Can U2 sell another ticket for a gig again after Glasto?

Coach H
Coach H Posts: 1,092
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
What rubbish!

I was all excited after watching a great set by Mumford and sons (who acording to Chris Moyles are only moonlighting from their Irish Removals firm of the same name). I got myself all set in front of the TV to watch some of my boyhood heroes only to witness one of the most lacklustre sets I have ever seen.

To be fair to U2, it was not their original line up. Daniel Day-Lewis' character from Gangs of New York was on guitar. Some bored session musician had replaced Larry Mullen on drums and although I think it was Adam Clayton on bass his sound tech had turned him off and told him so.

Bono was still Bono, but 25 years ago he was all edgy and full of passion. On Friday he looked like your average Dad dancing at a family wedding - he knew he used to be cool but was now trying so much too hard.

Then on Saturday the humiliation began. 'Mogadon for the Masses' Coldplay played a blinder. I only intended watching 10mins but watched the lot. The band members all looked interested and the lead singer connected with the audience. Really very good. How could U2 have been outplayed by this lot?

And so to tonight, Sunday, the U2 humiliation ends. I am currently watching Bouncy play a better set than U2. Has it really come to this?

I hope there are a lot of those dodged tax $/Euro's hidden away, because I cannot see anyone paying good money to see U2 live again now!
Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')

Comments

• ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    I know well known banjo player Edge from Pop Musics The U2's cousin.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    They weren't particularly good, but bands who have to play Glastonbury when it's hammering down with rain rarely are.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    RichN95 wrote:
    They weren't particularly good, but bands who have to play Glastonbury when it's hammering down with rain rarely are.

I respectfully disagree - I saw Muse* playing "New Born" whilst it was bucketing down - just like in the video. It was mint.

*May have been Reading - most festivals are a bit of a Blur!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think that the problem was U2, not the rain.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Only set I've seen so far was The Chemical Brothers and it was very good I thought. May have a look later for some other highlights.

To answer the OP, yeah..they'll still sell plenty of tickets in the future.
  • Coach H
    RichN95 wrote:

As I have already said, Mumford and Sons were very good and it was raining just as hard for them.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    ++1 for the Chemical Bros light show (woah!!!!!!!)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    They have been at it for 25 odd years.

S'longer than I have existed.

Having said that, I really hate U2 music so.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    They looked like the old men they now are. Sad really.

I like U2, but saw them live at Wembley years ago and wasn't that impressed. Surprised by their playlist at the weekend.

Also don't really get festivals (well at least the music at festivals). Would prefer to pick who I want to see and go and see them. Festivals seems to put too much random stuff together which never quite works for me.
    exercise.png
  • rick_chasey
    TheStone wrote:
    They looked like the old men they now are. Sad really.

I like U2, but saw them live at Wembley years ago and wasn't that impressed. Surprised by their playlist at the weekend.

Also don't really get festivals (well at least the music at festivals). Would prefer to pick who I want to see and go and see them. Festivals seems to put too much random stuff together which never quite works for me.

S'probably because you're not under the influence...
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    Never again

Bono - spend thousands on pink sunglasses and ask the working class to give to charity

classic!!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Last saw them in '87. They were good back in the day but that will be the last time.

Won't stop others from feeding the coffers though.......... :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Coach H
    They have been at it for 25 odd years. .

But Nico McBrain has been playing drums for Iron Maiden for 30 years next year and he puts 10x more into one song that Larry Mullen put into the whole set.
  • rick_chasey
    Coach H wrote:
    They have been at it for 25 odd years. .

But Nico McBrain has been playing drums for Iron Maiden for 30 years next year and he puts 10x more into one song that Larry Mullen put into the whole set.

Yeah but their music is 10x as sh!t so he has to make up for it somehow.

And that's saying something, since U2 is bloody awful.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Primal Scream played in the rain and went down a storm, not bad for a band first formed nearly 30 years ago!
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    They looked OK to me. What you'd expect, no more no less. They are in their 50's and were never particularly cool. Over the last few years they have reached the Rolling Stones stage of no longer being relevant but having a back catalogue that people will keep lapping up for another 25 years probably.
  • rick_chasey
    The best performance I saw on TV was probably Elbow - though I'm not that keen on their tunes.

Seemed to hit the tone right and get the crowd beaming and glowing in time for the headliners.

Was disappointed BBC didn't put more of QOTSA on, especially given the publicity radio 1 gave the BBC when they let radio 1 listeners pick their setlist.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    BigMat wrote:
    They looked OK to me. What you'd expect, no more no less. They are in their 50's and were never particularly cool. Over the last few years they have reached the Rolling Stones stage of no longer being relevant but having a back catalogue that people will keep lapping up for another 25 years probably.

Second that.

I haven't really seen anything of Glastonbury on the TV I thought was worth watching this year - no doubt I've missed quite a bit but caught little bits of some of the bigger acts - U2, Kool and the Gang, Elbow, Primal Scream (was expecting better as I like them normally) and Coldplay and didn't watch any of them to the end of their set. I must be getting old !

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Was disappointed BBC didn't put more of QOTSA on, especially given the publicity radio 1 gave the BBC when they let radio 1 listeners pick their setlist.

Really? One famous drummer does not a good band make!
  • rick_chasey
    morstar wrote:

QOTSA are everything the Foo Fighters are not. I.e. a group that makes and plays excellent tunes.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    morstar wrote:

Joey Castillo? Great drummer.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • watchfire
    watchfire Posts: 174
    I assumed he meant Alfredo Hernandez.....

That man has more groove in his kick pedal than all of Glastonbury put together.

Pointless thread really, when were U2 ever vital? Certainly not anytime in the last 25 years.
    My classifieds feedback thread for reference

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40046&t=12946446
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    I remember seeing them at uni in about 1981.

The gig only cost £1.45 'cos no-one had really heard of them (top bands like the Eurythmics or Gary Glitter were a massive £2!!).

Don't actually remember if they were any good, in fact I may have been a bit trollied, because when I took my jumper off and tried to tie it round my waist I had forgotten that I had a pint of cider in my hand, and I poured the whole lot down my front.

Now, who would like a Werthers original?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    250_bono.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Coldplay were awesome.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

I've found it very hard to take them at all seriously after he did.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Did anybody watch the jo Wiley interview after? Sycophantisism at its best with Bonio giving proof that you can suck your own d*ick whilst his band members sat looking frankly emabarresed as their leader droned on. Was so full of himself he referred to Damien Hirst as 'Hirsty' :x . Hope he never meets the queen or will be telling us about how he's mates with Liz

Ps Shame Wiley did not have the courage to ask bonehead about the "ballon"
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    It sometimes surprises me when people say 'oh I hate U2', then
    go on to say they love Coldplay, Take That etc.
    I don't like U2 but notice a lot of other bands admire them, and not just the
    bank balances. Out of all their albums, there are probably half a dozen
    songs the likes of Coldplay etc could never do e.g.
    - where the streets have no name and err...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    watchfire wrote:
    when were U2 ever vital? Certainly not anytime in the last 25 years.
    25 years ago is about the right answer - I have most of their first few albums (Boy, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire), I'm still amazed at the guitar work in particular - it was genuinely innovative at the time and you still don't get a lot like it - and I still get the same kick from listening to them as I did when I was at school. And yes, they were cool* then, I remember the NME were big fans.
    The received wisdom seems to be that they peaked with The Joshua Tree but I reckon it was sooner than that.

I often wonder how hard it must be to keep from disappearing up your own backside in the weird world of mega-stardom: this is my favourite take on it.

*except that "cool" was a word only used by sad 60s and 70s leftovers when I was at school