necessay;

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    Extr. Active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

i therefore need
    2278.9 x 1.375 = 3133.48kcals per day to maintian my weight with the current excercise rate.

i am reducing mine by 20% to give me a calorific deficit, therefore losing weight
    3133.48 - 626.7 = 2506.8 kcal/per day
  • Kaise
    gaz the only way to get rid of the belly is to cut out dairy and hit the gym hard as well as doing the bike/cardio, i got rid of it once, for 3 weeks and then i am now back here!

im not that bothered about how i look as long as i can run 10k in an hour and be out on my bike all day, but i would like to fit in my clothes again and not have to fork out on new ones!

therefore more money for bike bling
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Man up boys.. ya bunch of girls blouses..

If you want to lose a few pounds have a good poo :p
  • Gazlar
    Oh yeah, the belly don't bother me i hate doing core excercise, it's unpleasant and leaves me walking like a friend of Dorothys after a particularly vigorous session of bury the corn dog. My dairy is down massively, I used to drink 4 pints if semi skimmed a day, I now drink 2l water instead. Like you I just want to feel good to enjoy things I enjoy like biking or footy. For me if I can feel physically ok biking is not excercise but a social activity, but feeling good helps reinforce that, it also means I can concentrate better on the technical side instead of trying not to die of exhaustion
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Gazlar wrote:
    I have a belly still,

Ms G did comment on how good you were looking when you dropped the forks off at the weekend. I think your work clothes, rather than what you normally wear around her (that hooker costume) might have helped too :wink:

That formula says I need 1700 calories per day. I'd say I eat double that, purely based on ther random times when I'm bored, look at the back of the packet and realise I've just eaten 2000 calories of shortbread before lunch. Not that I pay much attention to it because I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full! I'm still 10 stone (and 5' 11andabit", not a podgy dwarf). I probably bike every other day, either commuting or MTB, I suppose the commute, at (according to Endomondo, which is probably miles off) 800 calories each way adds a fair chunk, but then I eat more on the days I ride in.

Damn, I'm hungry now.....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gazlar
    bails87 wrote:
    Gazlar wrote:
    I have a belly still,

Ms G did comment on how good you were looking when you dropped the forks off at the weekend. I think your work clothes, rather than what you normally wear around her (that hooker costume) might have helped too :wink:..

yeah but ms G (not to be confused with Mrs G, me and bails aren't double teaming the same girl, not after last time, I couldn't see for a week, it was like acid) anyway what was I saying ms G is biased, I introduced you in the hope it would stop her stalking me or dressing me as a hooker. But to be fair to quote Ron Burgundy, "I look good, I mean, real good, HEY EVERYONE, COME AND SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK" that ironic self confidence, I still feel like I look like a piece of root Ginger covered in hair, but I also don't care :)
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I eat lots. I mean lots and lots.

Still don't put on weight.

Really annoys most people I know.

Even while I've been revising and not getting much excercise, just sitting at a desk all day I've still eaten quite a lot.
  • foxc_uk
    I hate you
  • Gazlar
    Wait until a new friend called metabolism comes to meet you, mine dropped in at 23 and I put on nearly 8 stone in 4 years
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp